12-15-2009, 08:55 AM
Join Date: Nov 2009
Re: Winter meetings/ Red Sox rumors thread
Cuban left-handed pitcher Aroldis Chapman has an offer on the table from the Boston Red Sox worth $15.5 million, several sources told ESPN The Magazine's Jorge Arangure Jr.
The 21-year-old received the offer while he was still represented by Edwin Mejia, Arangure reported. Chapman is currently represented by the Hendricks brothers. Randy Hendricks told teams this week that they aren't even accepting offers at this point, so it's possible that Boston's offer has still been the only one Chapman has officially received.
On Tuesday, the Cuban defector is scheduled to throw for teams at a workout in Houston. The Red Sox are one of the teams that will be in attendance, Hendricks told ESPNBoston.com.
Hendricks said on Wednesday in Indianapolis that the purpose of the workout was simply an opportunity for teams to get to know Chapman since there still is an air of mystery surrounding him. Hendricks said Chapman would only throw a bullpen session and would not face any live hitters.
Chapman had a personal workout with the Boston Red Sox at Fenway Park earlier this fall and reportedly came away impressed with what he saw.
"Boston was one of the teams he was interested in from the start, and that certainly hasn't changed," Mejia, told The Boston Globe. "It was a very good visit."
Chapman, whose fastball was clocked at 102 mph at the World Baseball Classic this year, defected from the Cuban national team in August during a tournament in the Netherlands.
Jorge Arangure Jr. writes for ESPN The Magazine.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
We will Back next year.