08-21-2010, 06:24 PM
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: East Cup Cake
Re: Not your fathers old slow defense
Originally Posted by cstjohn17
The youth movement has arrived. This isn't your fathers slow Patriots defense anymore. In fact the Patriots might have the fastest secondary in the NFL.
All of these players will become part of the Patriots core defense for the next 3-5 years:
- Butler - 2nd round pick, one of the fastest CBs in his draft class (4.49)
- Mayo - 1st round pick, one of the fastest LBs in his class (4.54)
- Spikes - 2nd round pick, slow as hell but can play ball (4.9ish)
- McCourty - 1st round pick, good speed (4.38)
- Merriweather - 1st round pick, good speed (4.47)
- Chung - 2nd round pick, very good speed (4.49)
- Cunningham - 2nd round pick (4.86)
- Wilfork - Probowl player, 1st round pick
- Guyton - fastest LB in his class (4.47)
- Brace - showed some signs of improving, not fast, no, not fast at all
All times are from NFL Draft - CBSSports.com - NFLDraftScout.com
Concerns are at OLB, So far they have shown an inability to rush the QB and inability to set the edge.. not exactly what we are looking for. Their strength appears to be for pass defense, they may give up some rushing yards but with the offense putting up 25-30 PPG teams will be forced to pass the ball.
Football is back! Football is back! Football is back!
Not your fathers old slow defense
...2004 wasn't that long ago. OLB has been a vexing problem for well, well since my father watched the Pats.
The defensive backfield looks like it could be great for a while, next year with those two #1's we can draft a D-lineman and an OLB.
I Likes Spikes.