According to Yahoo the Pats are the 5th best team in the NFL and with the way they have played Iâ€™d say that is about right but I love the comment for the team:
â€ś5. New England Patriots (4-1) â€“ After an inconsistent start this season, cornerback Asante Samuel has been one of the Patriots' best defensive players. However, the team's record is a little hollow, with three of New England's wins coming against divisional teams that are a combined 5-10.â€ť
I think we all agree that the Pats have looked very uneven and have yet to play a complete game â€“ the Cincinnati game was close â€“ but to say the record is â€śhallowâ€ť because of the level of their opponents is a joke. Letâ€™s look at the rest of the top 10 according to Yahoo.
1. Chicago Bears (5-0) â€“ Chicago has looked great. They have destroyed teams they played but like NE three of their wins came against divisional teams (GB, DET and MIN) and their combined record is 4-11.
2. Indianapolis Colts (5-0) â€“ Combine record of ALL opponents that they beat is 8-15.
3. Philadelphia Eagles (4-1) â€“ Philly should be 5-0 but they are 4-1 and the records of the teams they beat: 6-12
4. Seattle Seahawks (3-1) â€“ This one I love. Seahawks 3 wins came against teams that are a combined 3-11. Thatâ€™s quality.
5. New England Patriots (4-1)
6. Cincinnati Bengals (3-1) â€“ Wins against KC (2-2), Cleveland (1-4) and Pittsburgh (1-3)
7. Denver Broncos (3-1) â€“ Offense has been pitiful but the have beat â€świnnersâ€ť. Record of teams they beat (KC, NE and Baltimore) is 11-4. Their only loss is to the 4-1 St Louis Rams.
8. Baltimore Ravens (4-1) â€“ Wins over 0-4 TB, 0-4 OAK and 1-4 CLE. Their win over 3-1 SD is looking like a fluke.
9. Atlanta Falcons (3-1) â€“ Beat one winning team â€“ 3-2 Carolina but itâ€™s other two wins are against the 0-4 Bucs and the 1-4 Cardinals.
10. San Diego Chargers (3-1) â€“ Combined record of the 3 teams they beat is 1-12.
Like I said â€“ I have no problem with the ranking. I think 5th is more than fair but donâ€™t say the Pats wins were against crappy teams because, except for Denver everyone has played against crappy teams.