PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Super Bowl XXXII on NFL-N got me thinking.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

jbb9s

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Of course, this is the one where Holmgren tells his D-line to let TD walk into the end zone late in the 4th so they would at least have a chance on offense with more time on the clock.....I gotta say this coaching decision actually crossed my mind during the last game the Patriots played.

Last edited:
Re: Super Bowl XXXVII on NFL-N got me thinking.....

I think you mean XXXII and it crossed my mind too BUT if we stop Addai on 3rd down they would of had to kick a field goal to tie. So in that situation you try to stop the offense.

yes, the thought crossed my mind as well, but definitely not on 3rd down

Weren't we winning at that point? And didn't Addai run in from more than two yards out? I could have sworn that's what I saw.

Weren't we winning at that point? And didn't Addai run in from more than two yards out? I could have sworn that's what I saw.

Are those rhetorical questions?

I never claimed it was the same score or down and distance as it was in XXXII, but more of an overall bad feeling deep dwon.

Last edited:
Are those rheotical questions?

I never claimed it was the same score or down and distance as it was in XXXII, but more of an overall bad feeling deep dwon.

You're a god damn liar.

You're a god damn liar.

At that point in the game, I felt like the Patriots had a better chance of scoring a touchdown with a full two minute drive than stopping the Colts for a field goal and possibly a second consecutive time in OT (if they were to lose the toss).

I would never do it up by 3.

The only time I think it's the higher percentage play is when you're tied or losing by less than 3 and your opponent's timeout situation is such that you can basically wind the clock down until the FG try.

Look at it from the offense's position. Imagine the Pats are in a tie game with 2 minutes left. First down at the 2. Opponent has no time outs. Would you rather: (1) kneel on the ball 3 times and kick a field goal with time expiring, or (2) go for the TD.

I pick number 1. You win the game over 90 percent of the time in that situation. I don't think the same is true of scoring the TD with 2:00, although it also depends on the offense of the team you're playing.

If you change the scenario just slightly -- same exactly situation except you're down by 1 it's a much harder call. When you're losing, the tendency is to want to take as many shots at getting points as you can. But actually, burning the clock to the last seconds and then trying a winning field goal is actually SMARTER when you're down 1 (or even moreso 2). The reason is that your odds of kicking a chip shot FG are much higher than your odds of holding your opponent from scoring a winning TD in two minutes. It's pretty hard to be that gutsy, but if we're talking percentages, it's the higher percentage play, and a great coach is the coach who picks the option that wins more than not.

Once you start moving the field goal out a few yards, put weather into the equation, or give your opponent a hypothetical time out or something, everything changes.

(One other way to play it is burn up clock with two plays -- about 1:25 -- then try the TD on third down. If you make it, you're up by more than an FG and your opponent has only about 20 to 25 seconds and no time outs. If you don't make it, you can kick -- just gives you two chances to score.)

Last edited:
Of course, this is the one where Holmgren tells his D-line to let TD walk into the end zone late in the 4th so they would at least have a chance on offense with more time on the clock.....I gotta say this coaching decision actually crossed my mind during the last game the Patriots played.

So your saying Belichick threw the game...:eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore