PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Sportscaster **** Enberg — voice of baseball, football, tennis and more — Dead

Deus Irae

PatsFans.com Retired Jersey Club
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Enberg, who got into the broadcast business accidentally and stayed in it to supplement his teacher’s salary, died Thursday morning at his La Jolla home, his wife, Barbara, told the San Diego Union-Tribune.

He was 82.

Barbara Enberg said the family found out later in the day when **** Enberg failed to get off a flight in Boston, where they were scheduled to meet. She said her husband had appeared to be waiting for a car that was set to shuttle him to the San Diego airport for a 6:30 a.m. flight.

“He was dressed with his bags packed at the door,” she said. “We think it was a heart attack.”

Sportscaster **** Enberg — voice of baseball, football, tennis and more — found dead at his La Jolla home at 82
http://www.latimes.com/local/obituaries/la-me-****-enberg-obit-20171221-story.html
Thank you for the memories, and prayers for your family.

God bless, and rest in peace.

RIP.

If we were playing Dead or Alive, I would have guessed dead.
He was only 82, but seems like he was on air forever.

RIP.

If we were playing Dead or Alive, I would have guessed dead.
He was only 82, but seems like he was on air forever.

He called 10 Super Bowls and 9 no hitters, among his other work.

Rip D.E.
I suppose don't recall seeing him in a while.

Latest pic?upload_2017-12-22_9-12-28.png

I grew up with **** Enberg. His announcing of major sports events is part of my childhood and teenage years.

In 85 he called the Pats' playoff upsets of the Raiduhs and the LOLPhins (and SB XX).

I thought he sucked up to Don Shula too much but we can't all be perfect.

From my view, in the late 70's and 80's he must have called close to 75% of the significant sporting events. Seems like NBC had all the big games. He was THE GUY.

Fond memories. Never a bad word was said about the man.

RIP.

Loved "Sports Challenge," he had a great style and through the unbelievable path he went on, for me the style remained intact. I'm wondering if there is anyone in sports broadcasting who covered as wide a range of events at the very top level of competition - Super Bowls, World Series, Olympics, Grand Slam Tennis, Basketball (he did play-by-play for the Magic-Bird NCAA title game, wow). I can't think of any who come close. He had a monumental career and stayed a humble and sunny personality all the way through. God Bless

When NBC had the AFC, it was first Curt Gowdy & Al DeRogatis, then **** Enberg & Merlin Olson.

He also covered Wimbledon, IIRC.

And who else remembers the quiz show he hosted that pitted members of one sports team vs members of another, during the non-baseball/football winter months?

Time, you are a Thief.

Edit: thanks to AQPE for remembering the name of the Sports Challenge.

How about that.

His wiki bio was an interesting read, he had a long successful ride starting with calling Indiana's Little 500.

RIP

When NBC had the AFC, it was first Curt Gowdy & Al DeRogatis, then **** Enberg & Merlin Olson.

He also covered Wimbledon, IIRC.

And who else remembers the quiz show he hosted that pitted members of one sports team vs members of another, during the non-baseball/football winter months?

Time, you are a Thief.

Edit: thanks to AQPE for remembering the name of the Sports Challenge.
Here is one with Cousy, Red and Bill Sharman.....

Grew up with **** enberg and Merlin Olsen doing games...his calls were awesome

His voice was part of the soundtrack of my life as a sports-fan.
RIP
82? Too young.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes