PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Sox Sign Nancy Drew

scout

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
2021 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
five years 70 million. Too bad they passed on Damon last year.

five years 70 million. Too bad they passed on Damon last year.
i feel like im going to puke.does theo have a clue?we could have kept damon and look at all the shortstops we could have kept or signed in the last three years .all better than lugo .:rolleyes: unbelieveable .eckstien o cab gonzo even edgar rentaria is better .

Last edited:
Because it's baseball, this front office can spend its way out of most blunders. Luckily for them, and us, it isn't football, or we'd be watching the equivalent of the Detroit Lions all summer.

This guy is doomed no matter what, the advance publicity about his injuries, make him suspect no matter what he does. Looks like another player we are going to run out of town on a rail, before opening day. Remember when we used to believe all of the stuff they did?? Guess times change.

wow, just wow. you guys need to shut off eei.

Damon? 30-something CFs are a worse investment than 30-something RFs. Besides, Drew is simply a better player (The only area where Damon is better than Drew is speed, and Drew is no slouch there). The only problem here is if Drew can't handle Boston, which I think we're all paranoid about thanks to Edgar.

It's sad that it is basically predestined that the fans are going to be tough on Drew, raising the likelihood of him struggling to adjust. Wouldn't it be great if we could actually encourage the guy and maybe be happy when he subsequently performs.

And patriotspride, just LOL. Eckstein? really, you'd be happy with him at short? Gonzo, didn't he have the second best year of his career offensively last year and his offense was still killing us? I'll agree that they should have simply resigned Cabrera, but at the time they wanted Edgar and we benefit from hindsight.

Just because you haven't paid any attention to Lugo doesn't mean he isn't any good. before last year you would have told everyone Gonzo sucked because you hadn't watched him daily. give Lugo the same chance.

The simple fact is that the sox lineup was killing them at many positions last year: CF, C, SS, 2B, RF, 3B (2nd half). Two of those deficiencies (RF, SS) have been eliminated and should be strengths next year. Now hopefully either or both of Coco (likely) and Varitek (not so much) can bounce back from injury years and Pedroia can be be even average and the Sox are looking pretty good.

wow, just wow. you guys need to shut off eei.

Damon? 30-something CFs are a worse investment than 30-something RFs. Besides, Drew is simply a better player (The only area where Damon is better than Drew is speed, and Drew is no slouch there). The only problem here is if Drew can't handle Boston, which I think we're all paranoid about thanks to Edgar.

It's sad that it is basically predestined that the fans are going to be tough on Drew, raising the likelihood of him struggling to adjust. Wouldn't it be great if we could actually encourage the guy and maybe be happy when he subsequently performs.

And patriotspride, just LOL. Eckstein? really, you'd be happy with him at short? Gonzo, didn't he have the second best year of his career offensively last year and his offense was still killing us? I'll agree that they should have simply resigned Cabrera, but at the time they wanted Edgar and we benefit from hindsight.

Just because you haven't paid any attention to Lugo doesn't mean he isn't any good. before last year you would have told everyone Gonzo sucked because you hadn't watched him daily. give Lugo the same chance.

The simple fact is that the sox lineup was killing them at many positions last year: CF, C, SS, 2B, RF, 3B (2nd half). Two of those deficiencies (RF, SS) have been eliminated and should be strengths next year. Now hopefully either or both of Coco (likely) and Varitek (not so much) can bounce back from injury years and Pedroia can be be even average and the Sox are looking pretty good.
ya eckstien really the mvp of the world series a over achiever .ill take him all day over lugo who i have watched play plenty of games .and in case you didnt notice edgar had a pretty good year with atlanta .i never would have told anyone gonzo sucked i happen to have family in fla and i have seen him up close plenty of times have you ?drew is better than damon thats just hillarious drew has a better arm thats it .good luck with that one. and good luck with drew a guy who coudnt handel st louis or la or atlanta and you think hes going to be able to some how handel the boston media and its fans .you should start tunning in weei because your clueless .

(The only area where Damon is better than Drew is speed, and Drew is no slouch there).

What about pitches per at bat? I didn't get to see a lot of LA this year.

Damon could drive pitchers nuts. Youk did this well for a long time, but really isn't a lead off hitter (and all his numbers dropped off towards the end of the season.)

ah, that is a good question. I knew that Drew has a better OBP than damon, and that he walks and strikes out more. typically this leads to more p/pa (pitches per plate appearance),

Damon has a career p/pa of 3.83 compared to Drew's 3.85. The last few years is a better measure than career though so these are their p/pa over the last 3 years:

Damon - 4.12 - 3.72 - 4.09
Drew - 3.97 - 3.88 - 3.98

Drew has been pretty consistent throughout his career. Johnny had a rather large jump upon moving from KC to Oakland and has maintained it since, which explains his career mark being lower than his last 3 seasons.

Damon appears to have a slight edge. I don't know if an extra .1 pitch per plate appearance (1 extra pitch every ten at-bats) really ads up to anything, but considering he draws fewer walks and strikes out less it shows that Damon does have a gift for seeing pitches. The 10+ pitch at-bats is one of his more memorable qualities.

This doesn't take other factors into affect though. We know that Oak, Bos, and NY have all encouraged Johhny to see a lot of pitches. I have no clue whether StL, Atl, and LA encouraged Drew to see more pitches.

As for Youk, he looked to simply tire out. He went from part-timer to the team relying on him every day.

*edit* I presented the information but never actually came out and stated that I was wrong. I was wrong, J D Drew is not better than Johhny Damon at seeing pitches. They look pretty even, with maybe Johnny a little (negligably) better.

Last edited:
Seems to me that its better to compare Drew to Trot rather than Damon since that's who he's replacing. I know the money's not close; but its not our money. NESN's still gonna come with basic Cable and the ticket prices are already set. Letting Damon go was obviously a mistake in hind site, and its clear we should have kept him last year and forgotten about JD Drew; but he was overpriced when the decision had to be made and there was no way to know that the market would rise quite so quickly.

I gotta wonder if Lugo's extra offensive punch is gonna make up for the human vacuum cleaner we had at Short in Agon. I know last year was the only time in his career that he did single digits in errors; but I liked that guy:(

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Back