PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Harbaugh is whining about the rules again.

Exactly. If a ballcarrier voluntarily moves the ball backwards forward progress does not apply.

This is the same as when a receiver catches the ball beyond the sticks, then while trying to evade tacklers runs back behind the sticks and is tackled. He does not get a first down. The ball will be spotted where he was tackled, not at the furthest downfield he got before retreating.

My favorite example of that came from Bob "The Fastest Human" Hayes in the late 60's early 70's who caught a big 4th down pass for a 1st down in a playoff game but decided to cut back toward the middle twice for extra yardage only to be tackled short of the first down. It was at the time the dumbest play that I ever saw.

Mabbe Harbaugh should not only learn the rules, but understand them

Turkeyneck beat me to it, but isn't Harbaugh wrong about this? I've seen ball carriers get wrapped up as they're approaching a first down and then extend the ball to try and get across the line. I've never seen them rule that the ball carrier has to also cross the first down line in addition to the football.

Something that had to bother Harbaugh after the game on Sunday is that he's spent a couple of years campaigning unsuccessfully for a rule change that would make a kickoff that goes through the uprights to be worth a point. After Tucker missed the game tying extra point, it had to eat at Harbaugh a bit that his team still would have had a chance to tie if the league had only approved his new rule.
When the ball is extended across the plane of the first down line, whether or not a first down is allowed is dependent upon the ball having at least 12.5 psi.

Let’s face it, harbawl wants to challenge not just any play, but also, any rule during the game that goes against the ratbirds

Every time I see him crying it makes me smile. Is that wrong?

The last time I checked, Harbawl was one of the 4 AFC reps (3 of which were from the AFCN) on the committee that makes rule changes. I'm sure he'll be working on it for next year and beyond.

But the problem is, that the game is supposed to fit the rules, not the rules suit an individual teams situation.

He should reserve his emotions, and stop challenging everything that he thinks his against him.

He's a ****

I was responding to Belichick not challenging calls, but you're correct, Harbawl is a ****.

If Harbaugh had coached when Lou Gorman was in charge of the Sox, the quote probably would have been "the sun will rise, the sun will set, Harbaugh will cry about rules, and I'll have lunch."

I'm kind of in to the brevity thing so glad he wasn't around then.

Great point.
I believe be seen refs in doubt call TD or call turnover so that it will get reviewed.
So the incorrectly called TD gets reviewed, the incorrectly called NOT TD doesn’t.
The incorrectly called turnover gets reversed. The incorrectly called NOT turnover doesn’t.
It happened last night. Julio fumbled but it was called incomplete. The giants had to use a challenge.
Maybe they should do a quick review to see if a review is warranted on all close to scores or turnovers?

If that is the play I'm thinking of I thought it was a catch and that his knee was just down before the ball got out. They did rule it a catch and fumble but I disagree.

1. Almost EVERY play should be reviewable.

2. If you have timeouts remaining, then you have an equal number of challenges remaining.
If you win a challenge, you don't lose a timeout; if you lose a challenge, then you lose a timeout.
If you no longer have timeouts remaining, then you no longer have challenges available.

3. Johnny Harbawl is a ****.

The major issue with the challenge rule is not the win two rule.

IMO, the challenge rule should be changed so that you can challenge anything, provided you specify what you're challenging: e.g., "I'm challenging whether #85 caught the ball" or "#74 committed holding."

I don’t know about this. I know Belichick has argued this as well, but I see a messy sccene if coaches can just challenge anything. Let’s say that Belichick challenges that Gordon was interfered with, but on the replay it shows there was both offensive and defensive pass interference? Would they call both? Would the other coach need to challenge the same play? What if the PI was on Gordon only? That’s just one example. I could really see this becoming a really crazy system. I think it’s correct to have a clear list of challengeable plays, such as fumbles, catches, down by contact, and spot of the ball. There are so many judgment 50/50 calls when it comes to things like holding, pass interference, etc. There’s a reason why in basketball there’s also a select list of challenges and in baseball too (could you imagine challenging balls and strikes, for example.)

I don’t know about this. I know Belichick has argued this as well, but I see a messy sccene if coaches can just challenge anything. Let’s say that Belichick challenges that Gordon was interfered with, but on the replay it shows there was both offensive and defensive pass interference? Would they call both? Would the other coach need to challenge the same play? What if the PI was on Gordon only? That’s just one example. I could really see this becoming a really crazy system. I think it’s correct to have a clear list of challengeable plays, such as fumbles, catches, down by contact, and spot of the ball. There are so many judgment 50/50 calls when it comes to things like holding, pass interference, etc. There’s a reason why in basketball there’s also a select list of challenges and in baseball too (could you imagine challenging balls and strikes, for example.)
The CFL expanded what coaches were allowed to challenge (PI, illegal contact, roughing the passer, etc.) and it was a disaster. Games were taking much longer to play because there were so many reviews. The players and fans hated it so much that the new commissioner changed the rule midway through last season and limited teams to one challenge per game.

Last edited:
So what's new? It's a family affair.

I don’t know about this. I know Belichick has argued this as well, but I see a messy sccene if coaches can just challenge anything. Let’s say that Belichick challenges that Gordon was interfered with, but on the replay it shows there was both offensive and defensive pass interference? Would they call both? Would the other coach need to challenge the same play?
Once you challenge a play, anything in the play becomes subject to review. I seem to remember some coach challenging a play where his guy was ruled down at the one. He challenged thinking his player scored a TD reaching for the pylon but upon further review it was ruled a fumble and the other team's ball. Does anyone remember the game I am talking about? I can't remember the coach or teams.

Once you challenge a play, anything in the play becomes subject to review. I seem to remember some coach challenging a play where his guy was ruled down at the one. He challenged thinking his player scored a TD reaching for the pylon but upon further review it was ruled a fumble and the other team's ball. Does anyone remember the game I am talking about? I can't remember the coach or teams.
Last season when John Fox was still HC of da Bears. Forget the opponent, but those lost points cost his team the win and cost himself his job.

Last season when John Fox was still HC of da Bears. Forget the opponent, but those lost points cost his team the win and cost himself his job.
LOLOLOLLLLLLLLLL!!!!! That's right! Thanks for jogging my memory....

The best part is that you *don't* get charged the timeout and it is considered a "successful challenge" :D:D

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Back