OT: Culpepper and Harrington

Status
Not open for further replies.

zippo59

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
from www.profootballtalk.com

CULPEPPER ON A SHORT LEASH

ESPN's Chris Mortensen reports that Dolphins coach Nick Saban could be bringing backup Joey Harrington off of the bench if starter Daunte Culpepper continues to stumble.

Mort says that Saban told Culpepper this week that he's not the same guy he used to be before tearing three knee ligaments, and that he has to get rid of the ball sooner.

The overriding concern is that, while Culpepper is physically recovered from the serious knee injury, he might not be mentally recovered.

Only problem with that assessment is he is the same guy - the one who minus Randy Moss falls flat on his face - not because of anything that happened to his knees, but because of what never happened between his ears.

The good news is he will likely rebound somewhat over the next two games by virtue of the schedule. Joey won't be up until after week 5. And then he'll show all his critics too....

Saban picked a starter and a backup who have never responded to constructive criticism or ever acknowledged their own shortcomings. Good luck coaching that Nick. See Belichick v. Bledsoe.

Last edited:
Where's Aqua to talk his way outta this one?

In 2004, when Culpepper had his greatest season, Moss was injured, hobbled and absent much of the time. So I do not attribute his success that year to Moss. There were several things working in his favor then he longer has: 1) he was playing in the NFC, and specifically the NFC North, the most rotten division ever. Poor tackling was the norm, poor defensive strategy common. The powerhouse was still GB, an organization rotting from within. 2) Scott Linehan was his O-coordinator. Linehan, despite the early returns with StLouis' offense this year, had a unique ability to explain complicated game plans and offensive and defensive concepts in simplified terms to Daunte: he coddled him, developing a special communicative bond. 3) Mobility. Daunte had an extra second or two to throw the ball than every other QB in the league. He is still operating with the same internal clock, but now finds himself, instead of free in the open field with clear passing lanes, engulfed by 300 lb linemen. (4) Confidence. Daunte is playing scared because of his peg-leg. A quarterback who plays with fear is already finished. He should be benched now until his knee improves, i.e. by December or next season. I believe next year he will be much improved and I expect Miami to be a legitimate playoff contender in '07. In '06, 9-7 would be a positive step forward for Saban. Too bad he didn't realize it.

Nobody in my area agreed with me (NW Suburbs of Chicago) but i said that Minnesota is the team that got the better of the Culpepper trade.

I honestly believe that.

I noticed that Bears fans have a tendency to build other players up that also played in the NFC north that used to kill their team.
They do it with Favre like crazy. They do it with Culpepper STILL. It's really really annoying.

They also love making up excuses before the games are actually played.
For example, last week the Daily Herald Newspaper had a column about how Shaun Rogers (? i think, DL fg block guy on Detroit) was so dominating and how the Detroit Defense was brand new and going to be extremely difficult to beat.
This way if they lost, it is b/c the Detroit defense is so damn good.

Sorry, this turned into an I-Hate-Chicago_Fans rant again. :violent:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

I wanted to see Culppeper choke some more.

Keegs said:
Nobody in my area agreed with me (NW Suburbs of Chicago) but i said that Minnesota is the team that got the better of the Culpepper trade.

I honestly believe that.

I noticed that Bears fans have a tendency to build other players up that also played in the NFC north that used to kill their team.
They do it with Favre like crazy. They do it with Culpepper STILL. It's really really annoying.

They also love making up excuses before the games are actually played.
For example, last week the Daily Herald Newspaper had a column about how Shaun Rogers (? i think, DL fg block guy on Detroit) was so dominating and how the Detroit Defense was brand new and going to be extremely difficult to beat.
This way if they lost, it is b/c the Detroit defense is so damn good.

Sorry, this turned into an I-Hate-Chicago_Fans rant again. :violent:

I agree with you 100%. Favre's reputation was the result of dominating a putrid division for years. He struck fear in the hearts of awful teams with insecure fan bases. Post '97, the Packers were the prettiest girl at an ugly ball, and his reputation was enhanced by the Bears' drought.

PonyExpress said:
In 2004, when Culpepper had his greatest season, Moss was injured, hobbled and absent much of the time. So I do not attribute his success that year to Moss. There were several things working in his favor then he longer has: 1) he was playing in the NFC, and specifically the NFC North, the most rotten division ever. Poor tackling was the norm, poor defensive strategy common. The powerhouse was still GB, an organization rotting from within. 2) Scott Linehan was his O-coordinator. Linehan, despite the early returns with StLouis' offense this year, had a unique ability to explain complicated game plans and offensive and defensive concepts in simplified terms to Daunte: he coddled him, developing a special communicative bond. 3) Mobility. Daunte had an extra second or two to throw the ball than every other QB in the league. He is still operating with the same internal clock, but now finds himself, instead of free in the open field with clear passing lanes, engulfed by 300 lb linemen. (4) Confidence. Daunte is playing scared because of his peg-leg. A quarterback who plays with fear is already finished. He should be benched now until his knee improves, i.e. by December or next season. I believe next year he will be much improved and I expect Miami to be a legitimate playoff contender in '07. In '06, 9-7 would be a positive step forward for Saban. Too bad he didn't realize it.

I agree that there was more to it than just Moss, but I disagree that he can be rehabbed successfully, particularly in the AFCE.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks. Guys like this were lost to all but the most fortuitous situations (like Linehan and the NFC in Peps case) in highschool. And the longer the delusion persists the tougher it is to coach around. Even Drew can self motivate in spurts, but he cannot maintain his game at that level consistently or long term and he will never acknowledge the underlying critical deficiency in HIS base game. It hurts too much to have to think all the time. Bledsoe is a slinger at heart - it's gotta be "fun". It's all about flash and ego for those guys. They are like the addict who can't rehab successfully until they hit rock bottom. Only the shelf life of the NFL QB is so limited they generally run out of time complete a turnaround after bottoming out. And with millions in the bank they tend to go home rather than try to crawl back up the ladder as a backup.

I think Culpepper, a year from now, can Qb a team to 10-6, with strong coaching, a good RB, a strong D etc. Will Miami ever beat the Pats in a big spot as long as Brady and BB are around? Never. The minute the Phins decided on Culpepper over Brees, their fate was sealed. :)

FYI all the talking heads on the ESPN Sunday show have bailed on Daunte (shoulda taken Brees) except for Deion who will never bail on a brotha unless the alternative is another brotha. ;)

NOOO!!!

Of all the games I could see today I am stuck with freaking Steelers/Bungles. I wanted to see Jacksonville vs Indy or at least Dolphins since they are in our division!!!

Kdo5 said:
NOOO!!!

Of all the games I could see today I am stuck with freaking Steelers/Bungles. I wanted to see Jacksonville vs Indy or at least Dolphins since they are in our division!!!

I wouldn't be too uspet. I think the Steelers-Bengals is going to be a pretty good game.

True but it means nothing to me.

I love the Jags and want to see them whoop the Colts or hopefully see the Dolphins choke again.

Kdo5 said:
True but it means nothing to me.

I love the Jags and want to see them whoop the Colts or hopefully see the Dolphins choke again.

It should mean something to you - we play Cincy in Cincy next week. :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents