OT: Athlete vs Entertainer

Status
Not open for further replies.

1960Pats

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
2022 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
Way back when I started watching sports, in the late 50's-early 60's, my goal was to see the athletes. I was into baseball, basketball, football and a bit of golf at the time.

Even in the earlier years the pro athletes made decent enough money, but nothing near the range they're in now. It's really remarkable how much more athletes make now than they did back then.

At some point, I don't remember exactly when, a union rep or a player rep commented that the players would be better off calling themselves entertainers instead of athletes. I think it was a baseball rep. Boy did that work.

I still get much more of a kick from the athleticism than the entertainment side of sports. How about you?

I don't see a huge difference. Nobody is "just an entertainer", they entertain people by being good at something, whether it's sports, music, being nude online, etc.

Way back when I started watching sports, in the late 50's-early 60's, my goal was to see the athletes. I was into baseball, basketball, football and a bit of golf at the time.

Even in the earlier years the pro athletes made decent enough money, but nothing near the range they're in now. It's really remarkable how much more athletes make now than they did back then.

At some point, I don't remember exactly when, a union rep or a player rep commented that the players would be better off calling themselves entertainers instead of athletes. I think it was a baseball rep. Boy did that work.

I still get much more of a kick from the athleticism than the entertainment side of sports. How about you?
Traditionally, successful pro athletes want to get into acting. They usually aren't good at it.

Some, however, turn out to be very talented, and have success. Like Alex Karras.

Likewise, successful actors want to be athletes. Namath's exchange with Mrs. Werblin is illuminating: Namath was furious about a writer and she said, "Joseph, it's show business!"

The line between player and personality has merged into an entertainer. With the advent of social media and its popularity we now know more about every player than we ever did. Consider this message board, and all of its nuances and assumptions.

The familiarity or "over familiarity" has led to a passion for individual personalities. Back in the day of Russell/Havlicek/Cousy/Celtics do not ever recall reading about their personal lives, likes or dislikes. Now we know everything about everyone without any reserve..

Not only is this their own doing, but a sign of the times that leads to this new phenomenon. Some believe they really know a players personality, but for the most part we only know what they and someone tells us. Difficult to really "know" a person unless you spend a lot of time with them. All of this is part or a continual cycling of "sports news" and public revelations of individuals or sharing what other people know about them.

I know there are a few big Schwarzenegger types but I'll take the athletes. What are we playing?

I don't see a huge difference. Nobody is "just an entertainer", they entertain people by being good at something, whether it's sports, music, being nude online, etc.
Sanchez could almost be considered “just an entertainer” (unless you consider hilarity from a backside a “skill”).

Traditionally, successful pro athletes want to get into acting. They usually aren't good at it.

Some, however, turn out to be very talented, and have success. Like Alex Karras.

Likewise, successful actors want to be athletes. Namath's exchange with Mrs. Werblin is illuminating: Namath was furious about a writer and she said, "Joseph, it's show business!"
Speaking of successful

new_england_patriots_oldasd.jpg

Sanchez could almost be considered “just an entertainer” (unless you consider hilarity from a backside a “skill”).

I do, in fact

For fans, sports is entertainment and players would be entertainers. This doesn't turn athletes into clowns or actors. Seems like a definitional/taxonomy game though at that point.

Merlin Olsen is another example of a successful athlete/actor, but there haven't been many. Does Chuck Connors count?

I think singing looks like a nice gig if you can get it. Maybe I shouldn't have goofed around in music class in the 5th grade.

As for the athlete vs entertainer discussion, I don't find it as entertaining when athletes try to be entertainers instead of athletes. I get my kicks from watching the top athletes make incredible plays.

Watching Russell block a shot or Bird make a pass.
Seeing Rice hit a rocket or Lynn make a catch.
Bobby just skating.
And Tom looking like a machine at crunch time.

Just seeing those players, and so many others, is all the entertainment that I ever needed.

The line between player and personality has merged into an entertainer. With the advent of social media and its popularity we now know more about every player than we ever did. Consider this message board, and all of its nuances and assumptions.

The familiarity or "over familiarity" has led to a passion for individual personalities. Back in the day of Russell/Havlicek/Cousy/Celtics do not ever recall reading about their personal lives, likes or dislikes. Now we know everything about everyone without any reserve..

Not only is this their own doing, but a sign of the times that leads to this new phenomenon. Some believe they really know a players personality, but for the most part we only know what they and someone tells us. Difficult to really "know" a person unless you spend a lot of time with them. All of this is part or a continual cycling of "sports news" and public revelations of individuals or sharing what other people know about them.

I know what you mean. My wife likes to watch a show because Michael Strahan is one of the hosts. Who knows what he's really like?

I've never really cared about the personal stuff or the salaries, but we've all been bombarded with stories from the media. They create the news.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News