PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

On the muffed punt: analysis and humor

ctpatsfan77

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Analysis, from Patriots.com:

"He sees Schooler is uncovered right there, so rather than pinning the ball where Gunner [Olszewski] is not going to have a chance to field it, now he's going to hit a higher ball there, a sky ball, which forces the ball to move more in the air."

Humor, from me, on reddit:
After the game, at Gunner's place, the doorbell rings. He opens the door and looks around; nobody's there, but on the ground, there's an envelope. The word "thanks" are scrawled on it in very messy block letters. Inside is $5,000 in cash. Off in the distance, he hears high-pitched woofs.

I had asked this in the other thread and obviously we were fortunate gunner muffed the kick but… shouldn’t we audible that to a pass to schooler in that situation? Its a free 20-30 yards. Is it just considered too risky?

I had asked this in the other thread and obviously we were fortunate gunner muffed the kick but… shouldn’t we audible that to a pass to schooler in that situation? Its a free 20-30 yards. Is it just considered too risky?
My guess is they hadn't practiced that enough to try it.

My guess is they hadn't practiced that enough to try it.

Probably, but I hope they do. I remember in 04 vinatieri found troy brown uncovered for an easy 2 pt conversion. Had to be by design though as nobody normally lines up wide on xp’s to my knowledge. Not quite as risky as a fake punt but I think its well worth the risk if someone is completely uncovered

Rewatching the game, it's absolutely insane that Gunner and Mills didn't call for fair catches. Gunner during the muffed punt and Mills during the last catch where he was immediately blasted by coverage. There was no upside in trying for a return for either of them. The earlier punt that Mills muffed into the end zone shouldn't have been fielded at all.

Rewatching the game, it's absolutely insane that Gunner and Mills didn't call for fair catches. Gunner during the muffed punt and Mills during the last catch where he was immediately blasted by coverage. There was no upside in trying for a return for either of them. The earlier punt that Mills muffed into the end zone shouldn't have been fielded at all.
FWIW, reports say that Gunner did call for a fair catch; I guess he did it before he came on-screen. But he could have just gotten out of the way instead.

FWIW, reports say that Gunner did call for a fair catch; I guess he did it before he came on-screen. But he could have just gotten out of the way instead.
That makes sense. If Gunner let it bounce it could've been killed inside the five. Of course he sill has to catch the thing.

He simply misjudged the ball. He thought he was going to catch it right up to the moment it hit him in the face.

So it wasn’t a good play for Gunner? Isn’t the punt receiver responsible for ensuring there are 11 on the field, he missed that, then he calls for a fair catch and doesn’t catch it? All pro to ah no

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
Back