New England Patriots News 7-07, AFC East Notes

Status
Not open for further replies.

PatsFans.com Article

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
New England Patriots News 7-07, AFC East Notes

Steve Balestrieri

2 (Two) - The number of fumbles Harris had in 477 career carries at Alabama. Bill Belichick loves sure-handed running backs and Harris is definitely that.

Continue reading...

(If you enjoyed this entry - hit the Thumbs Up/If not, hit the Thumbs down in this thread)

VERY interesting reading about "padding games" for young assistants. Think about it. That's 22 SEPARATE interactions on each play, times an average of 80+ plays per game. That would be 1,760 separate comments PER game that the assistant would be responsible to make, PLUS the time required to determine the 22 different responsibilities each player had, which had to be inferred by interpreting how the play unfolded....on EACH play. Breaking down ONE game in a 12 hour day would be an accomplishment, given it might take a rookie coach an hour or more to breakdown a SINGLE play to that kind of detail.

That is an INCREDIBLE amount of work, but when completed, the amount of knowledge that the young assistant would have gained would be immense. Then, when you add the vast gamut of games to be broken down, the understanding attained would be vast. Also it would be a very effective indicator of who can grasp the intricacies of football and who can't. It's like my Freshman year in college. I was pre-med. Then I took organic chem....then I wasn't. ;).

If the difference in the Patriots system is their team's understanding of the tiny details of what is makes up each play, then having coaches to can communicate those "details" is an integral factor in its success. Padding games is the perfect teaching tool. BTW- they probably learn more when they get back their "grade" than they did doing it. It's learning what they DIDN'T see the first time that's the secret sauce.

But here's a question for you to investigate, Steve. Just who ARE these young coaches that are undergoing this training. Who are the guys who are "in the pipeline" doing that drudge work. Right now, no one is telling us. IIRC it took Steve Bellichick around 4 years of being a "quality control" guy before they actually gave him a position to coach. Brian is in his 2nd or 3rd year of anonymity.

I'm guessing there are 3 of 4 other guys currently in that position as well. Given the dearth of position coaches right now, it would be a scoop on your part if you can find out who these potential future position coaches are.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case