PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots Daily News Thread NEW ARTICLE: Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes

Daily news threads with relevant news, stories, video, or additional content around the team. Feel free to contribute anything interesting you come across as well, which will hopefully make these helpful for people to keep up with what's going on with the team by having all the news in one place.

PatsFans.com Article

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
Ian Logue
After seeing fellow receiver DeVonta Smith receive a three-year extension from the club, Philadelphia Eagles wideout A.J. Brown made some noise on Thursday to seemingly express his frustration about not receiving one himself.

The post Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes appeared first on PatsFans.com.

Continue reading...

(If you enjoyed this entry - hit the Thumbs Up/If not, hit the Thumbs down in this thread)

Wolf kept the door open for the Patriots to move out of the #3 spot next week, admitting there are holes in the roster that need to be filled. “We’re open for business in the first round and in every round,” he said. “We have some holes we feel like we need to fill in the draft and you know, we’re a draft and develop team. The more picks we have, the better. But if there’s an opportunity to move up and strike if the board kind of recommends it, then we won’t be afraid to pull the trigger on that, either.”

I'm glad to read that they are not boxing themselves into making a pick - at least publicly. Better to keep all options open, considering this roster needs both quality and quantity upgrades.

Today we have a special edition that @italian pat patriot should enjoy.

Today in Patriots History
Pat Patriot

April 19, 1960
Cartoonist Phil Bissell drew what would become known as Pat Patriot as part of his newspaper duties.

Pat_named.jpg

Pat gets his name from that first cartoon. Courtesy Phil Bissell

Great article on Bissell with some Patriot history here:
The Story Behind Patriot Pat from the Cartoonist Who Created Him

In 1960, Boston Globe cartoonist Phil Bissell, working for $25 a day, was handed an assignment that would change his life—and the lives of fans of the brand-new AFL football team coming to Boston.
“Sports editor Jerry Nason came to me and he said, ‘They’ve decided to call the team the Boston Patriots. You better have a cartoon ready for tomorrow’s edition.’ I sat down, I drew that cartoon original of Pat in about 45 minutes,” Bissell said. “I thought about it for about two minutes and went to work. I had to get the day’s work out.”
The whereabouts of that original drawing are a source of some consternation for Bissell.
“In those days, I was told I worked for the paper, they owned everything I did, and that was all there was to it,” he said. “And I told them at that time, a cartoonist should be able to get his material back, and what they were being paid—what I was being paid—should just be for use of that cartoon.”
After submitting it for publication, Bissell never saw the original drawing again.
“When the cartoon appeared in the paper, Nason took it, he gave it—G-A-V-E—he gave it away to Billy Sullivan, who was the owner of the Patriots,” Bissell said.
To make matters worse, the drawing would meet an untimely demise. As Bissell describes it, “It went up in flames in Billy Sullivan’s summer home on Cape Cod with all the original cover programs.”
That said, Bissell describes his relationship with Sullivan, who owned the Patriots from 1960 to 1988, as one of the best he’s ever had.
“When he got the cartoon, he wrote me a very nice letter thanking me because Jerry said I gave my permission for them to have it. It never happened,” Bissell said.
Upon learning about this miscommunication, Sullivan called Bissell into his office and not only paid him $100 for the use of his illustration, but hired him to create the artwork for the team’s now-famous program covers—placing an inordinate amount of trust in the cartoonist.
“Billy Sullivan told me, ‘I don’t want to see any of your covers until I enter the stadium, because when I see the covers in the hands of the people, and they are getting a smile out of it, I know the cartoons have been successful,'” Bissell said. “And that’s the way Billy Sullivan worked. He was an awful good egg.”

98b89179681fe55777c8113762072918--new-england-patriots-jets.jpg

810e1ec5cca8d4816b3e66e5adecb50c--champs-patriots.jpg

8aaf95b8247e4d9951c1beb39042f1f0--new-england-patriots-old-school.jpg

19008_patriots.jpg

cover-4.jpg

cover_7-b.jpg

I was going to check out his book, but $599 for a used paperback?!!!
Maybe it was a typo and supposed to be $5.99.

PatsPa!: 65 Years of Cartoons, Caricatures & Creating a Football Icon | Amazon

In memory of a Pats Hall of Famer

Gil Santos
Born April 19, 1938 in Acushnet
Died April 19, 2018 in Raynham

530465_10151335120332372_34083448_n1.jpg

Patriots Hall of Fame: Gil Santos

Gil Santos was the voice of the Patriots for 36 seasons – touching five decades. The venerable Santos called 743 career Patriot games and earned the moniker “Voice of the New England Patriots.” Patriots owner and CEO Robert Kraft surprised Santos with the announcement that the legendary radio broadcaster would become the 20th person to be inducted into the Patriots Hall of Fame and just the second non-player to earn the honor as a contributor for his off-field contributions to the team. It is the highest honor the team can bestow an individual.
Santos began calling games for the Boston Patriots at Fenway Park in 1966. For the first five seasons, he provided color analysis alongside veteran play-by-play man Bob Starr. When the team moved to Foxborough in 1971, Santos moved into his current role as play-by-play voice of the Patriots (1971-79).
WBZ lost the Patriots radio rights in the 1980s, but got them back in 1991 at which time it returned Santos to his natural position as Voice of the New England Patriots, a position he held for the 22 more seasons until his retirement following the 2012 season. The veteran play-by-play broadcaster was also the sports director of WBZ News Radio in Boston, where he earned dozens of awards and honors for his reporting, sportscasting and play-by-play excellence.
He retired from WBZ after 38 years in 2009 and was inducted into the Massachusetts Broadcasters Hall of Fame that year. In addition to his work at WBZ, the skilled play-by-play broadcaster also called basketball games for the Boston Celtics and Providence Friars, as well as football games for the Penn State Nittany Lions, Boston College Eagles, Brown Bears and Boston Breakers of the USFL. Inducted 2013.

Mark van Eeghen

Happy 72nd birthday to Mark van Eeghen
Born April 19, 1952 in Cambridge
Patriot FB, 1982-1983; uniform #34
Claimed off waivers from Oakland on September 7, 1982

75936-5475783Fr.jpg

Mark van Eeghen was born in Cambridge Mass, grew up in Cranston RI, and went to college at Colgate. While he spent his last two NFL seasons in Foxboro, van Eeghen is primarily known as an Oakland running back. The Raiders released him when they drafted Marcus Allen, and the Pats picked him up at the age of 30. Van Eeghen spent eight seasons with the Raiders and was a Pro Bowler in 1977. Mark was the leading rusher in Super Bowl 15 when Jim Plunkett threw three touchdown passes, and Tom Flores' club defeated **** Vermeil's Philadelphia Eagles 27-10.

mark_van_eeghen_autographed_signed_sports_illustrated_autographs_p2866862.jpg

In his time with the Patriots van Eeghen appeared in 24 games with 16 starts, totaling 860 yards from scrimmage with three touchdowns. In the 1982 Snow Plow Game he rushed for 100 yards on 22 carries as the Patriots beat Miami 3-0.

A bit of trivia: his daughter Amber was a Patriot cheerleader, and later married Dan Koppen. In his post-NFL career van Eeghen returned to Rhode Island, working in commercial insurance and then commercial real estate.

fa6b5a1fbf_amber.jpg

2/14/05: A Patriots cheerleader: Catching up with Mark van Eeghen | Boston.com

“I definitely enjoyed coming back to (New England) to play,” said Van Eeghen. “I went out to California and had a wonderful experience there, but that being said home is home. When things were winding down out there the opportunity became available here in New England and it just was an awesome opportunity.
“Those were the Ron Meyer years and it was a chance to play with some truly great players and great individuals. Also, the ability to get into my car and be thirty minutes from home was a very good experience.”
“I’m so excited and it’s been a wonderful thing to watch and develop from 2001 when they upset the Rams,” said Van Eeghen. “Little did we know back then they were laying the foundation for what has developed. The consistency is what’s huge to me and they rarely lay an egg, especially in a game that means something. That’s a tough thing to do in sports, especially at that level.”

Jim Donaldson: Mark van Eeghen remains loyal to his Raider roots

Mark van Eeghen, Raiders Fullback January 2, 1978

Chase Winovich

Happy 29th birthday to Mark van Eeghen
Born April 19, 1995 in Jefferson Hills, PA
Patriot DE/OLB, 2019-21; uniform #50
Third round pick of the 2019 draft, from Michigan

In three seasons Winovich played in 45 games with nine starts in three seasons with New England. After registering 11 sacks, 22 QB hits and ten tackles for a loss in his first two seasons, his production dropped to zero sacks, zero tackles for a loss and one QB hit in 2021. He was traded to Cleveland for linebacker Mack Wilson on March 16, 2022.

Good trade, bad trades and more April 19 trivia

April 19, 2004
Cincinnati trades Corey Dillon to the Patriots for a second round draft pick.
Clock-Killin' Dillon was named to his fourth Pro Bowl in 2004, rushing for 1,635 yards and 12 touchdowns as the Patriots defeated Philadelphia 24-21 for their third Super Bowl championship.

AP_05020603291.jpg

April 19, 1991
Two days befor the 1991 draft the Patriots trade away the #1 pick of the draft to the Dallas Cowboys, who use that selection on DT Russell Maryland. In exchange the Pats receive the #11 pick (Pat Harlow), a second (#41, Jerome Henderson), Ron Francis, David Howard and Eugene Lockhart. No offense to Harlow or Lockhart, but this was not a good trade - even if Maryland did not live up to his draft status.

April 19, 1973
Pats trade Jim Cheyunski, Halvor Hagen and Mike Montler to Buffalo for Edgar Chandler, Jeff Lyman and Wayne Patrick.
This was far worse than the 1991 trade. Montler would be part of the offensive line that paved the way to OJ Simpson setting an NFL record by rushing for 2003 yards in 14 games that season. Cheyunski was a good middle linebacker, and Hagen was quality depth. Meanwhile Chandler lasted just one season at MLB, then never played again - while Lyman and Patrick never played a single down for the Pats.

April 19, 2010
New England re-signs restricted free agent Pierre Woods to a one-year contract. The backup linebacker and special teamer played in 61 regular and post season games for the Patriots.

April 19, 2005
RFA WR David Givens is re-signed to a on-year contract; he would depart to Tennessee in free agency a year later.
ERFA DB Guss Scott is re-signed to a one-year contract; the third round bust of the 2004 draft appeared in just six games for the Pats.
RFA DE Jarvis Green is re-signed to a one-year contract; Green was a quality lineman for the Pats from 2002 to 2009.

April 19, 2002
Free agent RT Grant Williams is re-signed to a one-year contract. Rookie Tom Ashworth would take his palce on the line, and Williams was traded to the Rams for a 7th round draft pick during training camp.

April 19, 2001
ERFA WR Shockmain Davis is re-signed to a one-year contract. While his name is awesome, his performance was not. In 12 games with the Patriots Shockmain had two receptions on 11 targets, for 12 yards.

April 19, 2000
The Patriots sign 19 undrafted rookie free agents. Only one makes a mark for himself: long snapper Lonie Paxton, the player who invented the Snow Angel celebration.

April 19, 1998
Day Two (Rounds 4-7) of the NFL Draft
4.115 - DT Leonta Rheams, Houston - one season, six games, zero starts
5.145 - LB Ron Merkerson, Colorado - zero NFL games
6.176 - RB Harold Shaw, Southern Mississippi - 3 seasons, 22 touches, 77 yards from scrimmage
7.211 - G Jason Anderson - BYU - 2 seasons, 16 games, zero starts

April 19, 1997
Day One (Rounds 1-3) of the NFL Draft
1.29 - CB Chris Canty, Kansas State
Canty lasted just two seasons with the Pats, with one pick, one forced fumble and two fumble recoveries.
2.59 - DL Brandon Mitchell, Texas A&M
Mitchell played in 62 games over five seasons with the Pats, earning a ring from Super Bowl 36.
3.61 - this pick was one of four the Patriots received from the Jets as compensation for their signing/tampering with Bill Parcells.
Unfortunately the Pats did not do much with those picks, selecting Shaw, Damon Denson, Tony Simmons and Andy Katzenmoyer.
3.61 - RB Sedrick Shaw, Iowa
Shaw rushed for 236 yards and no touchdowns over two seasons with the Patriots.
3.89 - S Chris Carter, Texas
Carter played in 47 games with 15 starts over three seasons with the Pats, with three interceptions and two fumble recoveries.

April 19, 1994
New England re-signs ERFAs Terry Ray and Mark Staten. Ray was a strong safety who played in 63 games for the Pats from 1993 to 1996; Staten never played in the NFL.

April 19, 1988
The Patriots sign free agent Jason Staurovsky. The Tulsa alum would handle kicking duties for the Pats off and on for four seasons.

April 19, 1970
Free agent DE Mel Witt is re-signed. Witt played in 35 games with 13 starts for the Pats from 1967-1970.

April 19, 1969
Guard Len St Jean is re-signed. A ninth round draft pick by the Patriots in 1964, St Jean played in every single game for the Pats from 1964 to 1973. He was an AFL All-Star in 1966, and is a member of the Patriots All-1960s Team.

One other pro football player with New England connections:

Joe Scibelli was born April 19, 1939 in Springfield MA
Died December 11, 1991 at the age of 52 in Boston

Scibelli was a western Mass native: born in Springfield, graduated from Springfield Cathedral High School, and attended American International College in Springfield. He transferred to Notre Dame and then spent 15 years at right guard for the Los Angeles Rams. Scibelli played in 202 NFL games, plus six playoff games.

usatsi_7758020-e1591230313236.jpg

Zero Games Played = Two Super Bowl Rings

Happy 33rd birthday to Tyler Gaffney
Born April 20, 1991 in San Diego
Patriot RB 2014-2017
Uniform #31 ('14), #36 ('15), #35 ('16), ? ('21)

Tyler Gaffney earned a scholarship to Stanford after scoring 99 touchdowns in high school. He was a very good baseball outfielder as well, and left school for a year to play minor league baseball in the Pirates organization. Despite batting .297 with an on base percentage of .483, Gaffney elected to return to Stanford to focus on football.

Tyler_Gaffney_102911_RobE_001.JPG

Carolina selected Gaffney in the sixth round of the 2014 draft. He was penciled in as the Panthers' third running back on their depth chart, but his rookie season ended due to a torn lateral meniscus in his left knee during training camp. Thinking nobody would waste a roster spot on a player out for the season, Carolina cut Gaffney with the expectation of re-signing him after clearing waivers to their injured reserve list. The gamble backfired as the Pats claimed the running back. After spending the entire 2014 season on IR, Gaffney received a ring for the Pats victory over Seattle in Super Bowl 49.

patriots-bring-back-rb-tyler-gaffney.jpg

Still not 100% healthy, Gaffney was waived in mid-August of 2015. After going unclaimed he spent his second straight season on IR. Then in September of 2016 it was the same story: waived/injured, cleared waivers and re-signed. He was released with an injury settlement, but later that season re-signed to the Pats practice squad. Gaffney was promoted to the 53-man roster for the week 8 victory at Buffalo, but did not play. After the bye week he ended up back on the practice squad. At the end of the season he received a second ring, for the "28-3" Super Bowl.

8/13/2016: Playing in the NFL has been a long time coming for Patriots' Tyler Gaffney

The Patriots released Gaffney prior to the draft in 2017. With James White, Dion Lewis, Rex Burkhead, James Develin and DJ Foster already on the roster it made more sense to just add an undrafted rookie with healthy knees as training camp fodder. Gaffney eventually signed with Jacksonville, but once again he was waived/injured, seemingly ending his NFL career. At that point he returned to baseball with the Pittsburgh Pirates and he had another good minor league season at the single-A level in 2018. However he couldn't bat his weight once promoted to double-AA ball, and retired from pro baseball on February 23, 2019 after no teams expressed interest in signing him.

ghows-TX-ebd2865a-2934-4bf4-bc6b-97bbe1d698fd-f3ff68fc.jpeg

Early in 2020 he had a couple of tryouts, but no contracts. On December 22, 2020 Gaffney was signed to the 49ers practice squad. After the season ended he was not signed to a futures contract, and as a free agent re-signed with the Patriots after the draft. Tyler was released early in training camp, marking the end of his professional sports career.

More April 20 Pats Trivia

Happy 46th birthday to Omare Lowe
Born April 20, 1978 in Seattle
Patriot safety, 2004; uniform #23
Signed as a free agent to the Practice Squad on November 16, 2004

According to his Washington Huskies bio, in high school Omare Lowe was an option QB with 15 TD and over 900 yards rushing. His best sport though was track; at the 1997 state championships he won the 110 high hurdles (14.52), the 300 intermediate hurdles (37.94) and was part of championship 1,600-meter relay team (3:23.07).

From 2002-08 Lowe was at some point signed with the Dolphins (who drafted him in the fifth round in 2002), Titans, Jets, Vikings, Redskins, Patriots, Seahawks, Falcons, Seahawks again, and Jaguars. Lowe appeared in 43 NFL games, with 32 of those in 2005-06 for Atlanta; most of the rest of his NFL days were on practice squads.

Lowe spent two weeks in November of 2004 on the Pats practice squad and then played in three games for the Patriots late in the 2004 season. He too received a Super Bowl ring from the Patriots, though at least Omare was wearing a uniform during a real game. Lowe was part of the patchwork defensive secondary that was pieced together after Ty Law, Tyrone Poole and Guss Scott all went on injured reserve.

Omare%27s%20SB%20ring.preview.jpg

12/28/14: Patriots Re-Sign S Je'rod Cherry; S Omare Lowe Re-Joins Practice Squad

The New England Patriots re-signed safety Je'Rod Cherry to the 53-man roster today. The team subsequently announced that safety Omare Lowe cleared waivers last night and was re-signed to the Patriots practice squad today.​
Lowe, 26, re-joins the practice squad after having spent three stints on the Patriots' active roster this season. He was recently signed from the practice squad to the active roster (Dec. 25) and participated in the Patriots' 23-7 victory over the Jets last Sunday before being waived the following day.​
The 6-foot-1-inch, 195-pounder has played in a total of six NFL games in his career and recorded one special teams tackle. He has played in three games for New England in 2004, participating against Baltimore on Nov. 28, at Miami on Dec. 20 and at the New York Jets on Dec. 26. The University of Washington product was originally drafted by the Miami Dolphins in the fifth round (161st overall) of the 2002 NFL Draft.​
Lowe has also spent time on the active rosters of the Miami Dolphins (2002) and the New York Jets (2003), while also seeing time with the practice squads of the Tennessee Titans (2003) and Minnesota Vikings (2004). He played in two games for the Jets last season and saw time in one game with Miami as a rookie in 2002.​

In his post-NFL life Omare Lowe works as a project manager for Armata Construction Services, a disaster-reconstruction company in Seattle.

John Simerson was born April 20, 1935 in Honolulu
Died August 2, 1992 at the age of 57
Patriot C/G, 1961; uniform #75

The 6'3" 275 lb Simerson was born and raised in Hawaii. He was a tackle at Purdue but converted to center in the pros. Simerson was a late (254th overall) draft pick by the Eagles in 1957. He played in a total of 43 games with Philly, Pittsburgh, Houston and the Pats.

Keeping the championship ring theme going, Simerson appeared in all 14 games for the Oilers when Houston became the first team to win an American Football League title. The following season Simerson played in ten games for the Patriots, backing up former Boilermaker teammate Walt Cudzik.

image_access_800.jpg

John Simerson Photo at Purdue

John Simerson Obituary

After a knee injury ended his football career, Simerson went to work for Willig Co., one of the largest freight lines on the West Coast. Simerson worked his way up the company, and had served as president and chief executive officer for the past ten years.​

Happy 33rd birthday to Mike Purcell
Born April 20, 1991 in Highlands Ranch, Colorado
Patriot practice squad DT, 2001

Purcell was undrafted and spent three seasons with San Francisco from 2014-2016, appearing in 25 games with eight starts. He was then part of the practice squad for the Bears, Panthers and Patriots, and was also under contract with the Rams and Chiefs. He eventually caught on with Denver, playing in 65 games with 37 starts since 2019.

58fbbe00ab9cf.image.jpg

Other pro football players with New England connections:

Luke Kuechly turns 33 (born 4/20/1991)
The linebacker was a two-time All-American at Boston College; his #40 jersey was retired by BC in 2016. He was drafted ninth overall in the 2012 draft by Carolina. Kuechly was named to the Pro Bowls seven times and is a four time All Pro. He was the NFL Defensive Rookie of the Year in 2012 and NFL Defensive Player of the Year in 2013. Kuechly was plagued with concussions and retired in 2020, at the age of 29. Luke is considered to be a favorite to be voted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame in 2025.

Ernie Stautner, 4/20/1925-2/16/2006
The German-born Stautner is another alumnus of Boston College. Stautner was a guard on offense and defensive tackle and end on defense. He played for the Steelers from 1950 through 1963, remarkably missing just one game in those 14 years. Stautner was named to the Pro Bowl nine times and was inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame in 1969. He then went on to became the defensive coordinator under Tom Landry for the Dallas Cowboys from 1973 to 1988.

Richard Jarvis turns 29 (born 4/20/95)
Born in Watertown; Belmont Hill HS; Brown University
LB with the Falcons, Jaguars and Bills, 2018

With today being 4/20, who goes into the Patriots all-time 420 team?

Nominees include Willie Andrews, Josh Gordon, Bob Gladieux, Tony Collins, Mack Herron, Terry Glenn, LeGarrette Blount, Randy Moss, Kevin Faulk, Brandon Browner, Aaron Hernandez, Jermaine Cunningham, Brandon Spikes, Wes Welker, Brandon Bolden and Brian Tyms.

Torry Holt and other 420 Transactions

April 20, 2010
The Patriots sign veteran free agent wide receiver Torry Holt to a on-year contract.

Even though Holt was 33, I thought this was a good signing at the time. Holt was a seven-time Pro Bowler that ranked in the top ten all time for career receiving yards. While his production had slipped the previous two years, he was durable and still good for 50+ receptions and 700+ yards.

GYI0061212194.jpg

Before the season began Holt unfortunately suffered a knee injury that would require surgery. On August 15 he was placed on season ending injured reserve; he was released two days later with an injury settlement.

1b6d4a_holt.jpg

Torry Holt finished his NFL career with 920 receptions for 13,382 yards and 74 touchdowns.

The consensus among the media that cover the New England Patriots on a regular basis was that veteran wide receiver Torry Holt was on the proverbial “bubble.”​
On Sunday, the “bubble” burst.​
Suffering from a knee injury that will require surgery, the NFL’s receiver of the past decade was placed on the injured reserve list Sunday, thus ending his season before it began. With 868 catches for 12,594 yards, Holt led the NFL in receptions and receiving yardage from 2000-2009.​
The second Patriot to be placed on IR in three days, Holt joins veteran defensive lineman Ty Warren (hip) on the list.​

April 20, 2007
Offensive tackle Sean Bubin retires.

Originally a fifth-round pick out of the University of Illinois in 2004 by Jacksonville, Bubin spent time with the Jaguars, Lions and Vikings. He has also played for the Hamburg Sea Devils of NFL Europe. Bubin spent half of 2006 on the Pats practice squad.

April 20, 2002
Day One (Rounds 1-3) of the 2002 NFL Annual Selection Meeting
The Theatre at Madison Square Garden, New York City

The Patriots made a rare move, trading up in round one. The Pats sent their first round pick (#32), third round pick (#96) and seventh round pick (#237) to Washington for the 21st overall pick of the draft. The Redskins have just traded down, sending their #18 to Oakland for #21 and a third round pick. New England used that pick on Daniel Graham, a tight end from Colorado.

While Graham was a decent player, he never quite lived up to his draft status. In his five seasons with the Patriots he averaged 24 receptions for 279 yards and 3.4 touchdowns per year. Graham spent several years with Denver and finished his NFL career with 2,490 yards receiving and 25 touchdowns.

Unfortunately the player the Patriots should have selected went three spots later to Baltimore: Hall of Famer Ed Reed, free safety for the Miami Hurricanes.

2.65 - WR Deion Branch, Louisville
The Pats won two super bowls with Branch, but it is a shame that they were unable to re-sign him as a free agent. The 2006 team could have really used him, and by the time he reurned in 2010 he was 31 and starting to slow down.

3.96 - traded away in the draft pick deal for Daniel Graham

April 20, 1999
After the draft is completed the Patriots sign ten undrafted rookies; only one would ever play in the NFL.
NT Garrett Johnson, Illinois: played in eight games with two starts for the Pats in 2000

April 20, 1997
Day Two (rounds 4-7) of the NFL Annual Player Selection Meeting
Paramount Theatre at Madison Square Garden, New York City

The first pick of the fourth round was one of four draft picks that New England received from the Jets for tampering with and hiring Bill Parcells. None worked out well for the Pats; this was the worst of those four.
4.97 - G Damon Denson, Michigan
Denson played in 14 games with three starts over three seasons with the Pats, then never played in the NFL again. The next player selected was WR Derrick Mason by Tennessee.
4.125 - OT Ed Ellis, Buffalo
The Hamden CT native played in nine games with one start in three seasons for the Pats. He was a bit more successful over the next four years with Washington and San Diego.
5.159 - LB Vernon Crawford, Florida State
Crawford was a good backup/special teams player but an injury derailed his NFL career. He stayed in the area and later coached at Randolph High School, Curry College and Seekonk High School - and won three national titles as coach for Boston's full contact semi-pro women's football teams.
6.192 - WR Tony Gaiter, Miami
Gaiter was a special teamer who played in every game in 1997 before signing with San Diego.
7.230 - OT Scott Rehberg, Central Michigan
Rehberg only appeared in eight games in two seasons with the Patriots, but then became a starter for Cleveland and swing OL for the Bengals.

April 20, 1996
Day One (rounds 1-3) of the NFL Annual Player Selection Meeting

New England made the most selections of any team in this draft, with 13.
The final Bill Parcells/Bobby Grier draft was a good one, even if Tuna didn't like the first pick.

1.7 -- WR Terry Glenn, Ohio State
2.36 - SS Lawyer Milloy, Washington
3.86 - LB Tedy Bruschi, Arizona

Three days earlier the Patriots had traded RT Pat Harlow to Oakland for a second round pick, 2.57.
On draft day the Pats sent that pick back to the Raiders for 3.76, 4.124 and 5.149.

In 1995 the Patriots had traded their third round pick (3.68) to Kansas City for center Dave Wohlabaugh.

April 20, 1995
New England re-signs a pair of exclusive rights free agents: RB Corey Croom and OL Mike Gisler.

April 20, 1988
The Patriots re-sign OLB Andre Tippett. The future Hall of Famer would be named to his fifth consecutive Pro Bowl that year.

Local QB is first Patriot to wear #12

In memory of Don Allard, who would have turned 88 today
Born April 21, 1936 in Cambridge
Died May 4, 2002 at age 66 in Winchester
Patriot QB, 1962; uniform #12
Signed as a free agent approximately July 1, 1961

Don Allard grew up in Somerville and spent three years as quarterback at Boston College. At Chestnut Hill his favorite target was future Patriot WR Jim Colclough. Washington selected Allard as the fourth overall pick in the 1959 NFL draft; that was the earliest a BC Eagle was ever drafted for a span of 49 years, until the Falcons drafted Matt Ryan. The Saskatchewan Roughriders also drafted Allard and offered him almost double the money that Washington did, so he headed north to play in the CFL.

Allard played out his option so that he could join the Patriots in the first year of the American Football League, but Montreal thwarted that idea when they picked him up on waivers. A year later he was released, but by that time the Pats were no longer interested. The New York Titans signed him in '61, and then Allard finally joined the Patriots in 1962. He appeared in only four games for his hometown team, with no stats.

In the sixties Allard played locally in semi-pro leagues. He quarterbacked the Sweepers to back-to-back titles in the old Atlantic Coast Football League, and finished his career in 1969 with the Quincy Giants of the ACFL. For a more detailed bio, check out The Secret Career of Don Allard.

And if you ever want to stump your friends with a bit of Patriot franchise history there is this: Allard was the first player in Pats team history to wear uniform number 12.

If you are the least bit interested in the history of football in the New England area - which you probably are, or else you wouldn't be reading this thread - I very highly recommend that you take a few minutes to read the article below. Great tidbits on how NFL owners operated in the days before free agency, as well as information on the Atlantic Coast Football League ( minor league football operation in the northeast) and the semi-pro New England Football Conference. @patfanken surely has more tales to share about the ACFL.

The Secret Career of Don Allard

allard_don3.jpg

95546863_134530913504.jpg
Don_Allard.jpg

Don Allard (1987) - Varsity Club Hall of Fame - Boston College Athletics

* A skilled and versatile athlete, he ran and passed with equal ease from his quarterback position. He also made major contributions as a punter, defensive safety, and punt and kickoff return specialist.​
* He established Boston College records for the longest scoring play (a 92-yard touchdown pass) and longest interception return (100 yards).​
* He was a first-round draft selection of the Washington Redskins but elected to play professional football in Canada, and later with the AFL's New York Titans and Boston Patriots.​
* Inducted into the Boston College Varsity Club Athletic Hall of Fame in 1987.​

Don Allard Obituary

After he retired from his football career, Mr. Allard was the chief probation officer at the Middlesex Superior Court and was recognized as the youngest chief in the department's history. He retired in 1993.
Mr. Allard served as a high school and collegiate official of both basketball and football. In 1978, he was recognized as the president of the New England Football Officials.
He was active in the local NFL alumni charity "Caring for Kids."

Sounds like a Made-Up Hollywood Name

In memory of Rip Hawkins, who would have turned 85 today
Born April 21, 1939 in Winchester, Tennessee
Died July 28, 2015 at the age of 76
Pats 2nd round (12th overall) selection of the 1961 AFL draft

The Boston Patriots selected the linebacker from UNC in the second round, 12th overall in the 1961 draft. Unfortunately for the Pats he never played for them; he signed with Minnesota, who had also drafted him in the second round in their inaugural season.

Ross 'Rip' Hawkins was a starting middle linebacker for all five of his NFL seasons with the Vikings. Despite his youth Hawkins was named Minnesota's captain on defense as a rookie. The Pro Bowler had twelve career interceptions, including five in his first season.

After his playing career, Hawkins was an assistant district attorney in Atlanta, owned a metallurgic business in Minneapolis, and moved to Denver where he worked for an oil company. Later he moved to Wyoming and ran a 700 acre ranch. Hawkins remained active until just before his death, often going on 30 mile bike rides. At the end of his life Hawkins was diagnosed with Lewy-body dementia, which is the second most common type of progressive dementia after Alzheimer’s disease.

3208-807578Fr.jpg

9093-912392Fr.jpg

Six other old time pro football players with a New England connection were born on this date:

Ken Strong
4/21/1906 - 10/5/1979
Elmer Kenneth Strong Jr. was born and raised in West Haven CT. He is the all-time scoring leader for the Staten Island Stapletons (seriously, I'm not making that up; that was a real team). The three-time All-Pro halfback/kicker spent 12 years in the NFL (mostly with the New York Giants) and three more in the original American Football League. Hawkins was elected to the Pro Football Hall of Fame in 1967 and his #50 jersey is retired by the Giants.

ken-strong-football-card_1935-national-chicle.jpg

Bo-Molenda-Dale-Burnett-Ken-Strong-Harry-Newman-1933-New-York-Giants-.jpg

Steve Sucic, April 21, 1921-June 29, 2001
HB/FB played in the NFL for three seasons, including time with the 1947 Boston Yanks.

Gene Lee, April 21, 1922-December 19, 2010
Starting center/linebacker for the 1946 Boston Yanks, playing home games at Fenway Park.

Steve Enich, April 21, 1923-November 10, 2004
Fourth round (30th overall) pick of the 1945 draft by the Boston Yanks.

Forrest Douds, April 21, 1923-August 16, 1979
Left tackle was an All-Pro as a rookie in 1930 for the Providence Steam Roller.

Bill Howell, April 21, 1904-August 23, 1981
Born in New Brunswick and grew up in Augusta Maine. Was an end for the 1929 Boston Bulldogs.

April 21 Transactions

April 21, 2020
Rob Gronkowski is activated from the reserve/retired list, and traded to Tampa Bay for a fourth round pick.
The Buccaneers go on to win the Super Bowl.
The Patriots use that draft pick to trade up into the third round, and draft Devin Asiasi. The tight end from UCLA ended up with two receptions on seven targets over two seasons with the Patriots, for 39 yards and one touchdown.

April 21, 2010
The Patriots sign DT Amon Gordon.
Apparently they saw enough of the journeyman veteran in OTAs to release him seven weeks later, well before the start of training camp.

April 21, 2009
OLB Pierre Woods is re-signed, for his fourth season with New England.

April 21, 2004
New England signs CB Jeff Burris.
A first round pick by Buffalo in the 1994 draft, Burris was a solid veteran added for insurance due to uncertainty with Ty Law's contract. Burris was released at the start of training camp, ending his ten year NFL career.

April 21, 2002
The New England Patriots trade quarterback Drew Bledsoe to the Buffalo Bills for a 2003 first round draft pick.

April 21, 2002
Day Two (rounds 4-7) of the NFL 67th Annual Player Selection Meeting

On the previous day the Patriots had used their third round pick to trade up in the first, and select TE Daniel Graham. In the second round the Pats drafted WR Deion Branch.

New England uncharacteristically trads up again, moving up 14 spots by sending 4.131 and 5.144 to Denver for 4.117
  • 4.117 -- QB Rohan Davey, LSU
  • Why not only draft a QB this early, but also trade up to do so after Super Bowl 36 and the 2001 season?
  • Was Bill Belichick getting cold feet, thinking Tom Brady might be a one-hit wonder?
  • This decision was more significant due to the lack of a third round draft pick.

• 4.126 -- (this pick and a 2003 4th came from 3/8/2002 trade with Green Bay, for WR Terry Glenn)
  • 4.126 -- DE Jarvis Green, LSU
  • 121 games played over 8 seasons with Pats; 28 sacks, two Super Bowl championships

• 4.131 -- previously used in trade up for Rohan

• 5.144 -- previously used in trade up for Rohan

• 6.168 -- traded down to Dallas, for 7.237 and a 2003 5th

• 6.205 -- traded to St Louis for WR Dane Looker
  • The Pats waived Looker early, on 7/31/02; he would re-sign with the Rams, and play there until 2008

• 7.234 -- previously used in trade up for Daniel Graham

• 7.237 -- RB Antwoine Womack, Virginia
  • Placed on NFI 8/27/02, and released 8/24/03; zero NFL games

• 7.244 -- WR David Givens, Notre Dame
  • 7 playoff touchdowns to go along with 12 in the regular season over four years with the Pats
With the benefit of hindsight the trade ups and Rohan Davey selection were questionable choices, but overall this was a great draft.
I'll take the production from Branch, Givens, Green and Graham out of any draft, any day, any year.

April 21, 2001
Day One (rounds 1-3) of the NFL 66th Annual Player Selection Meeting

Ron Borges infamously hated this draft, pining for WR David Terrell over Richard Seymour.

Ron Borges: "If you didn't know better, you'd think the Jets sent Bill
Belichick north to destroy the Patriots from within. On a day when they
could have had impact players David Terrell or Koren Robinson or the
second-best tackle in the draft in Kenyatta Walker, they took Georgia
defensive tackle Richard Seymour, who had 1 sack last season in the
pass-happy SEC and is too tall to play tackle at 6-6 and too slow to play
defensive end. This genius move was followed by trading out of a spot where
they could have gotten the last decent receiver in Robert Ferguson and
settled for tackle Matt Light, who will not help any time soon unless last
year's draftees Adrian Klemm and Greg Robinson-Randle are busts."
How could we have passed on Robert Ferguson...?!?!? Oh, and here's a​
response from another sportswriter...​
Bob Jensen: "Can't fault this analysis from Ron Borges a Boston writer ...
As far the Dolphins and Pats, well just look at what the dour twins
Wannstedt and Bellichik did to other teams (Browns Bears) where they had
total control. Looks like the big rivalry this decade wil be between the
Bills and Jets what with the Colts leaving the division."

1.6 --- DT Richard Seymour, Georgia
Pats Hall of Fame and 50th Anniversary Team; NFL All-Decade Team of the 2000s; 3x 1st Team All Pro, 7x Pro Bowl; 3 SB rings

Traded down 11 spots, sending 2.39 to Pittsburgh for 2.50 and 4.112
Traded up 2 spots (ahead of Jets), sending 2.50 and 6.173 to Detroit for 2.48
  • 2.48 -- OT Matt Light, Purdue
  • Pats Hall of Fame, 50th Anniversary Team and All-Decade Team of the 2000s; 1x 1st Team All Pro, 3x Pro Bowl; 3 SB rings

• Traded down 17 spots, sending 3.69 to Minnesota for 3.86 and 4.119

• 3.86 -- DB Brock Williams, Notre Dame
  • Tore ACL, spent '01 on IR; on practice squad in '02. Active for just one game w/Pats, but never got on the field.
The productivity from the Seymour and Light selections more than offsets the Williams injury.

April 21, 1999
New England signs veteran free agent RB Lamont Warren to a one-year contract.
Warren had been a decent third down/backup RB for five seasons with the Colts. In his one season with the Pats he played in all 16 games, with 382 yards from scrimmage and one touchdown.

April 21, 1996: The Christian Peter Fiasco
The Patriots traded down the previous day, adding two draft picks by sending 2.57 back to the Raiders, in exchange for 3.76, 4.124, and 5.149. The most notable part of this exchange is that the Pats infamously selected Christian Peter with the last of those three picks. A week later he would be cut due to pressure by Myra Kraft and women's organizations after it was revealed in the Boston media that while at Nebraska he had pled guilty to groping one woman in a bar, another accused him of sexually assaulting her, and just a month before the draft he was convicted of disturbing the peace after choking a woman in a bar. Christian Peter thus became the first player in NFL history to be drafted and then waived prior to training camp.

Day Two of the 1996 NFL Draft (rounds 4-7):
  • 4.101 -- G Heath Irwin, Colorado
  • 3 seasons w/Pats (44 games, 17 starts); 6 NFL seasons (87 games, 29 starts)
  • 4.119 -- DT Chris Sullivan, Boston College [2nd of 3 picks received by trading down in 3rd round with Detroit]
  • 4 seasons w/Pats (63 games, 20 starts); 5 NFL seasons (78 games, 22 starts)
  • 4.124 -- RB Kantroy Barber, West Virginia [2nd of 3 picks received by trading down in 2nd round with Oakland]
  • 1 season w/Pats on IR; 2 NFL games played
  • 5.139 -- G John Elmore, Texas
  • waived in training camp; zero NFL games played
  • 5.149 -- DT Christian Peter, Nebraska [3rd of 3 picks received by trading down in 2nd round with Oakland]
  • waived (see above); 81 games with 34 starts over 5 NFL seasons
  • 6.173 -- TE Chris Griffin, New Mexico
  • waived in training camp; zero NFL games played
  • 6.195 -- RB Marrio Grier, Tennessee-Chattanooga [3rd of 3 picks received by trading down in 3rd round with Detroit]
  • 2 seasons w/ Pats (32 games, 0 starts)
  • 6.206 -- DE Devin Wyman, Kentucky State [compensatory pick]
  • 2 seasons w/Pats (15 games, 4 starts)
  • 7.216 -- TE Lovett Purnell, West Virginia
  • 3 seasons w/Pats (34 games, 7 starts)
  • 7.247 -- OT J.R. Conrad, Oklahoma [compensatory pick]
  • waived in '96 and '97 training camps; one season (12 games, 1 start) with Jets
Despite all the media attention regarding the draft focusing almost exclusively on Peter at the time, this was a great draft for the Patriots. The previous day they had selected Terry Glenn, Lawyer Milloy and Tedy Bruschi, and the Pats would later sign Adam Vinatieri as an undrafted rookie free agent.

April 21, 1995
The Patriots re-sign ERFA Brandon Moore
The backup tackle played in 26 games over three seasons in New England.

April 21, 1994
New England releases four veterans just prior to the draft: former All Pro TE Marv Cook; 31 year old CB Reyna Thompson; 35 year old OL Rich Baldinger; and QB Scott Secules, who went 0-4 as a starter in 1993.

April 21, 1991
Day One (rounds 1-4) of the 56th Annual NFL Player Selection Meeting
The Marriott Marquis, New York City

• The 1990 Patriots finished 1-15 in Rod Rust's final season as a head coach. VP of Player Operations Joe Mendes and new HC **** MacPherson opted to upgrade many positions rather than swing for a home run, and traded down. Three days prior to the draft the Pats traded down ten spots to #11 with Dallas, while also getting a Cowboys 2nd (#41) and three veterans (Ron Francis, David Howard and Eugene Lockhart). It was a terrible trade on face value; the Pats should have either received more draft capital (such as a 1992 1st) or better players (none of those three were ever named to a Pro Bowl). Mendes would be fired a year later.

• 1.11 -- OT Pat Harlow, USC
  • Five years w/Pats; started 64 consecutive games at RT

• Traded up with Houston, giving the Oilers 2.28 and 4.101 to move up 11 spots to 1.17
  • Traded up with Dallas, giving the Cowboys a 4th (#110) to move up three spots from the 1.17 above to 1.14
  • 1.14 -- RB Leonard Russell, Arizona State
  • Offensive Rookie of the Year in '91, but then tailed off; 2,437 yards rushing with 13 TD in 3 seasons w/Pats

• 2.41 -- CB Jerome Henderson, Clemson
  • 40 games (10 starts) with 7 interceptions over four seasons with the Pats

• 3.56 -- G Calvin Stephens, South Carolina
  • '91: on IR; '92: 13 games, one start; waived in '93 training camp

• 4.84 -- QB Scott Zolak, Maryland
  • Zo had seven starts over seven season with Patriots, with 8 TD and 7 picks
While Day One was somewhat underwhelming (more so considering they started with the first pick of each round), they would make up for that somewhat the next day in round five.

April 21, 1989
Patriots re-sign LB Ed Williams
In five seasons as a backup and special teamer, Williams played in 62 games with ten starts for the Pats.

April 21, 1988
Pats re-sign veteran Art Plunkett
The offensive tackle played in 22 games with one start over two seasons in New England.

April 21, 1981
New England re-signs Matt Cavanaugh
Before he became an offensive coordinator for the Bears, Ravens and Washington, the quarterback had a sizable fan club in New England, calling for him to take over any time Steve Grogan threw a pick. In reality, he was quite average: 19 TD, 23 Int and a 5-10 record as a starter in his four seasons with the Patriots.

Since today's News and Notes generated an ongoing discussion, I'll place the April 22 Trivia here.

3 Seasons, 3 Super Bowls, 2 Rings

Happy 30th birthday to Elandon Roberts
Born April 22, 1994 in Port Arthur, Texas
Patriot LB, 2016-2019; uniform #52
Pats 6th round (214th overall) selection of the 2016 draft, from Houston

The list of players that have gone to three Super Bowls and earning two rings - before the age of 25 - has to be extremely short.

Not bad for a guy that wasn't invited to the NFL Draft Combine.

2/3/19: UH's Elandon Roberts gets 2nd Super Bowl ring with Patriots

Bill Belichick first noticed Roberts in a game against Navy in 2015 when he had seven tackles, 4 1/2 for loss, and two sacks. "He was impossible to miss," Belichick said shortly after.

But even after leading the nation with 88 solo tackles as a senior, in the most extensive playing time of his college career, Roberts went largely unnoticed and was not invited to the combine. His 5-11 and 235-pound frame - not exactly prototypical for an NFL linebacker - had something to do with the lack of interest from teams.

He improved his draft stock by a running a 4.6-second 40-yard dash.​

Elandon Roberts missed just four games in his four years with the Pats, three coming in the first month of his rookie season. He played in 60 regular season games with 33 starts, tallying 206 tackles (119 solo), 15 tackles for a loss, 14 QB hits, six pass deflections, four sacks, one forced fumble and one fumble recovery. The Patriots were 47-13 in games he played. Due to injuries to James Develin and Jakob Johnson in 2019 Roberts also played fullback, logging 58 snaps on offense during the regular season and 12 more in the playoff loss to Tennessee. Prior to the start of the season Elandon was voted as one of the defensive co-captains.

Elandon scored one touchdown with the Patriots - and it was on offense. On December 29, 2019 he caught a short pass to the right flat from Tom Brady, and ran past Miami defenders for a 38 yard touchdown.

Roberts has also appeared in ten postseason games, with 31 tackles (19 solo) and one tackle for a loss. The Pats were 8-2 in those games, giving Roberts an overall record of 55-15 in games he played for New England.

In 2018 the Patriots drafted ILB Ja'Whaun Bentley, and the Patriots did not re-sign Roberts. He signed a one-year, $2 million contract with the Dolphins, reuniting with former Pats linebackers coach Brian Flores. Roberts became a free agent again in 2023, and is now with Pittsburgh.

10/31/16: New England Patriots rookie LB Elandon Roberts might be another Bill Belichick late-round gem

(Brother) Jermire's football career was over by 2004, just as Elandon's was beginning. Elandon leaned on his older cousin for everything -- learning the game, analyzing the game, approaching the game correctly. Elandon's older brother, Eli, had an influence, too, but Eli didn't play football. His influence came on the academic side.
In high school, Jermire did not feel it was necessary to watch film. After all, he was an athlete. Looking back, Jermire realized what he could have done better, and he did not want Elandon to take the little things lightly.
Not that he had to worry too much about that.
Ask Elandon about his day and he'll tell you about football practice. Ask what's new in his life, he'll probably also tell you about practice. Everything with Elandon is "molded around football," according to Jermire.
"He has things that I didn't have," Jermire said. "And I think, this another reason, Jermire, why you didn't make it. It was 24/7 thinking football (with Elandon). For me, it was accepting in part to myself 'I'm going to the league, I'm going to the NFL.' It made me sit back because everybody told me that. Everybody told him he's too small to go the NFL...I had the size. I had what was considered the speed at that time. I didn't have that extra push that he had."

ghows-PJ-215168c3-746a-4a72-a509-2d997e980795-15bdff1e.jpeg

Happy 78th birthday to Bob Geddes
Born April 22, 1946 in Seattle
Patriot LB, 1973-1975; uniform #59
Signed as a veteran free agent on November 21, 1973

After getting a late start due to military service, Geddes was an honorable mention All-American DE at UCLA and 14th round draft pick by the Rams in 1970. He was converted to linebacker and spent that first year on the practice squad. Denver claimed him off waivers but he spent '71 on IR. Geddes appeared in all 14 games for the Broncos in '72, with three starts. Chuck Fairbanks picked him up during the '73 seasons and he eventually would play in 24 games for the Patriots, with six starts.

In 1974 Geddes started five games and had two interceptions. Most memorable was an October 13th 24-0 shutout at Shea Stadium over the Jets , to advance to 5-0. It was the latest time in a season the Pats were in first place since I don't know when. The Patriots dominated and Geddes put the exclamation point on the game with a 29-yard pick-six.

Among other things in his post-football career Geddes was the CEO of TBA Global, a corporation that ''produces live events that communicate messages and create brand marketing experiences for global corporations. These events include corporate business meetings, product launches, consumer marketing programs, sponsored music tours, entertainment programming for fairs, festivals and special events and management services for some of today's leading musical artists and performers.''

Happy 32nd birthday to Eric Tomlinson
Born April 22, 1992 in Oklahoma City
Patriot TE, 2019; uniform #82
Signed as a veteran free agent on October 15, 2019

The term "Ventroned" would be more aptly named "Tomlinsoned". The journeyman has been involved in approximately sixty transactions over the course of his ten year NFL career. Tomlinson was with the Patriots for two weeks, getting two starts in a double tight end formation. His Pats highlight was a one-yard reception in a 33-0 vicory over the Jets in New Jersey.

Others with New England connections include:

Mike Buck, 57 (4/22/1967)
Buck went to the University of Maine, where he set an amazing 27 Black Bears records. He was a sixth round pick, 156th overall by the Saints in the 1990 draft. He also spent time with Arizona and Miami, and saw action in twelve NFL games. Buck was later involved in Arena football, as a head coach and director of football operations. He now coaches high school football in his native Long Island.

Ed Bradley, 74 (4/22/1950)
Not to be confused with the 60 minutes journalist, this Ed Bradley was a middle linebacker who was born in Bridgeport and grew up in Stratford CT. His father was a pro football player too, who also played minor league baseball with the Red Sox. Bradley was a fourth round pick (88th overall) by the Steelers in the 1972 draft. He picked up two Superbowl rings with Pittsburgh and replaced an injured Jack Lambert in Super Bowl IX. Bradley also played with Seattle and San Francisco, appearing in 93 NFL games with 32 starts from 1972-78.

In 1995 the Patriots had traded their third round pick (3.68) to Kansas City for center Dave Wohlabaugh.
His son transferred to Syracuse from Kentucky. He’s bigger than his dad. He was slated to start at RT.

He is in a boot right now. Bone break that damaged ligaments and hasn’t healed properly.

April 22 Drafts

April 22, 1990
Day One (rounds 1-5) of the NFL 55th Annual Player Selection Meeting
Marriott Marquis, New York City

Patriots trade down, sending 1.3 and 2.29 to Seattle for 1.8, 1.10, 3.64 and a 1991 4th.
The Seahawks use that #3 pick on future Hall of Fame DT Cortez Kennedy.
  • 1.8 -- LB Chris Singleton, Arizona State
  • 41 games (26 starts), 4 sacks in 3.5 seasons w/Pats; 90 games over 7 NFL seasons

• 1.10 - DE Ray Agnew, NC State
  • 66 games, 7.5 sacks over 5 seasons w/Pats; 157 games over 11 NFL seasons

• 3.59 - QB Tommy Hodson, LSU
  • 36 games with 12 starts over 3 seasons w/Pats; 7 NFL seasons as a backup

• Pats trade down, sending 3.64, 6.143 and 8.197 to Dallas for 3.80, 5.120 and 7.166

• 3.80 - WR Greg McMurty, Michigan
  • 120 receptions, 4 TD in 4 seasons w/Pats

• Pats trade down, sending 4.86 to Washington for 5.110 and 5.111

• 5.110 - CB Junior Robinson, East Carolina
  • One season with Pats, two NFL seasons

• 5.111 traded to Broncos for Denver's 1991 4th round pick

• 5.113 - G Jon Melander, Minnesota
  • One season (10 games, 3 starts) w/Pats; 54 games (32 starts) over 4 NFL seasons

• 5.120 - RB James Gray, Texas Tech
  • waived at end of training camp; zero NFL games

April 22, 1991
Day Two (rounds 5-12) of the 1991 NFL Draft
Marriott Marquis, New York City

The previous day the Pats traded down from the number one overall pick, and selected OT Pat Harlow, RB Leonard Russell, CB Jerome Henderson, G Calvin Stevens and QB Scott Zolak in rounds 1-4.
  • 5.112 -- RB Jon Vaughn, Michigan
  • 32 games (7 starts) in 2 seasons w/Pats; 770 yards, 3 TD

• On the previous day the Pats traded down 24 spots, sending 4.100 to Oakland for 5.124 and a 1992 4th

• 5.124 -- TE Ben Coates, Livingstone
  • Pats Hall of Fame, 50th Anniversary Team; NFL 1990s All-Decade Team, 2x 1st Team All Pro, 5x Pro Bowl

• 6.140 -- DB David Key, Michigan
  • 3 games for Pats

• 7.168 -- C Blake Miller, LSU
  • waived at end of training camp; 14 NFL games

• 8.196 -- S Harry Colon, Missouri
  • 16 games (14 starts) in one season w/Pats; 87 games over 7 NFL seasons

• 9.224 -- G O'Neill Glenn, Maryland
  • waived, zero NFL games; spent one year in WLAF and one in CFL

• 10.251 -- TE Randy Bethel, Miami
  • waived, zero NFL games; one year in WLAF

• 11.279 -- WR Vince Moore, Tennessee
  • waived, zero NFL games

• 11.303 -- P Paul Alsbury, SW Texas State
  • waived, zero NFL games; one year in WLAF

• 12.307 -- DT Tim Edwards, Delta State
  • 14 games with one start and one sack for Pats

April 22, 1995
Day One (rounds 1-3) of the NFL Draft

1.23 --- CB Ty Law, Michigan
3x Super Bowl champ, 2x All Pro, 5x Pro Bowl, 2x season interception leader, Pats All-1990s team, Pats All-2000x team, Pats 50th Anniversary team, Pats All-Dynasty team, Patriots Hall of Fame, Pro Football Hall of Fame

2.57 --- LB Ted Johnson, Colorado
3x Super Bowl champ, Pats All-1990s team; 125 games, 760 tackles over ten seasons

(on 3/2/95 the Pats received 3.10 as compensation for loss of RFA Kevin Turner signing with Philadelphia)

3.10 --- RB Curtis Martin, Pitt
1995 Offensive Rookie of the Year, 2x Pro Bowl w/Pats, Pats All-1990s team, Pro Football Hall of Fame

3.88 --- CB Jimmy Hitchock, North Carolina
37 games, 20 starts, 4 picks in three seasons with Patriots

April 22, 2001
Day Two (rounds 4-7) of the NFL Draft

On the previous day the Pats had drafted DT Richard Seymour, OT Matt Light and CB Brock Williams

Pats trade up 16 spots, sending 4.112 and 5.139 to San Diego for 4.96

4.96 --- OT Kenyatta Jones, South Florida

4.119 -- TE Jabari Holloway, Notre Dame

Pats trade down 21 spots, sending 5.149 to Detroit for 6.180 and 7.216

5.163 -- OLB Hakim Akbar, Washington (compensatory pick)

Pats trade out, sending 6.170 to Jacksonville for a 2002 5th round pick

6.173 -- previously used to trade up past the Jete for Matt Light

6.180 -- TE Arthur Love, South Carolina State

6.200 -- CB Leonard Meyers, Miami (compensatory pick)

7.216 -- K Owen Poachman, BYU

7.239 -- OLB T.J. Turner, Michigan State

April 22, 2010
Day One (round one) of the NFL Draft
Radio City Music Hall, New York City

Pats trade down two spots, sending 1.22 to Denver for 1.24 and 4.113
The Broncos use this pick on WR Demaryius Thomas

Pats trade down three spots, sending 1.24 and 4.119 to Dallas for 1.27 and 3.90
The Cowboys use this pick on WR Dez Bryant
Patriot fans have a meltdown

1.27 --- CB Devin McCourty, Rutgers
3x Super Bowl champ, 3x 2nd team All Pro, 2x Pro Bowl, All-2010s team, All-Dynasty team, 205 starts, 35 interceptions

Over the next two days the Patriots would draft the following players:
TE Rob Gronkowski
DE Jermaine Cunningham
LB Brandon Spikes
WR Taylor Price
TE Aaron Hernandez
P Zoltan Mesko
C Ted Larsen
OT Thomas Welch
DT Brandon Deaderick
DT Kade Weston
QB Zac Robinson

April 22, 1999
RB Sedrick Shaw is traded to the Cleveland Browns
The former third round draft pick was considered to be a bust, with 236 yards rushing over two seasons.

April 22. 1993
RFA WR Mike Farr is signed off Detroit's roster.
Farr was waived/injured at the end of training camp and released in November; he played in 42 NFL games, but none for the Pats.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Back