PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

McShay- Top-10 Snubs @ Combine

Status
Not open for further replies.

SamBamsFan

Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job
Reaction score
Todd McShay of espn.com/ scouts inc gives his thoughts on the top players snubbed by a lack of a combine invite:

"1. CB John Talley, Duke.
2. ILB Zach Diles, Kansas State.
3. TE Matt Herian, Nebraska.
4. C Darnell Stapleton, Rutgers.
5. DT Brent Curvey, Iowa State.
6. ILB Kevin McLee, West Virginia.
7. G Kurt Quarterman, Louisville.
8. QB Lester Ricard, Tulane.
9. WR Brandon Myles, West Virginia.
10. QB Matt Moore, Oregon State."

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft07/insider/columns/story?columnist=mcshay_todd&id=2773880 (sub. only)

Feel free to discuss, or add to the list...

Todd McShay of espn.com/ scouts inc gives his thoughts on the top players snubbed by a lack of a combine invite:

"1. CB John Talley, Duke.
2. ILB Zach Diles, Kansas State.
3. TE Matt Herian, Nebraska.
4. C Darnell Stapleton, Rutgers.
5. DT Brent Curvey, Iowa State.
6. ILB Kevin McLee, West Virginia.
7. G Kurt Quarterman, Louisville.
8. QB Lester Ricard, Tulane.
9. WR Brandon Myles, West Virginia.
10. QB Matt Moore, Oregon State."

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft07/insider/columns/story?columnist=mcshay_todd&id=2773880 (sub. only)

Feel free to discuss, or add to the list...
Interesting, McLee and Myles were both at the Senior Bowl. BLESTO, or whichever scouting serive that runs the Combine, prove once again why the Pats are smart to run their own scouts.

Interesting, McLee and Myles were both at the Senior Bowl. BLESTO, or whichever scouting serive that runs the Combine, prove once again why the Pats are smart to run their own scouts.

I'm surprised by the Myles overlook, too.

Talley is a Pats-type player (on my board mock), and Myles will succeed with someone.

I'm very curious about Talley. I won't pretend to have pored over Duke game tape, but the writeups on him all take this curious form (I paraphrase):

"Highly productive playmaker despite weak supporting cast; smart, field-aware player; very physical, good speed, good ball skills. Projected round: 6-7." Huh?

The sole knock on him appears to be size -- not height but weight. At 5'11" and a mere 180 lbs. they figure he'll get knocked around by big wideouts. Could be, but I have a name for that build: Asante Samuel. In a draft full of CBs with solid frames and no football skills, I'd take a chance on a Talley type for sure.

I'm very curious about Talley. I won't pretend to have pored over Duke game tape, but the writeups on him all take this curious form (I paraphrase):

"Highly productive playmaker despite weak supporting cast; smart, field-aware player; very physical, good speed, good ball skills. Projected round: 6-7." Huh?

The sole knock on him appears to be size -- not height but weight. At 5'11" and a mere 180 lbs. they figure he'll get knocked around by big wideouts. Could be, but I have a name for that build: Asante Samuel. In a draft full of CBs with solid frames and no football skills, I'd take a chance on a Talley type for sure.

He also put in four years at Duke, not exactly FSU academically, which is likely a sign of maturity and initiative.

I like Talley a ton. I believe he was also the Duke MVP for this and last year. Coming into this year he was coming off major shoulder surgery and that probably affected his play early in the year, then you add the season long beatdowns they were involved in and that reflects negatively on him and the other 10 platers on that defense.

However I think the biggest knock is that he's only expected to run around 4.6 which means a move to safety or a complete pass altogether.

I like Talley a ton. I believe he was also the Duke MVP for this and last year. Coming into this year he was coming off major shoulder surgery and that probably affected his play early in the year, then you add the season long beatdowns they were involved in and that reflects negatively on him and the other 10 platers on that defense.

However I think the biggest knock is that he's only expected to run around 4.6 which means a move to safety or a complete pass altogether.

See now that makes sense to me now why he is overlooked. If a 180lb guy had to go to safety he may have some issues holding his own

Ok, if the 4.6 is accurate that certainly changes the whole picture. I was going by condraft.com which says 4.45, but poking around I've seen estimates as high as 4.58 which would be the kiss of death for a kid that size.

Disclosing 40 times is like disclosing your poker hand before all the bets are placed. The only people doing the talking are the guys with the great times or hands if your playing poker. Everybody else has the cone of silence on.
Only when called, which is the combine or the pro day workout for a fotball player, do you really get to see what a guy has. Unlike poker, football is lucky because the bets have not taken place until after all the cards are on the table.

Of course in today's market a guy's 40 time may not translate well to the field. As soon as a player signs with an agent, the player is sent to a sports training for fitness facility to learn to run 40 times and do three cone shuffles and how to jump high and long.

My own son is a 10th grader in high school and I am sending him to just such a place all because I think it's the final piece to a D1 football scholarship. It's crazy, but there are 50 or so other high school football players in there with us.

Anything to get an advantage.

Disclosing 40 times is like disclosing your poker hand before all the bets are placed. The only people doing the talking are the guys with the great times or hands if your playing poker. Everybody else has the cone of silence on.
Only when called, which is the combine or the pro day workout for a fotball player, do you really get to see what a guy has. Unlike poker, football is lucky because the bets have not taken place until after all the cards are on the table.

Of course in today's market a guy's 40 time may not translate well to the field. As soon as a player signs with an agent, the player is sent to a sports training for fitness facility to learn to run 40 times and do three cone shuffles and how to jump high and long.

My own son is a 10th grader in high school and I am sending him to just such a place all because I think it's the final piece to a D1 football scholarship. It's crazy, but there are 50 or so other high school football players in there with us.

Anything to get an advantage.

More power to you (best of luck!) and your son.

It's no different than taking a pre-SAT class, etc.

You're only enhancing the skilss that may be there....does it to translate to success down the line? Perhaps but it gets you in the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST