PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mayo as "the anti-BB" -- something to watch going forward

He said he was gonna spend a lot of cash. Seems like he already got pushed around.

I keep seeing this claim.

Here's the reality - Patriots have actually spent a lot of cash to date:

It's also instructive how Bill's "treat 'em like ****" coaching tree repeatedly flamed out when they tried to imitate his style.

Last edited:
I keep seeing this claim.

Here's the reality - Patriots have actually spent a lot of cash to date:

It's also instructive how Bill's "treat 'em like ****" coaching tree repeatedly flamed out when they tried to imitate his style.

Ok So like mid spending vs top spending. And treating them like ****? I’m guessing Gronk, who’s maybe the greatest TE ever, says he needed it. Maybe other guys did as well? Maybe the other coaches flamed out because they had no weight behind it. Maybe this new generation of players are sensitive? Hey I’m hoping Mayo works out… the last couple of years was tough.

Last edited:
Dan Campbell, Demeco Ryans and Antonio Pierce( small sample) all seem to have had success as coaches who were players in the near recent past ( under 15 years)

And treating them like ****? I’m guessing Gronk, who’s maybe the greatest TE ever, says he needed it. Maybe other guys did as well? Maybe the other coaches flamed out because they had no weight behind it. Maybe this new generation of players are sensitive?

Bill had the credibility to take a hard line. Most other coaches do not. Bill the coach only wanted to coach players that would toe his line - perhaps that restricted who Bill the GM could sign.

College players nowadays have a lot more power than they used to have - perhaps the transition to the NFL will go better with a coach/player than with a disciplinarian.

Mayo the coach is very inexperienced as head coaches go, so I'm sure he'll screw some stuff up in the early years. I'm prepared to enjoy his (likely rough) ride to success.

I think Mayo can get away with being one of the guys since he is a former player and an All Pro with multiple Super Bowl rings. He can relate to players in a way other head coaches with no playing experience at the pro level can. I think it can work for Mayo where it might not with other head coaches.

But let's face it. Players respond to different types of head coaches today than in the past. Look at Mike McDaniel. Twenty years ago, he probably would have been laughed off the field by players. The Dolphins players today would run through a wall for him even with his goofiness. I don't know if Belichick's style works today without Belichick's resume.

Then this ^^^ doesn't make your OP below, make much sense.

If the style doesn't matter, why would you be concerned with swinging too far in the direction opposite of the hard-ass approach?

Maybe you have an agenda: laying seeds questioning Mayo's style (of which you know nothing about), to blame him at the first sign of adversity (which is bound to happen w/ a rookie HC, QB and new O coaching staff).

You actually made me laugh, thanks for that on this dreary weather day. No, I have a serious personal stake in pulling for Mayo to do well, putting money where my mouth is to the tune of $3,115. Certainly not interested in anti-Patriot agendas like your ongoing years-long Bill Belichick hate campaign.

And there's no contradiction between my posts re. coaching style. Both approaches have worked but can become problematic when taken to the extreme. That's what I meant by hoping the pendulum doesn't swing too far in the opposite direction (lenient "player's coach") at the expense of discipline/effort/accountability.

What we're seeing now is beginnings of a stark culture change in Foxboro that's reactionary in nature vs. the prior regime. This has been evident from Jerod's introductory press conference, subsequent staff press conferences, interviews, Bob Kraft's statements, etc. You know no more about how this will play out than me or anyone else. What we DO know is it will be much different than how business was conducted on BB's watch and Antonio Gibson's comments, in that respect, were eye-opening.

I realize Mayo deserves a wide berth and our patience while putting his fledgling program in place. Just the same, he has been saying for at least a couple years he's ready to lead an NFL team and his boss apparently agrees. Here's hoping for more wins this coming season than we saw last year, that would be a tangible sign of progress.

Last edited:
About 10 years ago, in my late 30’s I ran a financial institution. I had one older guy who was rough around the edges, not always politically correct, but his clients loved him and he was my top sales person. Our corporate head hated him and asked me to fire him. refused and said I ain’t firing my top guy. The employees appreciated that I would stand up for them and I had a great relationship with them but I held them accountable to produce.

That in my opinion is the key for Mayo. You can be nice but the players have to be held accountable. I hope he does well.
Coffee is for closers

This comment by Gibson seeing Mayo as "one of the guys" caught my eye. Is that what you want in a head coach? Apparently at Bob Kraft's behest, team culture in Foxboro is undergoing a radical change -- for better or worse is TBD. Yes, it's extremely early for the new regime and one isolated example of the anticipated "player-friendly vibe" Jerod brings to the table. I'm just hoping the pendulum doesn't swing too far in the direction opposite Bill Belichick's iron-fisted approach, that discipline and individual sacrifice toward team goals don't become casualties along the way.
By the end of year 1, regardless of record, we will have a good idea about Mayo as a HC, and at the end of year 2 we will know exactly what we have...

Personally, I think that a coach is a coach... As long as they can effectively communicate with the staff, players and personnel department, it will work... Its way too early to determine what kind of coach Mayo will be... While he may be able to talk to the players because he was "one of the guys", it remains to be seen what style of coach he will be now that hes wearing the hoodie...

Based on his track record as a position coach, I have high hopes for him, and think he will be successful... with the caveat that things like the draft and future free agency acquisitions mostly pan out... could give two ****s if people want to call him a players coach or not if he gets the job done...

From above post link.

Mayo's approach: When free agent running back Antonio Gibson arrived at Gillette Stadium in mid-March to sign his three-year contract with the Patriots, he had his daughter Taylor with him. Gibson said the way head coach Jerod Mayo showed Taylor love made an impression on him, as well as how Mayo felt like "one of the guys."

Receiver K.J. Osborn came away from his initial meeting with the feeling that Mayo is "a real down-to-earth guy." He added: "As a former player, he was really easy to talk to; he's a player's coach and I love that."

Likewise, veteran tight end Austin Hooper sat down with Mayo in the team cafeteria during his visit, with Hooper saying: "I was able to understand who he is -- a family man -- and what he's trying to build here. It was really productive."

The stories reflect what Mayo previously said would be a foundational part of his coaching style: Building bonds with players, showing he cares about them as people, before hopefully pushing them to achieve their greatest potential as players.

Can it work?

Owner Robert Kraft is banking on it after moving on from the legendary Bill Belichick after 24 seasons. The last time Kraft made a coaching switch, in 2000, it was from the lighter touch of Pete Carroll to the more buttoned-up, hard-lined Belichick. This time, Kraft said he is trusting his instincts by tapping Mayo, with the thinking that a more relational-based approach -- and overall team culture -- is the needed spark to help return the franchise to prominence.

Part of that is tied to the current generation of players coming into the NFL, with former Patriots cornerback Jason McCourty, who is part of NFL Network's "Good Morning Football" show, acknowledging, "The league is in a little bit of a transition. Players now are different than when I first came in."

McCourty, 36, entered the NFL in 2009 with the Tennessee Titans -- one year after Mayo was selected in the first round by the Patriots. He believes Mayo's approach can work, citing what he experienced himself with the Dolphins in 2022.

"I didn't get a chance to play for Mike McDaniel, but I got a chance to meet with him. I was injured and was still in the building in March [when he was hired], and we sat down and talked for probably 30-40 minutes. The first time I ever met him -- the quirkiness, and the things about him we've all seen transpire over the last two years -- that's who he was," McCourty said.

"So I look at it for Jerod, the best thing you can do for yourself is be yourself, and be honest. I think the worst thing that can possibly happen is for players to see you act one way for however many years that he's been there as a linebackers coach, and next thing you know you become the head guy and you totally flip because now more things fall on you and you have to make more decisions."

McCourty added that most players understand the NFL is a business and they appreciate honesty. He pointed to how his Patriots career ended as an example of why he holds no hard feelings toward New England -- or any of his former teams.

"From Jerod, I think as long as he keeps that the main thing, him being a players' coach -- or however you want to phrase it -- I think that's who he is. So inviting family in, showing guys 'Hey, this is who I am, this is who I'm going to be every single day whether we win or whether we lose,' I think that can go a long way."

McCourty compared this style to how Andy Reid is like in Kansas City.

"They call him 'Big Red.' They laugh with him and talk about eating cheeseburgers and all those things," McCourty said. "I called their game in Germany and they were going through some things, and I remember talking to Travis Kelce and he was like, 'Big Red had to get after us in the team meeting room, and he let us know exactly where we stood as a football team.'

"I think that's who Mayo probably was as a player. It's no different from when you're leading a huddle and you have to tell a guy about himself, but you're also enjoying moments with those guys in the locker room. I think you can do both, but you have to set a standard and an expectation for what it's going to be, and you live up to that every single day."

All he has to do is win games. He can have sleepovers, kumbaya’s and smores around the campfire for all I care. As long as it translates to wins.

I’m cheering for the guy to succeed. Hopefully he has this team in the playoffs in year 2. Highly likely if they knock the next two drafts out of the park and he coaches well.

Guys, it's pretty simple. Mayo is not pulling a Jedi mind trick, it's just pretty standard business practice.
You first build repoire, you gain trust via common ground by caring about what they care about, then when the training phase starts you act like you're in it with them and you share in some of the tough stuff, then when they believe you mean it you can turn the screws and demand excellence.
I don't think Mayo will be a softie or pushover. I think he's preparing for Mini-camps and TC.

If players are running out of gas and making mental errors in the 4th quarter because they’re poorly conditioned… then being “a player’s coach” will be a problem.

If the team encounters some struggles and players are running their mouths in the media and publicly complaining… being “a player’s coach” will be a problem.

Beyond that, coaching style doesn’t matter much as long as they’re working hard, but I’ve never seen a team where the lunatics are running the asylum be successful.

The “BB sucks” crowd are already telling us this is a multiyear rebuild even though it’s not and stockpiling excuses for Wolf/Mayo, they’re just happy the bad guy is gone. I wonder how many years we’ll hear “BB left them in a bad way” if it turns into a sht show.

I’ll remain optimistic, wish success for Mayo and crew… but won’t lie to protect them if they screw up. If BB or Brady screwed up I said so, nothing changes.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
Back