PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jaguars=Stupid team

Status
Not open for further replies.

TripleOption

Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job
Reaction score
Jaguars Say Patriots Are 'Beatable'
JACKSONVILLE, Fla. (AP) ― Prime-time game, national television, against the undefeated New England Patriots.

It's no surprise the Jacksonville Jaguars, the sometimes brash, always confident team from one of the league's smallest markets, a group that plays the no-respect, us-against-the-world card every chance it gets, would welcome the challenge.

They're not afraid to talk about it, either.

"We love it," defensive end Bobby McCray said Wednesday. "This is what we've been waiting for all year. It's a perfect situation, a perfect stage and we're going to see what we can do."

The Jaguars won their first playoff game in eight years last week, blowing an 18-point lead in the fourth quarter and then rallying for a 31-29 victory at Pittsburgh. The Jaguars were favored to win that game.

They're a huge underdog in this one.

For Jacksonville, though, that's exactly where it wants to be heading into Saturday night's AFC divisional playoff game at New England.

"We look forward to the challenge," cornerback Rashean Mathis said. "We respect them a lot, but you give nobody too much respect. If you give anybody too much respect, that means you're laying down to them. We're laying down to no one."

The Jaguars, under former hard-hitting linebacker and fifth-year coach Jack Del Rio, have been one of the league's most physical teams, relying on a strong running game, a stout defense and a wear-you-down mentality.

They also have developed a reputation for playing their best in big games. The problem, though, was they typically couldn't match that intensity against lesser opponents.

Del Rio seemingly got it fixed this season, and Jacksonville advanced to the playoffs for the second time in three years.

Now, after beating the Steelers, the Jags have nothing to lose against the Patriots.

Few people outside Jacksonville expect them to keep it close, let alone win.

Inside the locker room, though, the feeling is much different.

"They're beatable," guard Vince Manuwai said. "You've seen the other teams almost beat them. We just can't make the mistakes that other teams did."

A few lockers away, left tackle Khalif Barnes talked about relishing the chance to be part of history.

"It would be nice to be the team that eliminates them," Barnes said. "They're 0-0. They haven't won any games in the postseason yet. Anything that happened in the regular season is over. That really can't help or hurt anything right now."

The Jaguars expect to do even more talking on the field, unfazed by New England's record, quest to make history or that the Patriots have won two in a row against them.

"We feel like we can match up against anybody," said Mathis, sure to be lined up across from Randy Moss on every play.

"Whatever type of game you have on the offensive or defensive side of the ball, we feel we can match that."

The Jaguars point to teams that have played New England close in recent weeks -- Philadelphia, Baltimore and the New York Giants -- and believe they can be even better.

"The 16-0 is in the regular season," Mathis said. "We're 1-0 in the playoffs. They've yet to play a playoff game. ... What they've accomplished in the regular season is what they've accomplished in the regular season. The playoffs are a different monster and we all know that."

Maybe the Jaguars are being naive.

Or maybe their confidence could help them stay loose and avoid all the pitfalls that could come with playing on the road for a third straight week. Not to mention the ones that come with facing an unbeaten team that had as many players voted into the Pro Bowl this season (eight) as Jacksonville had in the last eight years.

Some of the Jaguars even made light of their upcoming "mismatch."

"We're just blessed to have another opportunity, to be on the same field as the New England Patriots," running back Maurice Jones-Drew said in a slow, drawn-out, tongue-in-cheek fashion. "Tom Brady is my idol. He's from the Bay Area, dates supermodels. He's everything a kid wants to be."

Defensive end Paul Spicer even jokingly offered to let the Patriots borrow his digital camera if they wanted to take snapshots of Jacksonville's defensive signals.

"We are confident," Spicer said. "It's us against them. They're 16-0, they're wonderful, they're great. But the bottom line is they have to beat us Saturday. Until that happens, we're 1-0 and they're 0-0."

http://wbztv.com/patriots/new.england.patriots.2.626833.html

if the jaguars really believe they have nothing to lose, they ARE stupider than they look. this is do or die and i hope they play as if they don't know it.

oww, well, lets see.....

that last Spicer comment about letting the Pats use his digital camera will defenetely get him embarrased in the game tomoroww.....i say the pats may just ran straight at him....and get good yards

"The 16-0 is in the regular season," Mathis said. "We're 1-0 in the playoffs. They've yet to play a playoff game. ... What they've accomplished in the regular season is what they've accomplished in the regular season. The playoffs are a different monster and we all know that."

I think the Patriots are well aware of the Playoffs and the style of play required.

Last edited:
What's up with Maurice Jones-Drew? I thought he was supposed to be above all this trash talking shyt. To be fair, his is about the only comment that may be less egregious if looked at in context, but I'm skeptical.

And these quotes further support the notion that "these Jags may be the next Patriots," don't they? :bricks:

On Monday, I thought this would be a good game. This is going to be a blowout. I don't know how they can be this stupid. The male ego never ceases to amaze me.

I nominate Paul Spicer for lifetime membership to the FredEx Hall of Shame.

What's up with Maurice Jones-Drew? I thought he was supposed to be above all this trash talking shyt. To be fair, his is about the only comment that may be less egregious if looked at in context, but I'm skeptical.

And these quotes further support the notion that "these Jags may be the next Patriots," don't they? :bricks:

Yeah, can somebody please ask MJD to shut up and play. He is one of the few players on opposing teams that I like and he has to open his mouth and ruin it.

You know what's really sad? Next week we are most likely getting the Colts and won't get any of this. Stupid Colts.

Uh oh! The Jags playoff experience could be the X-factor for them!:rolleyes:

Isn't their only playoff experience getting knocked out by the Pats? We knocked them out in 1996-97 and in 2005-06. Have they been in the playoffs any other time?

LOL maybe they should just get on the field Sat night and bow to the almighty Pats. Jags are not suppose to even come close to beating them. So them talking trash means nothing, right.

Isn't their only playoff experience getting knocked out by the Pats? We knocked them out in 1996-97 and in 2005-06. Have they been in the playoffs any other time?

They beat the incomparable Scott Zolak a couple years after that first drubbing. It was their shining moment.

LOL maybe they should just get on the field Sat night and bow to the almighty Pats. Jags are not suppose to even come close to beating them. So them talking trash means nothing, right.

It's never a good idea to talk trash when you're playing a superior team. You're much better off remaining silent, and hoping to be overlooked. When you open your yappers you remove any chance of that.

Last edited:
They actually called the Pats "beatable?"

Man, that's a shocker. Didn't they get the memo? Any player who talks to the media is supposed to say that the Patriots are absolutely unbeatable, the best team in history, and that they're happy to roll over & lose by however many points the Patriots are "feeling" that day in the march to an historic season.

The nerve....

They actually called the Pats "beatable?"

Man, that's a shocker. Didn't they get the memo? Any player who talks to the media is supposed to say that the Patriots are absolutely unbeatable, the best team in history, and that they're happy to roll over & lose by however many points the Patriots are "feeling" that day in the march to an historic season.

The nerve....

I wll bet you anything your Colts go overboard with compliments next week. They will say NOTHING but wonderful things. They will do the highlight again like in November of the two teams bowing to each other. Why? Because the Colts aren't stupid.

It's never a good idea to talk trash when you're playing a superior team. Your much better off remaining silent, and hoping to be overlooked. When you open your yappers you remove any chance of that.

If you really thought that the Jags staying quiet would make the almighty BB overlook the Jags, you are badly mistaken. Jags have nothing to lose. They are not suppose to even sniff a win. So this is suppose to be their last game of the year, so go out talking cause they cant play as good as the Pats, right.

I wll bet you anything your Colts go overboard with compliments next week. They will say NOTHING but wonderful things. They will do the highlight again like in November of the two teams bowing to each other. Why? Because the Colts aren't stupid.

That's surely true, but it's still kind of meaningless.

I can't remember who it was, but I remember one prominent player talking about the idea of "bulletin board material" in the playoffs. It doesn't exist in the playoffs. Players are amped to the highest degree in a playoff game, and are as motivated as they can be.

Tedy Bruschi is not looking at a comment like "they're beatable" and saying, "Well, I'm REALLY going to give my all, now!"

Besides, nothing they said was disrespectful in any way. The guy who said "beatable" still implied that they'd have to play a near-perfect game to win, and the other comments are clearly just Jags players trying to build up confidence in their own team. There is nothing you can read in there disparaging the Patriots or their accomplishments.

Jags are stupid in offering these nuggets, but watch they'll make several mental errors by late hitting, bad timeouts, bad clock management, something, well multiple somethings, just watch.

Every game I have ever seen by Jax/Del Rio and Co. do this, in recent years.

It'll get chippy and Jax will lose their composure.

It'll get ugly, and they'll take some shots.

Last edited:
If you really thought that the Jags staying quiet would make the almighty BB overlook the Jags, you are badly mistaken. Jags have nothing to lose. They are not suppose to even sniff a win. So this is suppose to be their last game of the year, so go out talking cause they cant play as good as the Pats, right.

It wouldn't make BB overlook them, it would just make them look less like a bunch of idiots when they lose. Maybe the Pats would even take it easy on 'em and only win by 20

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes