PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Calvin Ridley? No thanks. (EDIT: Signs With Titans)

Seems to me they would have to offer him an overwhelming contract to get him from Jax. And the sad fact of the matter is that due to taxes, they have to offer him 9% more than Jax just to equal his take home pay.

So in order to really overwhelm whatever Jax offers, NE would have to go ridiculous, which ain't gonna happen.

You do realize that states without income tax invariably have that taken out elsewhere, right? Some it's property tax, some it's sales tax (which ****s over lower class more, but that's another discussion), etc.

You do realize that states without income tax invariably have that taken out elsewhere, right? Some it's property tax, some it's sales tax (which ****s over lower class more, but that's another discussion), etc.

There are some good sites out there that help folks figure out the overall tax burden of any given location. To your point, places with no income tax like Texas and Florida do tend to make up for it in other ways. That said, the tax burden in those states is still lower than most in the northeast.

In the States, I've lived in AZ, VA, NC, CT, NY, and FL. There are definitive differences in the tax burdens of some of those states. AZ and FL definitely felt, and are, more tax friendly.

How much does that matter to players, many of whom have poor financial literacy in the first place? Hard to say...but tax burdened states also have free agency splashes, so if it's a factor, I can't imagine it's a huge one. I haven't seen evidence of people lining up to sign in the tax friendly states at higher rates than the others.

Football is a team game. Especially offense. If you don't have a respectable #1 WR, then the defense can get super creative with how they defend everyone else. It makes the defenses hard to read for the QB. They can get more diverse in their blitz packages which makes it hard for the OL to block. It makes it harder for the other receiving options to find open spots.

I'm not in love with Ridley, but I do think he brings RESPECTIABILITY to the top of the WR depth chart. That's going to help a rookie QB feel comfortable. That's going to help young WRs like Pop Douglas have a fair shot to produce and build confidence. That's going to help a young OT not face as complex blitz packages as he would otherwise that can be mentally confusing and discouraging if he fails to recognize.

I don't love the idea of overspending, but I think in this case it might make sense just for the sake of the overall environment.

Where are you coming up with 9%? State income tax in Mass is 5%. Secondly, it’s no where near as big an issue as you’d think. Taxes are paid based on the location the game Is played in. So it only effects half games.
This is a conversation which has already been beaten to death on this board.

1) 9% is what anyone pays on income over a million (which Ridley would easily exceed)
2) MA residents pay state income tax on income made both in and out of state

Last edited:
Yes, but those policies are geared toward getting as much money from regular, middle class people as they can. Someone making 8 figures annually is going to save more not having income tax than he would lose elsewhere in, say, paying slightly higher sales or property taxes.

If a player gets a $20 million signing bonus, they take home roughly $1.8 million more in Florida than Massachusetts.

There are some good sites out there that help folks figure out the overall tax burden of any given location. To your point, places with no income tax like Texas and Florida do tend to make up for it in other ways. That said, the tax burden in those states is still lower than most in the northeast.

In the States, I've lived in AZ, VA, NC, CT, NY, and FL. There are definitive differences in the tax burdens of some of those states. AZ and FL definitely felt, and are, more tax friendly.

How much does that matter to players, many of whom have poor financial literacy in the first place? Hard to say...but tax burdened states also have free agency splashes, so if it's a factor, I can't imagine it's a huge one. I haven't seen evidence of people lining up to sign in the tax friendly states at higher rates than the others.

And another way that revenue is accounted for is decreasing quality of public services, from schools to roads. Which ushers in the discussion of looking for districts with public education alternatives, which brings up feelings around public/private Ed, etc.

But either way, to your point, it seems to be a dog whistle more than an actually confirmed truth. Sorry I'm getting sidetracked lol. Just all this to say, it's reductionist to chalk it up to merely income tax.

Yes, but those policies are geared toward getting as much money from regular, middle class people as they can. Someone making 8 figures annually is going to save more not having income tax than he would lose elsewhere in, say, paying slightly higher sales or property taxes.

You're not wrong, I guess I'm more or less trying to highlight how there are many other avenues where the money is made up (different taxes), and where it effects other areas (public services that then get privatized, infrastructure, etc.).

Just a lot of things outside of income tax for anyone to consider.

Whatever let's talk football lmao sorry for the derail.

Ridley is going back the J'Ville so stand down fellas. Sorry I didn't know how to make the screenshots any larger. :rofl::rofl: Screenshot_20240312_143957_X.jpgScreenshot_20240312_144008_X.jpg

Pretty apparent we're being used here to drive the price up

This is where reality will set in for us until we're legitimate contenders again. All the details in free agency that got overlooked for years when we were rolling out of bed to 12 wins a year are all relevant again. Cold weather, higher taxes, 45-60 minutes into the city. Not make or breakers for a winning team but when you and another bad team are competing for a guy sometimes you need to overextend to make up for those factors.
Don’t forget the bologna sandwich’s.

We have no idea what motivates the thousands of professional athletes out there, but let the record show I was referencing one specific athlete who (according to reports) has the choice between MA and FL, and is already leaning FL. It is not unreasonable to think the Patriots would have to significantly overpay to lure him.

You're not wrong, I guess I'm more or less trying to highlight how there are many other avenues where the money is made up (different taxes), and where it effects other areas (public services that then get privatized, infrastructure, etc.).

Returning to football.... I agree 100% with those saying Ridley is just using NE as a bargaining chip with Jax. He ain't coming here whether we want him or not.

Returning to football.... I agree 100% with those saying Ridley is just using NE as a bargaining chip with Jax. He ain't coming here whether we want him or not.
A rebuilding team and he's 29 years old. Do you blame him?

Please just pull the offer. Extend Barmore and dish out for another defender and then rely on some of our young WR;s (draft 1 or 2 and Thornton). We can splurge next year or make a trade this year for a YOUNG WR. Just pull the effin offer.

The facts, I guess, is that B state the MA state income tax is 5% not the 9% indicated. That is a fact. Hope that helped
Since you choose not to follow along, here you go....

5% Mass. state tax + 4% Mass. millionaire state tax (after 1st million)

Try to keep up with the times

Grampa Simpson Meme GIF by MOODMAN

States without income tax are better for the rich, by far - the other fees are generally flat, and sales tax is regressive.

There have more than a few recent studies showing that those below the top few % do better in terms of tax burden in California than in Texas, which is truly astounding.

Folks we are not in .. just listened to a podcast where they clearly called out the waiting game to make sure it's a 3rd round pick amd not 2nd round pick.

Jax 0 state tax
No millionaire tax
Trevor Lawrence vs brissett
Great beaches and weather compared to mass winters.

It's a no brainer. We should just close this thread and say that Ridley signs as a FA on Wednesday with jaguars.

We should just state that we are not in sweepstakes to drive his price even lower.

And then only half the games are taxed in your home team's state. So we're talking about 8 or 9 games here.

MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Back