PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Bruschi in Camp

Status
Not open for further replies.

bbabin

On the Game Day Roster
Reaction score
PFW reports that today Seau is manning the ILB spot next to Thomas. This is after Bruschi had a less than stellar day against Evans on blitzes and was beat for Faulk's long reception.

Does anyone think this a bad sign? Or is it merely Belichick changing personnel around? It would be surprising if Bruschi lost his starting job to Seau.

PFW reports that today Seau is manning the ILB spot next to Thomas. This is after Bruschi had a less than stellar day against Evans on blitzes and was beat for Faulk's long reception.

Does anyone think this a bad sign? Or is it merely Belichick changing personnel around? It would be surprising if Bruschi lost his starting job to Seau.
I think the Patriots linebacker corps has a lot of mileage on it and BB will do even more position rotation within that group than he usually does.

They're just trying out different packages. There's a whole lot of training camp left and a lot of time for trying out different things. He might be with another group just doing some other drills. Taking a step back, it is, after all, really early in camp to worry over it.

Last edited:

Bruschi is playing pretty well considering he died last week at the hospital...

We have more potential "starters" than LB positions. Two of those starters are well over 30. Not only will Bill not subject guys like that to two a days, sometimes he won't even have them go once a day in camp. Add to that to some extent all of our LB's are going to rotate this season, in part because some are older and in part to take advantage of the units versatility - and in particular Thomas' versatility. Seau hasn't practiced yet - he's been wearing a red non contact jersey. This AM may be his turn to get his actual reps as opposed to mental reps. Tedy's practiced the first 4 days - today may be his day off or his half day off. He knows this defense better than any LB on the roster, so reps aren't an issue for him.

People really need to stop reading so much into the first weeks of camp. It's all about assessing who and what works where and when.

It is what it is. lol

Hey, if Bru can't cut it, I'm all for putting someone else there. If he can, great. I'm fine with it either way.

I'd like to thank this thread for not being nearly as sky-is-falling hysterical as I presumed it was when I first opened it. I'd say there's absolutely NOTHING to read into the Seau-Bruschi thing, what with that whole "less than a week of T.C. so far" thing going on. It didn't stop the hyperventilating ladies over at the PFW Blog Comments section, though.

Bruschi's shown signs of slowing down for the last couple of years. He can still play. This is a non-story, AFAIC. He and Seau splitting time in the middle this season would, in my view, be a great thing.

Last edited:
I think we're missing the point. Seau, who was redshirted up until now, is healthy enough to take some snaps and start working with Thomas, so Bruschi can take a break.

There's a fine line between being a "gamer" and being "gamey"... :)

I think we're missing the point. Seau, who was redshirted up until now, is healthy enough to take some snaps and start working with Thomas, so Bruschi can take a break.

According to PFW Seau is still in red. And this practice is not in pads - in fact it's been likened to a walk through.

At least people aren't lining up on the Tobin because Cassel took all the first team reps and Brady showed up in street clothes before donning his red shirt just to toss warmups underhanded...:rolleyes:

Last edited:

*tongue in cheek* Maybe its a Bad sign that Cassel is handling all the snaps this morning. I mean, Brady hasn't looked sharp and well, he's having to reduce the number of throws he's making. Maybe its a bad sign also....

As mentioned by Mrs. B, most of the reps were being taken by the 2nd and 3rd stringers. This is by design to get those players reps and to be able to evaluate them.

If Bruschi is doing so bad don't you think he would be getting more reps to get back into it? I don't think you punish someone by giving them less reps especially when you know his potential.

My take is that it was a typical "Vet Day Off" situation that happens all the time at camp. Brady and Harrison didn't do much either. Rest up the older guys and give others some work... I wouldn't read anything other than that into it.

Tedy will be fine - but he won't be playing every snap.

Until/unless injuries hit we have 5 starting caliber LB : Thomas, Vrabel, Colvin, Bruschi, Seau. We usually have 3 (in passing situations) or 4 on the field. That leaves 1 or 2 off the field. It will give the old guys some extra rest and the coaches the chance to better match their skill set with the situation.

LOL!

I'm not concerned -yet. Tedy knows the D better than anyone and is needed on the field. Physically, he can still do the job.

"What a bunch of maroons," to quote the eminent Bugs Bunny. There is/was all sorts of concern about keeping Brady alive, so oddly enough Heath Evans improvement in a blitz protection drill goes unremarked by the fickle fandom. The positive news coming out of these four reports has Faulk doing his typical fine job and Evans being a blitz pick-up stud. The fact that Heath handled Tedy so well is great news, but sadly we now get to read a Bruschi obituary; will you all bow your heads. :(

http://officialnewenglandpatriots.wordpress.com/2007/07/30/pass-protection-drills/
Pass protection drills
July 30th, 2007
Evans stoned everyone he went up against, even taunting Larry Izzo a little bit after stopping him cold.
http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/reiss_pieces/2007/07/day_4_1st_pract_1.html
July 30, 2007
Day 4, 1st practice
By Mike Reiss, Globe Staff
1) Keeping an eye on linebacker Tedy Bruschi is a treat, as he spares no one. "You have to stay on your toes with Bruschi, because he's a slippery guy," said running back Kevin Faulk, who displayed his expertise in the area.
http://www.bostonherald.com/blogs/patriots/?p=1346

Breer talks about Kevin Faulk's work with no comments on Evans or Bruschi.

http://karenjcardoza.com/tcreports/2007/07/30/july-30th-afternoon-single-session/
Heath was “on” dominating most he faced on the drill today.

Glad to see he was just getting a breather. I wasn't sure exactly how things work at training camp. That's why I asked.

I guess it is required to start this response with the obligatory "I love Tedy but..." Put simply Tedy is one of my favorite football players of all time, love him and his attitude.

But anyone who watched the Pats last year saw that Bruschi has lost a step (or two). The depth at LB allows the Pats to mix and match so that he is not totally exposed. The rotation will also allow him to stay fresher and even though he will play less snaps he should be in a position to make more plays.

I think Bruschi plays and starts the majority of the time but there will be specific match ups that are better suited to run stuffers. SD is a team that I could see Thomas and Seau for 1st & 2nd downs with Bruschi and Alexander rotating in for 3rd downs (Thomas moves back outside on 3rd downs).

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST