PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Belichick's Pre-Game Speech

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheSparks1

Practice Squad Player
Reaction score
When I think of the circumstances surrounding tonights Super Bowl game, it reminds me of 1980 Winter Olympics Gold Medal Hockey Game. While the Chargers were certainly not the equivalent to the U.S.S.R., the fact is that if the Patriots don't win this game, the 18-1 means nothing.

In the 2002 HBO Documentary "Do You Believe In Miracles? The Story of the 1980 U.S. Hockey Team", the players reminisced on Herb Brooks' locker room speech prior to the Gold Medal Game vs. Finland. It was short and sweet, yet very powerful.

After that "miracle game", they still had one more game to win before they could take home the gold. They had to beat Finland. Herb Brooks came into the locker room beforehand, and said, "If you lose this game, you will take it to your ******* grave." Then he turned and walked almost all the way out, before turning around and saying again, "To your ******* grave."

This is exactly how I fell about tonights game. I know the Patriots players are self-motivated, but I'd love to hear Belichick drop that line on them just for its significance in U.S. sports history.

It might be the one time Belichick doesn't have to say a word. The team knows what they need to do... maybe turn it over to some of the vets to speak. Why not?

i don't know if i would want to make too much reference to the 1980 hockey team..... unless you are a Giants fan....

The one liner I'd like to hear is

"BE IN THE GAME"

don't let mind wonder, just let all your natural ability, all practiced responses
just flow to what is happening in the game. Make yourself highly aware of
every little thing that is happening in the game.
Be In the Game

Anyone remember the reports of the pregame speech before the Carolina Super Bowl? If you remember, one of the stories of that week was how much the '03 Panthers resembled the '01 Patriots. In his speech to the team on Saturday night, Belichick reportedly ended things with the following three lines.

"I'm so sick of hearing how the Panthers are just like us. You know what? They're not us."

...with that, Belichick reached into a bag, pulled out the Lombardi Trophy, and placed it on the table next to him.

"...and they're never gonna f*&%ing be us."

Goosebumps.

"Just 2 things before we go out, guys.

"First, protect the ball!!!

"Second, play our game.

"We have a date with Lady Destiny this evening. Let's not let her down!"

"We are advancing constantly, and we're not interested in holding onto anything except the enemy. We're going to hold onto him by the nose, and we're going to kick him in the ass. We're going to kick the hell out of him all the time, and we're going to go through him like crap through a goose."

I want his postgame speech (hopefully after a win, but regardless) to be: "An unnamed source told me -- and this was corroborated by a fired Patriots employee -- that you irresponsible, fame-seeking, shotgun-journalists aren't worth my time."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back