PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

7 Round Sporting News Mock

Status
Not open for further replies.

primetime

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
I'll keep it to the Patriots to avoid any issues, so here goes with the first 7 round Sporting News insider mock of the year:

1) Chad Greenway, OLB, Iowa - The Patriots need an outside linebacker with speed to rush off the edge and the toughness to make plays against the run. Greenway didn't perform particularly well in pre-draft workouts, but he always is around the ball. He never stops hustling, a key trait for coach Bill Belichick.

2) Derek Hagan, WR, Arizona St. - The knock on Hagan has been a lack of speed, but he squashed that issue in pre-draft workouts. Deion Branch has been limited by injuries, Troy Brown is almost 35, and newly signed Reche Caldwell is a career underachiever. Hagan is polished, has good hands and could contribute right away.

3a) D'Qwell Jackson, ILB, Maryland
3b) Anwar Phillips, CB, Penn St.
4a) Paul McQuistan, OT, Weber St.
4b) Jon Scifres, K, SMS
5) Calvin Lowry, S, Penn St.
6a) David Anderson, WR, Colorado St.
6b) Josh Lay, CB, Pitt
6c) PJ Daniels, RB, Georgia Tech
7) Matt Lentz, OG, Michigan

Alot of guys I've never heard of in the later rounds. Notably, they have the Pats taking half the Penn St. secondary... just need Alan Zemaitis and we'll be all set. No RB until the 6th round, not sure about that, and not sure about a kicker in the 4th with guys like Elvis Dumervil, Chris Gocong, Wali Lundy, Mike Hass, and Leon Washington still on the board.

a K in the fourth that sound very early

They have Jackson slipping into the third round. That's interesting. Huge instincts on this guy. A little small for ILB for us. He'll have to shed OGs and TEs on every running play. Hope those shoulders are extra tough.

primetime said:
I'll keep it to the Patriots to avoid any issues, so here goes with the first 7 round Sporting News insider mock of the year:

1) Chad Greenway, OLB, Iowa - The Patriots need an outside linebacker with speed to rush off the edge and the toughness to make plays against the run. Greenway didn't perform particularly well in pre-draft workouts, but he always is around the ball. He never stops hustling, a key trait for coach Bill Belichick.

2) Derek Hagan, WR, Arizona St. - The knock on Hagan has been a lack of speed, but he squashed that issue in pre-draft workouts. Deion Branch has been limited by injuries, Troy Brown is almost 35, and newly signed Reche Caldwell is a career underachiever. Hagan is polished, has good hands and could contribute right away.

3a) D'Qwell Jackson, ILB, Maryland
3b) Anwar Phillips, CB, Penn St.
4a) Paul McQuistan, OT, Weber St.
4b) Jon Scifres, K, SMS
5) Calvin Lowry, S, Penn St.
6a) David Anderson, WR, Colorado St.
6b) Josh Lay, CB, Pitt
6c) PJ Daniels, RB, Georgia Tech
7) Matt Lentz, OG, Michigan

Alot of guys I've never heard of in the later rounds. Notably, they have the Pats taking half the Penn St. secondary... just need Alan Zemaitis and we'll be all set. No RB until the 6th round, not sure about that, and not sure about a kicker in the 4th with guys like Elvis Dumervil, Chris Gocong, Wali Lundy, Mike Hass, and Leon Washington still on the board.
I can live with the 6th & 7th round.

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
Back