10 out of 53

Status
Not open for further replies.

patchick

Moderatrix
Staff member
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
By my count, a whopping 10 players on the current roster were signed by the Patriots as UDFAs straight out of college:

Bam Childress
Kelvin Kight
Gene Mruczkowski
Stephen Neal
Mike Wright
Eric Alexander
Corey Mays
Pierre Woods
Antwain Spann
Lonie Paxton

I thought to check after reading Kelvin Kight's comments today about how the Pats gave him a fair shot while other teams seemed to him off based on his draft status. This is the kind of arena in which success breeds success. The more Wrights, Neals and Kights you elevate, the more talented UDFAs will make a beeline to Foxboro.

Randall Gay too but he's on IR.

Randall Gay too but he's on IR.

Right-o, I should have specified the current 53-man roster. I believe Yates is another on IR.

By my count, a whopping 10 players on the current roster were signed by the Patriots as UDFAs straight out of college:

Bam Childress
Kelvin Kight
Gene Mruczkowski
Stephen Neal
Mike Wright
Eric Alexander
Corey Mays
Pierre Woods
Antwain Spann
Lonie Paxton

I thought to check after reading Kelvin Kight's comments today about how the Pats gave him a fair shot while other teams seemed to him off based on his draft status. This is the kind of arena in which success breeds success. The more Wrights, Neals and Kights you elevate, the more talented UDFAs will make a beeline to Foxboro.
I agree the Pats encourage competition on the roster, I was just curious about Kight and Spann who both had been signed by another team initially, and eventually cut and claimed by the Pats - I don't know about Lonie, but the other 7 are direct signings by the Pats and just what the Belichick ordered.

If you look at the consistently good tems in the NFL most have significant contributions from UDFA's.

Of the top of me head, Denver has Rod Smith and Mike Bell, Pittsburgh has Willy Parker, Indy has Dominic Rhodes, and we have the aforementioned.

I agree the Pats encourage competition on the roster, I was just curious about Kight and Spann who both had been signed by another team initially, and eventually cut and claimed by the Pats - I don't know about Lonie, but the other 7 are direct signings by the Pats and just what the Belichick ordered.

Thanks, I had them wrong. (Should have known better with Kight in particular!) I'll put them in the second tier along with the likes of Britt and Hochstein who went to camp with another team but never saw the field. At least I don't think Hochstein did. Oh well, I'll at least stand by the principle of the thing. :snob:

If you look at the consistently good tems in the NFL most have significant contributions from UDFA's.

Of the top of me head, Denver has Rod Smith and Mike Bell, Pittsburgh has Willy Parker, Indy has Dominic Rhodes, and we have the aforementioned.

Box_O_Rocks' friend Hank Baskett looks like he will continue that tradition.

Thanks, I had them wrong. (Should have known better with Kight in particular!) I'll put them in the second tier along with the likes of Britt and Hochstein who went to camp with another team but never saw the field. At least I don't think Hochstein did. Oh well, I'll at least stand by the principle of the thing. :snob:
Stick to your guns on that principle thing. :cool:

Box_O_Rocks' friend Hank Baskett looks like he will continue that tradition.
I believe you are confusing me with my demented twin brother PatsNutMe who was hopeful of going to hell with a good hands Basket.

That list is a tribute to our scouting department, often overlooked but part of this organization.. without them our depth would be compromised.

Right-o, I should have specified the current 53-man roster. I believe Yates is another on IR.

No, he was first with the Dolphins in 2003.

Right.

Kight had been with the Vikings and Packers after first being signed by the Rams in 2004.

Spann was with the Colts and first signed by the Giants in 2005.

In fact, Spann tried out with the Giants at rookie mini-camp and was signed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes