PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Why don't the Sox have any Right handed power?

FreeTedWilliams

RIP NEM
PatsFans.com Supporter
2020 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
Aside from Manny, why is it that the Sox don't have any right handed power in the system?

They have absolutely no power on their bench at all! 2 down bottom of the ninth, no one on, down by 1 with Cora, CoCo, Lugo due up, Who di you pinch hit?

Casey doesn't even have warning track power? Cash?

Yuk, can hit it with the best of them, but that Hitting for power) is not his game. I've always wondered why we haven't drafted the next Dave Kingman.

I watch alot of minor league ball down here and Lars Anderson, and Van Everby are good looking power hitters for the Sox, but both from the left side.

I can't even think of anyone in the system, aside fro Jeff Bailey, who has any power from the right side. You would think that a team that plays half it's games in Fenway Park, would take a shot on at least a couple of right handed power guys.

Youkilis is 13th in the majors (5th in the AL) in SLG. He won't hit 40HR, but he has well above average power.

And outside of a season when he injured his knee, Bay has never hit fewer than 32HR in a full season. Now that he is hitting in a park that is better for his swing, it's certainly not out of the question for Bay to hit close to 40HR in Fenway over the course of a full season.

Michael Almanzar and Jason Place have both shown some flashes in the minors, but both are a very long way away. I completely agree that RH power is a weakness there.

I get your point about the bench, but I wouldn't say that it's really that much of a concern. They had no bat of any kind on the bench last year, so the addition of Casey already makes this years an improvement.

I'd rather see a surplus of very good pitching in the system rather than some good right handed power. That is easily acquired through free agency or trade.

Theo gets in the draft and he sees a sea of pitchers. He's done a great job ... he needs a tweak or two is all.

Last nights game is a perfect example, First off, ur 4th outfileder needs to be a right handed hitter with power, that way a smuck like Buerle can't shut you down. I would rather have a sack of doughnuts than CoCo, he is awful. Did anyone think that CVasey was going to homer in that pinch hit appearance last night? and he is so slow anything hit on the ground within a three mile diameter of home plate and he is getting thrown out at first.

Because Bill James has made theo consentrate on left-handed hitting.

i think theos thoughts coming in where to build the system with pitching first...and as we can see it is paying off now. Hopefully he will draft or trade for some RH thump. Ithink that was the thoughts when we got WilyMo Pena, but we needed him to be in the minors to develop and he just did not have any options left.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Back