VIDEO: MMQB On Patriots 'Dominant' Defense

Status
Not open for further replies.

PatsFans.com Article

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
VIDEO: MMQB On Patriots 'Dominant' Defense

Ian Logue

Peter King of MMQB looks at the Patriots and believes it's the Patriots' defense, not their offense, that has been impressive so far after seeing what they did to Miami last week.

Continue reading...

Thanks, Ian. That was a Stuart Smalley moment. The lullaby in the background was the special touch that made it for me.

"The Patriots are good enough, the Patriots are smart enough, and doggone it, Peter King likes the Patriots!"

I'm sure we'll know much more about how good the defense is in two weeks time after we play the Giants. Eli has always played the Pats well and he's having a pretty good year thus far.

Was that a promotional piece for the NFL Game Summary?

With that said I do agree with most of what he said. The defense is getting better and better. They are so freaking fast and well coached.

The only position that its a bit of a laggard is at CB. Even then they don't completely suck there.

9 game to improve even more. Especially Malcolm, Coleman and Melvin. I think Ryan is what he is. Not great but not gawd awful.

We've only allowed 21 points, 3 per game, less than the Broncos. Even taking that at face value it's good given the platitudes the Broncos "All World" defense is getting. Factor in the blowouts and games in which we've allowed points with massive leads, though, and it's more impressive.

I can't help it, though, the CBs still make me nervous.

Was that a promotional piece for the NFL Game Summary?

With that said I do agree with most of what he said. The defense is getting better and better. They are so freaking fast and well coached.

The only position that its a bit of a laggard is at CB. Even then they don't completely suck there.

9 game to improve even more. Especially Malcolm, Coleman and Melvin. I think Ryan is what he is. Not great but not gawd awful.
I know the corners aren't as individually skilled as the dynastic Ds, but this D is beginning to feel a lot like those early Patriots. They're growing before our eyes and it really is something to behold.

I know the corners aren't as individually skilled as the dynastic Ds, but this D is beginning to feel a lot like those early Patriots. They're growing before our eyes and it really is something to behold.

Agree completely

I'd say this.....I think you have a few of current players who start on those 01-04 teams.

Collins > Phifer
Hightower > Vrabel
DMC> Geno Wilson

Those are the definites. There may be some borderline players in there as well.

I'd say this.....I think you have a few of current players who start on those 01-04 teams.

Collins > Phifer
Hightower > Vrabel
DMC> Geno Wilson

Those are the definites. There may be some borderline players in there as well.

It's tough to match up player-for-player with the classic 3-4 front, but here's an argument starter:

Otis Smith, Tyrone Poole or Malcolm Butler?

I don't think we can compare our early 2000s 3-4 with our current 4-3 because the scheme and responsibilities are different. Not to mention, the game of football is different now. Football is played way more in space than it was in the early 2000s.

I think right now our Safeties are better than the early 2000s Safeties. CBs definitely go to the early 2000s. DTs is the interesting place that could go either way but later this year and future years I think our current DTs will be better.

It's tough to match up player-for-player with the classic 3-4 front, but here's an argument starter:

Otis Smith, Tyrone Poole or Malcolm Butler?
Ugh...

I gotta put Malcolm #3 there. Poole in 2003 was excellent. O-T-I-S was a beast in 01

People keep saying the Patriots schedule is weak, but who out there is going to challenge them? Kaepernick? Wilson? Rogders with no Nelson? Manning? Who out there is so dangerous that if excluded results in labeling the Patriots schedule as weak?

I'm sure we'll know much more about how good the defense is in two weeks time after we play the Giants. Eli has always played the Pats well and he's having a pretty good year thus far.

i honestly thought that the giants and broncos games would be our toughest this year,
. some on this board are writing the giants off, but you can't after they scored 49 points last week.

People keep saying the Patriots schedule is weak, but who out there is going to challenge them? Kaepernick? Wilson? Rogders with no Nelson? Manning? Who out there is so dangerous that if excluded results in labeling the Patriots schedule as weak?

Well to be fair, Steelers w/out Bell/Bryant and Cowboys w/out Romo/Dez was dumb luck, beyond that they won't face Rodgers/Dalton/Ryan/Palmer/Brees/Wilson and haven't yet faced the Manning's.

You can only play who's on your schedule, all that jazz. And I LOVE what this defense is doing, especially the improvements from Easley/Jones and the way Ryan/Harmon are looking--plus Collins and Hightower is just an impossible duo to stop. But their schedule has been weak, and they haven't faced elite QB's/offenses much at all this season.

• Winner
Reactions: SVN
We've only allowed 21 points, 3 per game, less than the Broncos. Even taking that at face value it's good given the platitudes the Broncos "All World" defense is getting. Factor in the blowouts and games in which we've allowed points with massive leads, though, and it's more impressive.

I can't help it, though, the CBs still make me nervous.
Well..we havent faced a murderer's row of QBs. Lucked out with luck and weeden and bortles and freaking tanehill. Same as the broncos have faced except the packers.

i honestly thought that the giants and broncos games would be our toughest this year,
. some on this board are writing the giants off, but you can't after they scored 49 points last week.

Miami scored only five points less four days before NE held them to 7. NY's offense is really good, but NO had a big hand in their reaching those heights. Not to mention Eli's inexplicably terrible weekly throw that miraculously works out. Without that, NO has a 35-21 lead and the ball with little more than a quarter to go.

The last line from King would leave @Interception outraged.

And I think I agree with King here. In my opinion the only defenses that are definitively better than ours are:
  1. Denver
  2. Carolina
  3. St. Louis
  4. NYJ
New England is right there with Cincinnati, Seattle, Minnesota, Philly; and I believe - due to coaching - that our defense is superior to those 4. (Now that I think about it more, Seattle's defense is probably better than ours).

Lol at not being a top 10 defense. That's almost laughable. In fact, I did just laugh.

But their schedule has been weak, and they haven't faced elite QB's/offenses much at all this season.

They've faced two top 10 offenses per DVOA and another that would be top 10 if not for starting their backup QB the past two weeks.

The last line from King would leave @Interception outraged.

And I think I agree with King here. In my opinion the only defenses that are definitively better than ours are:
  1. Denver
  2. Carolina
  3. St. Louis
  4. NYJ
New England is right there with Cincinnati, Seattle, Minnesota, Philly; and I believe - due to coaching - that our defense is superior to those 4. (Now that I think about it more, Seattle's defense is probably better than ours).

Lol at not being a top 10 defense. That's almost laughable. In fact, I did just laugh.

I would say only Denver is def better at this point Carolina and St Louis are close.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes