PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Vernon Gholston article

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think he's more than worth it at number 7, the guy blitzes like Ware, hits like Merriman, and covers like Ernie Sims, he's the best defensive player in the draft. I won't be surprised at all if he has a monster rookie season and makes it to the Pro Bowl.

I think he's more than worth it at number 7, the guy blitzes like Ware, hits like Merriman, and covers like Ernie Sims, he's the best defensive player in the draft. I won't be surprised at all if he has a monster rookie season and makes it to the Pro Bowl.

I totally agree. Gholston will make the front 7 absolutely ferocious against QBs next year if the Pats get him. LOVE this kid.

What is his BB intelligence quotient like? Anyone know?

Well he is saying all the right things, and I like his even tempered demeanor.
He could be a very good fit for the Patriots at #7.
It's hard to tell where he will go at this point, but he might be the unique talent that finally entices BB to draft a LB early.

Vrabel coming from one side and Gholston from the other side, who do you double team on the edge?

Last edited:
I think Gholston will be a more productive, and more explosive, player in the NFL than Long.

I don't understand the "can't miss, can't be blocked, etc." surrounding Long. In my eyes, he's a gifted player that maximizes his talent. He has been aided by a NFL-calibre coach. He'll make a fine lineman/OLB, but talk about future HOF is optimistic at best. He dominates sub-par competition but is often neutralized by similar talent.

His Bowl game performance was pedestrian. I watched the game solely to watch him, every play. When comparing him to current NFL players, rather than his current competition, he looked predictable and stiff. He was lazy once the play progressed past his initial assignment. Honestly, I was disappointed and a little shocked. I had previously seen 3? UVA games this season, and my impression was generally (but not resolutely) positive.

Gholston, conversely, lacks the spit and polish but often dominates against even more highly regarded prospects. Games in which he has looked sub-par have come more from the fact that this facet of his game has been exploited, not from an inherent lack of ability. i.e.: Good "tactician" collegiates were able to leverage him here and there. After my condemnation of Long, this seems to be cherry-picking. Except, in these instances, Gholston had the physical superiority to recover. Something Long will lack in the NFL.

Gholston will benefit more from NFL coaching than Long will benefit from NFL training.

Last edited:
Additionally:

Long seems to give 3-7 really spectacular plays: intense pushes, timely sacks, etc. These are great and memorable, and 3-7 plays by one player is enough (when combined by other contributions) to be enough to affect the outcome.

Gholston is continuously disruptive. The majority of plays. Beyond his inital push, whoever is assigned to him is generally required to have somebody else ackwardly change assignments to compensate. This is a recipe for the same 3-7 plays, easily. This, in addition to same 3-7 plays he provides already.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News