PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Unanswered Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

jct

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
As Fans we approach the draft with only a very partial picture on Team Needs, Health and Player Evaluation:
Consider these FA and CC Looses: Willie McGinest, Tyrone Poole, D Starks, C Brown, Michael Stone, David Givens, Tom Ashworth, Christian Fauria, Andre Davis, Tim Dwight, Adam Vinatieri, Matt Chatham and maybe D Flutie.
How are Harrison,Light and Koppen healing?
How are our development players doing Claridge,Hill,et al?
Is 2006 the draft class we go for broke or will 2007 be a better class?
(If 2007 is not as good a draft class as 2006 then we should trade away some of the projected 11 2007 picks into this years draft IMO)
When will we try to bring in CC FAs like Law or others?
Will we spend to the cap or play games to lower future years cap hits?
The draft IMO will come down to the BVA bringing in talent.
Obviously BB is content with most of the talent on the roster and looks toward the draft for talent and youth.
From what I see this draft is strong in the 2nd to 4th Round range (where we now have 5 picks)
But at a minimum don't you believe that we need:
2-3 LBs/DE
2-3 new WRs (including ST improvement)
1 starting safety or CB (LAW for instance)
a 3rd TE
a backup C/OT
a 3rd QB
a Backup NT
a camp competition K
Strong consideration to youth and improvement at RB (faulk=fumbles)

QB - 3 Brady, Cassell, Mortensen, (need Back up)
RB - 3 Dillon, Faulk, Charles, (need Back up)
FB - 2 Pass, Evans
C - 2 Koppen, Mruczkowski, (need Back up)
G - 5 Neal, Hochstein, Mankins, Steitz, Yates
OT - 6 Light, Gorin, Kanzur, Roehl, Britt, Tucker
WR - 9 Branch, Brown, Johnson, Stone, Musinski, McGrew, Smith, Childress, Caldwell, (need 2-3 Wrs)
TE - 2 Graham, Watson, (need TE)
DE - 4 Seymour, Warren, Hill, Green
DT - 4 Wilfork, Klecko, Wright, Thomas, (need Back up NT)
LB - 9 Vrabel, Izzo, Colvin, Banta-Cain, Beisel, Bruschi, Claridge, Alexander, Don Davis, (Need Starter and 1-2 Back ups)
DB - 15 Samuel, Hobbs, Spann, Poteat, Gay, Chad Scott, Warfield,
Wilson, Sanders, Harrison, Ventrone, Guss Scott, Hawkins, Mitchell, Jones, (Need Starter)
P - 1 Miller
K - 1 Gramatica,(Need CC)
LS - 2 Paxton, Condo

Last edited:
jct said:
How are our development players doing Claridge,Hill,et al?

I would count Claridge out of it. Many local reporters say that they have no update on him since he is never around. If he was to play for the Patriots in 2006 I think his role would be very limited.

Just 2 things...you had Sanders listed twice...15 DBs........and you missed out on Ross Tucker an OL, who is versatile enough to play a number of line positions.

Pats726 said:
Just 2 things...you had Sanders listed twice...15 DBs........and you missed out on Ross Tucker an OL, who is versatile enough to play a number of line positions.

Thanks corrected...

patsfan2113 said:
I would count Claridge out of it. Many local reporters say that they have no update on him since he is never around. If he was to play for the Patriots in 2006 I think his role would be very limited.
Why would you count him out?? If anything, I would say this is like his rookie year..like having another draft pick. If anything, I would think he would be rehabbed and ready to go. Haven't heard that he wasn't. There also have been comments from Patriot players that he will be making a big effort. (Same could be said for Wesley Britt OT, who was recovering all year, although on the PSqd as well as WR Mike Mcgrew)

patsfan2113 said:

Who are you saying said anything abiut Claridge?
I heard he showed a lot of promise proir to being injured last year. I have also head he has a lot of potential and may be an answer for us. Do NOT count Ryan Claridge out by any means.

patsfan2113 said:

Ditto to what other people are saying. Claridge has been rehabbing in Vegas which is where he went to college and where I belive he is from. It is very common for NFL players to return to their college campus to rehabb so I woudn't read too much into it.

jct said:
DT - 4 Wilfork, Klecko, Wright, Thomas, (need Back up NT)

Wright was the back-up NT last year and BB might be planning on doing the same again this year. Regardless they will proably bring in at least one more for TC.

zippo59 said:
Ditto to what other people are saying. Claridge has been rehabbing in Vegas which is where he went to college and where I belive he is from. It is very common for NFL players to return to their college campus to rehabb so I woudn't read too much into it.

What happens in New England, rehabs in Vegas?

At the very minimum don't we need :
1 Starter LB
2 WRs
1 backup TE
1 backup QB
1 Camp Competition K

jct said:
QB - 3 Brady, Cassell, Mortensen, (need Back up)
RB - 3 Dillon, Faulk, Charles,
FB - 2 Pass, Evans
C - 2 Koppen, Mruczkowski,
G - 5 Neal, Hochstein, Mankins, Steitz, Yates
OT - 6 Light, Gorin, Kanzur, Roehl, Britt, Tucker
WR - 9 Branch, Brown, Johnson, Stone, Musinski, McGrew, Smith, Childress, Caldwell, (need 2 Wrs)
TE - 2 Graham, Watson, (need TE)
DE - 4 Seymour, Warren, Hill, Green
DT - 4 Wilfork, Klecko, Wright, Thomas,
LB - 9 Vrabel, Izzo, Colvin, Banta-Cain, Beisel, Bruschi, Claridge, Alexander, Don Davis, (Need Starter )
DB - 15 Samuel, Hobbs, Spann, Poteat, Gay, Chad Scott, Warfield,
Wilson, Sanders, Harrison, Ventrone, Guss Scott, Hawkins, Mitchell, Jones,
P - 1 Miller
K - 1 Gramatica,(Need CC)
LS - 2 Paxton, Condo

and in addition

a running back and a partridge in a pear tree.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST