PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Some food for thought about the 4-0 teams

Status
Not open for further replies.

ctpatsfan77

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Not all 4-0 teams are created equal, obviously. :)

At any rate, I figure I'd present these stats, for comparison's sake:

Time of possession [NFL rank]:
Indy 29:57(!) [18]
Green Bay 30:20 [15]
Dallas 32:48 [6]
New England 34:51 [1]

First downs earned/%age of all plays from scrimmage:
Green Bay 75 [29%]
Dallas 89 [35%]
Indy 91 [37%]
New England 105 [40%]

[Yes, this basically means that of every 10 plays NE runs, four of them end with the Pats moving the chains.]

First downs allowed
Green Bay 78
Indy 75
Dallas 71
New England 60

Third downs attempted [%age of all plays from scrimmage] / third downs converted
Green Bay 54 [21%] / 24
Dallas 51 [20%] / 23
Indy 47 [19%] / 23
New England 39 [15%] / 20

These latter numbers give an idea of how well the Patriots are burying their opponents: it's hard to get your opponent off the field/keep them out of the end zone if they keep earning first downs, especially if they do it before they get to third down. :)

nice job... really shows how the team is in a class on its own.

good stuff, ct.

These numbers bode well for the Pats (compared to Indy) when considering offensive explosion/possession vs. defensive capabilities/requisites.

These numbers bode well for the Pats (compared to Indy) when considering offensive explosion/possession vs. defensive capabilities/requisites.

Here's another perspective. If the trends continue (time of possession approximately 35:00 for Pats, 30:00 for the Colts) that means the Colts defense is on the field an extra 5 minutes every game, or extrapolated out to a 16 game season, 80 more minutes, approximately two extra games ( figure the defense is on the field for half the game , so it's 2.67 games). It is inevitable in a contact sport that the extra time and extra hits will take a toll in the form of extra injuries. You could apply the converse and say that since the Pats offense is on the field for the extra time, the same could apply BUT it was the Colts defense, not their vaunted offense that won it for them last year so I'm concentrating on that side of the ball....
Food for thought.

Last edited:
Here's another perspective. If the trends continue (time of possession approximately 35:00 for Pats, 30:00 for the Colts) that means the Colts defense is on the field an extra 5 minutes every game, or extrapolated out to a 16 game season, 80 more minutes, approximately two extra games ( figure the defense is on the field for half the game , so it's 2.67 games). It is inevitable in a contact sport that the extra time and extra hits will take a toll in the form of extra injuries. You could apply the converse and say that since the Pats offense is on the field for the extra time, the same could apply BUT it was the Colts defense, not their vaunted offense that won it for them last year so I'm concentrating on that side of the ball....
Food for thought.

BTW Marlin Jackson leads the league in tackles - he's the only non-LB in the top 10 in tackles - know what this means? Indy's front 7 STINKS. Teams can run at will on Indy, and NE will be no different. No wonder the Colts' D allows their opponents to hold the ball for 30 minutes per game.

Food for thought.
Good find! I really don't think the Packers or the Cowboys are as good as the media is hyping them. The Packers are heading for a losing streak and I wouldn't be surprised if the boys lose to the Bills. Patriots just might have homefield advantage come Monday.

nice job... really shows how the team is in a class on its own.

I find it odd that you think these particular stats show that the Patriots are "in a class of their own".

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes