PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Smoking in the NFL

Status
Not open for further replies.

OldEnglandPatriot

On the Game Day Roster
Reaction score
It's not unheard of for soccer players to smoke a little bit, former Italy striker Gianluca Vialli being one example.

So I just wondered, are there any or many NFL players (now, or in the past) who are known to smoke? I'm not talking smoking of the Ricky Williams variety, nor of the occasional victory cigar, but honest-to-goodness cigarette smoking.

OldEnglandPatriot said:
It's not unheard of for soccer players to smoke a little bit, former Italy striker Gianluca Vialli being one example.

So I just wondered, are there any or many NFL players (now, or in the past) who are known to smoke? I'm not talking smoking of the Ricky Williams variety, nor of the occasional victory cigar, but honest-to-goodness cigarette smoking.
I cant name any.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can think of one boxer..Mayorga.Hows he doing lately by the way?

Coaches used to smoke on the sidelines. When you see those old film clips it's shocking to see them puffing away.

SeanBruschi54 said:
Why was my post edited?

It wasn't. Check the date on it. It's a bug that pretty much everyone has gotten over the past week or so.

Check out Hoodie's post just above yours:

Last edited by NEM : 08-25-2005 at 09:37 AM.

Last edited:
SeanBruschi54 said:
Why was my post edited?
It wasn't, it's a message board problem that randomly says it's been edited by a random person. Seriously.

I've seen Sebastian Janikowski smoking butts before. But he's a kicker. And a Raider so not sure that counts

jimmyjames said:
I've seen Sebastian Janikowski smoking butts before. But he's a kicker. And a Raider so not sure that counts
He's a massive drinker but not a big smoker.

Bethel was smokin when he returned that Kickoff againts the Colts a few years ago.

This thread must mark the official start of the offseason.

SeanBruschi54 said:
He's a massive drinker but not a big smoker.

Not sure what he is but I have seen him in person on two separate occasions smoking cigarettes. Mind you both times he was standing in front of a bar, and he has a couple DUI's not to mention the time he passed out face first on the dance floor of a club and was found to be in possesion GHB, so yes he is probably also a massive drinker.

Hoodie said:
Coaches used to smoke on the sidelines. When you see those old film clips it's shocking to see them puffing away.

You have to remember back in "those days" it was viewed as the normal, "manly", and expected thing to do......very few gave it a second thought.

It's tobacco...

Warren Sapp will often have a big fat dip in his mouth when doing lockerroom interviews. This is the best pic I could find...
011104ws1v.jpg

PATSNUTme said:
Bethel was smokin when he returned that Kickoff againts the Colts a few years ago.

This thread must mark the official start of the offseason.

Well, I thought it might be interesting. On the face of it, soccer is not an ideal sport for smokers (yes, I know, there is no ideal sport for smokers!) given that it entails fairly constant running for two 45 minute periods. On the other hand, maybe smoking is more detrimental for athletes engaged in a more 'explosive' sport like football, with a lot of standing around but a need to be quick in short bursts.

At the same time, soccer scouting isn't generally as scientific as in the NFL. I imagine that if a highly-rated draft prospect was known to smoke a little then many teams would automatically eliminate him from their thinking... But if a talented soccer player smoked the odd cigarette, many teams would overlook it (whilst of course encouraging him to stop, no doubt).

Hoodie said:

Ernie Zampese - the guy was a smokestack. You could barely make him out through all that smoke up there in the coach's booth.

SeanBruschi54 said:
Why was my post edited?

Some sort of weird mojo going on around here. I've seen plenty of posts "edited" by someone other than the original poster. Heck - look at mine above. We've either got a bug in the program, some jack@ss screwing around, or bored moderators.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call