PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Red Sox sign Paul Byrd

Disco Volante

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
FOX Sports

Source: Red Sox sign free-agent righty Byrd
by Ken Rosenthal

The Red Sox, seeking additional depth for their rotation, have signed free-agent right-hander Paul Byrd to a minor-league contract, according to a major league source.

Byrd, 38, is expected to be ready to join the major league staff around Sept. 1. He has yet to pitch this season and will require time in the minor leagues.

Boston acquired Byrd last season from the Cleveland Indians. In eight starts for the Red Sox he went 4-2 with a 4.78 ERA. He also pitched in one postseason game for the Red Sox last season, giving up four runs in 3 1/3 innings.

It's come to this? One of the last columns I read concerning the non-waiver trading deadline was, if the Sox choose not to trade hopefully they will have better luck then last year when they acquired Paul Byrd (Sigh).

Our pitching staff was going into this season and still is our weak link.

Wakefield was a bonus this year.

Dice-k never impressed me and his BB caught up to him this year.

Lester came down from last year.

Beckett is Beckett.

This staff is average after Beckett.

That's it. "Strengthen" the pitching staff by acquiring has beens. How about adding some quality starting pitching Theo.

Christ I feel like a pregnant emotional woman after this Rays series and the beat down the Yankees are serving us with.

A stuttering offense with a pedestrian defense. Something has gotta give.

Beckett is Beckett.

:wha:

Going into the season the pitching staff was a strength for this team. They had tons of depth and 2 aces at the top. Everything after Beckett and Lester hasn't worked out though.

"Lester came down from last year"?

Have you been watching him pitch? He had a bad first 2 months but since then the guy has been absolutely ridiculous. His K rate has skyrocketed this year and his defense has let him down big time to the tune of almost .75 worth of ERA.

We had three aces.

Dice-K was coming off an 18-3, 2.90 ERA season. Rarely can you lose someone of that magnitude and just move along.

Had Dice-K been healthy there's no doubt in my mind we'd be in 1st place right now.

Beckett is Beckett.

Sorry but Dice K isn't an ace or even close to being an ace. He had an extremely lucky 2008 that wasn't repeatable.

I think you meant to quote me.

How does one "luckily" obtain a 2.90 ERA along with an 18-3 record?

Ah, you are right. haha

His BABIP was .267 in 08. League average was over .300.

His ERA was 2.90 but his FIP 4.03. The defense clearly played lights out behind him.

His LOB % 80.6. All of these numbers that he put up in 08 are unsustainable.

The guy walks way too many hitters and doesn't pitch deep enough into games. The guy put up good results but he's the opposite of an ace right now imo.

That's it. "Strengthen" the pitching staff by acquiring has beens. How about adding some quality starting pitching Theo.

Christ I feel like a pregnant emotional woman after this Rays series and the beat down the Yankees are serving us with.

A stuttering offense with a pedestrian defense. Something has gotta give.

You can't be serious. We just lost two games that went way into extra innings while playing away. Everyone knew Smoltz was done, take that game away and it wasn't the pitching that hurt us. We had a bad break when Wake went on the DL. How many times has he done that in his career?
Offense, I don't know what gives with that?

You can't be serious. We just lost two games that went way into extra innings while playing away. Everyone knew Smoltz was done, take that game away and it wasn't the pitching that hurt us. We had a bad break when Wake went on the DL. How many times has he done that in his career?
Offense, I don't know what gives with that?
Beckett is the only pitcher who looks like doing something productive and can continually hit his location. Lester is getting there, but we give him no run support.

Yes, I'm deadly serious.

Holy sh^t!........How bad off are the sox that they have to sign this washed up bum.....aka John Smoltz "Part Deux".......Next thing ole' Eck will be warming up in the bullpen........wow....thank gawd football season is coming........

Sorry but Dice K isn't an ace or even close to being an ace. He had an extremely lucky 2008 that wasn't repeatable.

I think this is a very realistic post on Dice......He is a good pitcher IN THIS LEAGUE at best.......may have been a star in Japan.....but here at best he is a #4 pitcher in the rotation.........He had good offense behind him last year....not the same this year (even if he was in there)......

Beckett is the only pitcher who looks like doing something productive and can continually hit his location. Lester is getting there, but we give him no run support.

Yes, I'm deadly serious.

And the others are getting run support?

0-0 game into the 15th inning last night, no runs today- they aren't giving anyone run support, not just Lester.

And the others are getting run support?

0-0 game into the 15th inning last night, no runs today- they aren't giving anyone run support, not just Lester.
Yeah I know. It seems like every team I follow across the world are paper heroes atm. Fantastic line ups on paper and all are stuttering at the same time.

That cosmos needs to work itself out and quick ;)

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back