PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

New England Patriots 2014 Pre-Draft Depth Chart

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brady6

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
This how I see thing heading into the draft.

QB-Tom Brady-Ryan Mallett
RB-Shane Vereen -Stevan Ridley-Brandon Bolden-Jonas Gray
FB-James Develin
X-WR-Aaron Dobson-Brandon LaFell-Kenbrell Thompkins-Matthew Slater-Greg Orton
Z-WR-Julian Edelman-Danny Amendola-Josh Boyce-Reggie Dunn
Y-TE-Rob Gronkowski-Michael Hoomanawanui
Flex-TE-D.J. Williams-Mark Harrison
LT-Nate Solder-Jordan Devey
LG-Logan Mankins-Josh Kline
OC-Ryan Wendell-Braxston Cave
RG-Dan Connolly-Chris Barker
RT-Sebastian Vollmer-Marcus Cannon-R.J. Mattes
LDE-Rob Ninkovich-Jake Bequette
DT-Tommy Kelly-Armond Armstead-Chris Jones-Joe Vellano
NT-Vince Wilfork-Sealver Siliga-Marcus Fortson
RDE-Chandler Jones-Michael Buchanan
SAM-Jamie Collins-Chris White-Josh Hull
MIKE-Dont'a Hightower-Steve Beauharnais
WILL-Jerod Mayo-Ja'Gared Davis
LCB-Darrelle Revis-Alfonzo Dennard-Justin Green
RCB-Brandon Browner-Logan Ryan-Kyle Arrington
FS-Devin McCourty-Tavon Wilson
SS-Duron Harmon-Pat Chung-Nate Ebner-Kanorris Davis
K-Stephen Gostkowski
P-Ryan Allen
LS-Danny Aiken-Charley Hughlett

I will say looking at the team as it stands without a single draft pick or UDFA it is a stronger roster than the one that went to the AFCCG last year, and it is significantly stronger than the roster that went to the 2011 Super Bowl.

Edit: Added Josh Hull

Last edited:
Useful -- thanks. I like the way you've divided between NT and DT. Not sure Harrison really is a "flex" TE, but we'll see. As you say, this is the starting point. As usual, BB has done what he likes to do: put together a roster he could go into the season with before the draft. How strong it will be depends on how Wilfork, Kelly, Amendola and Gronk come back. To a lesser extent, on how the young receivers develop and if Armstead shows anything.

Ridley should be listed as the starting RB, not Vereen.
Vereen played the most snaps of any of the RBs on average in the games he was not on injured reserve. That is why I listed him ahead of Ridley.

Having it out there does really help to show how much they really need depth at LB and DE. Can you imagine if one of the starters got hurt and we had to start one of these guys?

Having it out there does really help to show how much they really need depth at LB and DE. Can you imagine if one of the starters got hurt and we had to start one of these guys?

Add Will Smith in FA for depth and take a LB early. Honestly I think LB and Safety are bigger needs than DT.

I agree, the last time the roster was this deep was 2007. 2007 was a wagon, they were loaded.

2007 was also a putrid draft by the Patriots. With this deep of a draft class hopefully some solid contributors will emerge. You could also make an argument that it may be better to target a couple of impact contributors (the dreaded trade up). The average rookie is going to have a hard time making this roster.

Link to My roster breakdown

This how I see thing heading into the draft.

QB-Tom Brady-Ryan Mallett
RB-Shane Vereen -Stevan Ridley-Brandon Bolden-Jonas Gray
FB-James Develin
X-WR-Aaron Dobson-Brandon LaFell-Kenbrell Thompkins-Matthew Slater-Greg Orton
Z-WR-Julian Edelman-Danny Amendola-Josh Boyce-Reggie Dunn
Y-TE-Rob Gronkowski-Michael Hoomanawanui
Flex-TE-D.J. Williams-Mark Harrison
LT-Nate Solder-Jordan Devey
LG-Logan Mankins-Josh Kline
OC-Ryan Wendell-Braxston Cave
RG-Dan Connolly-Chris Barker
RT-Sebastian Vollmer-Marcus Cannon-R.J. Mattes
LDE-Rob Ninkovich-Jake Bequette
DT-Tommy Kelly-Armond Armstead-Chris Jones-Joe Vellano
NT-Vince Wilfork-Sealver Siliga-Marcus Fortson
RDE-Chandler Jones-Michael Buchanan
SAM-Jamie Collins-Chris White
MIKE-Dont'a Hightower-Steve Beauharnais
WILL-Jerod Mayo-Ja'Gared Davis
LCB-Darrelle Revis-Alfonzo Dennard-Justin Green
RCB-Brandon Browner-Logan Ryan-Kyle Arrington
FS-Devin McCourty-Tavon Wilson
SS-Duron Harmon-Pat Chung-Nate Ebner-Kanorris Davis
K-Stephen Gostkowski
P-Ryan Allen
LS-Danny Aiken-Charley Hughlett

I will say looking at the team as it stands without a single draft pick or UDFA it is a stronger roster than the one that went to the AFCCG last year, and it is significantly stronger than the roster that went to the 2011 Super Bowl.
That roster is substantially better than the one that played in the AFCCG. The Pats were missing Revis, Browner, Wilfork, Kelly, Mayo on defense, and missing Gronk and Vollmer on offense were huge. The receiving corps is better just by the rookies getting a year older, and Lafell is a great addition.

I'd adjust the DB scheme to Revis and Dennard at CB and Arrington at Slot CB with Browner as the hammer. I don't see Dennard losing his starting spot at all. Rather, I see Browner getting specific duty against guys he can out-muscle or who need a good shot in the chops just to let them know what's what. Megatron is in for a long night when the Patriots play Detroit. I bet he has a different guy on him on every passing down.

People are really down on Patrick Chung, and he sucked with the Eagles even though he was playing for his old coach. But I like his humility coming back to New England. I hope he surprises us.

It will be interesting to see how Browner is used from week 5 on. Having Logan Ryan and Brandon Browner as backups is just amazing. The Patriots can just play man-to-man against anybody.

That roster is substantially better than the one that played in the AFCCG. The Pats were missing Revis, Browner, Wilfork, Kelly, Mayo on defense, and missing Gronk and Vollmer on offense were huge. The receiving corps is better just by the rookies getting a year older, and Lafell is a great addition.

I'd adjust the DB scheme to Revis and Dennard at CB and Arrington at Slot CB with Browner as the hammer. I don't see Dennard losing his starting spot at all. Rather, I see Browner getting specific duty against guys he can out-muscle or who need a good shot in the chops just to let them know what's what. Megatron is in for a long night when the Patriots play Detroit. I bet he has a different guy on him on every passing down.

People are really down on Patrick Chung, and he sucked with the Eagles even though he was playing for his old coach. But I like his humility coming back to New England. I hope he surprises us.

It will be interesting to see how Browner is used from week 5 on. Having Logan Ryan and Brandon Browner as backups is just amazing. The Patriots can just play man-to-man against anybody.
I agree, I do not see Dennard losing his job either I see it more as Browner covering the opponents #1 TE 1on1, Revis covering the opponents #1 WR 1on1, and Dennard covering the opponents #2 WR 1on1. For the sake of the depth chart though I just kept it simple rather than including unique positions.

Andy Johnson brought up an interesting viewpoint earlier this offseason, in terms of suggesting the following at LB:

SAM--Hightower
MIKE--Mayo
WILL--Collins

While it's definitely not the general consensus of what the normal fans think, it kind of seems like that would enable these players to excel at their roles in the best manner possible. What do you think, since you are pretty decent at breaking down defensive schemes and alignments for potential spots?

Am I overlooking any coverage aspect for partial SAM responsibilities? I ask simply because it seemed so simple, but others have not seemed to agree; but also because you are much better than me at assessing individual spots for defensive alignments.

Andy Johnson brought up an interesting viewpoint earlier this offseason, in terms of suggesting the following at LB:

SAM--Hightower
MIKE--Mayo
WILL--Collins

While it's definitely not the general consensus of what the normal fans think, it kind of seems like that would enable these players to excel at their roles in the best manner possible. What do you think, since you are pretty decent at breaking down defensive schemes and alignments for potential spots?

Am I overlooking any coverage aspect for partial SAM responsibilities? I ask simply because it seemed so simple, but others have not seemed to agree; but also because you are much better than me at assessing individual spots for defensive alignments.

Not an expert on this by any means, but wouldn't Mayo be a better fit for the Sam and have Hightower play the Mike? From my understanding, the Sam has more coverage responsibilities than the Mike backer. I also believe that Hightower's ability to take on blocks and be a force against the run would be a better fit in the Mike backer role.

Plus hasn't Mayo pretty much always been the Sam in our defensive alignment? IIRC, 2012 Spikes was the Mike and Hightower was the Will. I think we can pretty much pencil in Collins as the starting Will LB tho; he is the best athlete of the 3.

Good question for someone that knows more than me.

SAM--Hightower
MIKE--Mayo
WILL--Collins

In general, I agree with AJ’s plan to use Hightower at the SAM, Mayo at the MIKE, and Collins at the WILL, for the sake of the depth chart I just went with the consensus. There are many variations such as Browner/Dennard and the LBs but I was just trying to get the depth out there.

I do think that they will use the grouping in projected in the depth chart though. I think Belichick likes Mayo on the outside as a playmaker, and I think that being able to blitz Hightower from the A-Gap at the MIKE will give the defense and element that it did not have with Spikes. In addition, the SAM is the most active in the pass rush and Collins has the most dynamic pass rush ability of any of the LBs so that would make sense. The good news is they are able to mix things up and use different groupings; they could even go big with Armstead at LDE and use Ninkovich at the SAM as a pass rusher.

Add Will Smith in FA for depth and take a LB early. Honestly I think LB and Safety are bigger needs than DT.
I really don't know how much better Will Smith is than Andre Carter at this point. I think they will still need someone to take a lot of snaps, a guy who can move from OLB to DE could be ideal but they could also use Jamie Collins in that role and draft a LB who is better in coverage.

I really don't know how much better Will Smith is than Andre Carter at this point. I think they will still need someone to take a lot of snaps, a guy who can move from OLB to DE could be ideal but they could also use Jamie Collins in that role and draft a LB who is better in coverage.

He is 32 coming off an injury, so he will probably be pretty cheap. I think he has more left than Carter and over the course of his career he has consistently gotten 6-8 sacks per year. Suitable for a one year stop gap IMO. He is not a long term solution; we don't need a world beater just a rotational pass rusher.

Btw anyone think Chandler Jones can have a Robert Quinn-esque break out year?
This is not a knock on Chandler Jones but I do not think him and Quinn are the same types of players. Jones actually fits more the Watt mold since he can play inside and outside as well as even and odd fronts. Quinn is more explosive, and Jones is more complete.

In my dream world this is what would happen.

Trades –
Patriots trade #29 and #130 to the Lions for #45, #76, and #111
Patriots trade Ryan Mallett to the Texans for #65
Draft/UDFA –
45-Dominique Easley, DL
62-Marcus Martin, OL
65-Deon Buchanan, DB
76-Marcus Smith, DL
93-CJ Fiedorowicz, TE
111-Jordan Tripp, LB
140-Aaron Murray, QB
198-Brandon Thomas, OL
206-Lorenzo Taliaferro, RB
244-Trey Burton, TE
UDFA-Gator Hoskins, FB
UDFA-Terrence Fede, DL
UDFA-Rob Blanchflower, TE

IF that happened they would enter training camp looking like this (more players obviously).

QB-Brady-Murray
RB-Ridley-Vereen-Taliaferro-Bolden-Gray
FB-Develin-Hoskins
X-WR-Dobson-LaFell-Thompkins-Harrison (WR/TE)-Orton
Z-WR-Edelman-Amendola-Boyce-Dunn-Slater
Y-TE-Fiedorowicz-Hoomanawanui-Blanchflower
F-TE-Gronkowski-Williams-Burton
LT-Solder-Devey
LG-Mankins-Kline-Barker
OC-Martin-Wendell-Cave
RG-Connolly-Thomas
RT-Vollmer-Cannon-Mattes
LDE-Ninkovich-Bequette-Smith
DT-Kelly-Easley -Armstead (DE/DT)-Jones (94)-Vellano
NT-Wilfork-Siliga-Fortson
RDE-Jones (95)-Buchanan-Fede
SAM-Collins-Davis
MIKE-Hightower-Beauharnais
WILL-Mayo-Tripp-White-Hull
LCB-Revis-Dennard
RCB-Browner-Ryan-Arrington-Green
FS-McCourty-Harmon-Wilson
SS-Buchanan-Chung-Ebner-Davis
K-Gostkowski
P-Allen
LS-Aiken-Hughlett

Chandler Jones has had a better start to his career than Robert Quinn did so he doesn't really need a break out season per se:

Jones year 1: 45 tackles, 6 sacks, 4 pass defenses, 3 forced fumbles
Quinn year 1: 23 tackles, 5 sacks, 2 pass defenses, 0 forced fumbles

Jones year 2: 79 tackles, 11.5 sacks, 0 pass defenses, 1 forced fumble
Quinn year 2: 29 tackles, 10.5 sacks, 2 pass defenses, 1 forced fumble

But it's totally not out of the realm of possibility he has a similar year 3 to Quinn and jumps into that top 5 top 10 consideration - especially if the DTs stay healthy and there's some more depth there, along with an elite secondary. Quinn's 3rd year for anyone who hasn't seen the numbers:

57 tackles, 19 sacks, 1 pass defense, 7 forced fumbles

Jones might not force that many fumbles but 7.5 more sacks than last year isn't impossible.

Yeah, I wasn't necessarily comparing the two more of just comes on very strong in his third season. I think Chandler Jones could be considered one of the top 3 43 ends in the league. His first two years in the league are stronger than the likes of Hardy or Quinn. It seems that the third season is the year in which pass rushers come into their own; Hardy never had double digit sacks before his third year and Quinn blew up.

I think Chandler Jones could be in for a big year as well.

Combine with improvement of players like Collins and Hightower and we could have an elite defense.

Yeah, I wasn't necessarily comparing the two more of just comes on very strong in his third season. I think Chandler Jones could be considered one of the top 3 43 ends in the league. His first two years in the league are stronger than the likes of Hardy or Quinn. It seems that the third season is the year in which pass rushers come into their own; Hardy never had double digit sacks before his third year and Quinn blew up.

I think Chandler Jones could be in for a big year as well.

Combine with improvement of players like Collins and Hightower and we could have an elite defense.
If they can add a few pieces in the draft, the defense could be the best of the Belichick era. The secondary is lockdown with the best CB in the AFC and the best FS in the AFC.

Revis, McCourty, Wilfork, Mayo, could all have the case made for them that they are the best at their position in the AFC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes