Status
Not open for further replies.

Pats726

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
Reaction score
PFT: An easy solution to this signal stealing mess [merged]

From PFT http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

THERE'S AN EASY SOLUTION TO SIGNAL STEALING

As the storm clouds gather regarding allegations that the New England Patriots have been stealing defensive signals on a chronic basis, two basic truths are obvious to us.

First, surely the Pats aren't the only team to do it. (If, of course, the Pats are doing it.)

Second, there's an easy solution to the problem.

Put. A. Radio. In. The. Helmet. Of. The. Middle. Linebacker. Please.

We'll never hear about anyone stealing offensive signals because there are no offensive signals to steal. Because the coaching staff can speak directly to the quarterback, through the radio receiver in the helmet with the ugly-ass green dot on it.

So why not do the same thing on the defensive side of the ball?

Though there's a lot of smoke here -- and there very well could be fire -- the situation still makes little sense to us. On one hand, videotaping the defensive signals would presumably be used when preparing to play the team in the future. On the other hand, the Pats only play the Lions and Packers once every four years. So unless there's a black market for this kind of stuff, the risk would seem to outweigh the reward. (Then again, it's possible that they'll face an NFC opponent in a Super Bowl before the Pats play them again in the regular season. Still, the benefit is too remote, in our view, to ever take that kind of a chance.)

Also, the in-game communication between the cameraman and the Pats' coaching staff suggests some type of Rain Man card-counting skills that allows the guy with the camera to figure out in real time what the defensive signals might be. But how does the video camera come into play? Is the guy rewinding the tape and comparing it to defense that was used? How can the guy do both things?

And even if he's merely taping the calls and signaling the information to a member of the New England coaching staff, why not use two people to do that job?

Firstly, I think it states a possible solution to this...I just have a problem with
only having one defensive player wired...as with specialized defenses it would be hard...IF there was a way to have a portable radio and given to one player...ONLY at a time..a way to say have Thomas have it foe 2 downs and another for 3rd or something like that..Fine... With all the hullabaloo, at this point, I think it MAY be the way to go.

Also that they mentioned how the Patriots are NOT the only team to do this...

To Those who ARE CALLING the Patriots Cheaters take note of this..and explain......

----I think noteworthy a rather interesting description of what this guy would HAVE to do..and it is almost laughable. I can't imagine a more Rube Goldberg way of actually doing that...makes NO SENSE!!

Didn't the MLB or another defensive player used to have a radio in his helmet?

i was also wondering how much our offense would concentrate on what was happening on the field as supposed to figuring out what a cameraman is signaling from the tunnel ..

Didn't the MLB or another defensive player used to have a radio in his helmet?
No...it was proposed last year but lost by 2 votes...they MAY at some point have tried in preseason..but it could be a solution.

Why not use defensive radios?

If this is true wouldn't the best thing to do to solve the problem, if it's not already done, is put an ear piece into defensive players helmet like they do with the QB? Just a thought.

Radios for the Defense?

I'm wondering if that will be the lasting result of this goofiness. I don't think it would be that hard to allow several guys to be so equipped and still only permit one radio-controlled guy on the field at a time considering the new 'green dot' policy for the QB's.

Would it ruin the spirit of the game if defensive coaches stopped looking like they had ants in their pants due to signaling in calls between plays? Or would it damage the intentional advantage the league gives to the offense by allowing them to communicate using 21st century means as opposed to cave man style?

Re: Why not use defensive radios?

If this is true wouldn't the best thing to do to solve the problem, if it's not already done, is put an ear piece into defensive players helmet like they do with the QB? Just a thought.

Think of it this way. If we lose a second round draft choice and gain the ability to talk to the MLB, our defense will dominate and return the natural competitive balance that football is supposed to have between offense and defense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
Back