PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots won't be taking Samardzija

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seymour93

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
This is something most probably expected, but it's set in stone - the Pats will not take Samardzija. He's decided to focus on baseball with the Chicago Cubs. Have a good career Shark.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/6385348

Samardzija going to focus on Cubs career

Cubs prospect Jeff Samardzija, a record-breaking receiver at Notre Dame, is giving up football for baseball, FOXSports.com has learned.

Samardzija, a right-handed pitcher, was the Cubs' fifth-round pick last summer and projected as a first-round pick in the NFL draft.
He signed a $7.25 million contract with the Cubs and went 1-2 with a 2.70 ERA in seven starts at Class A last summer before returning to Notre Dame for his senior football season.

I don't think they would've picked him anyways, especially not in the first round like a lot of draft boards seems to think.

I don't think they would've picked him anyways, especially not in the first round like a lot of draft boards seems to think.

:agree:

He was such a lazy pick. Just because your coach is a former colleague of BB doesn't mean the Pats will take you. Pioli has said that the one person he took in the draft that he thought may not be 100% committed to football was Jabari Holloway.

Holloway was a 4th or 5th rounder? Well the bad news about this is that one more top receiver goes off the board even if the Pats weren't planning to take him anyways.

So... Dwayne Jarrett anyone?

Pats aren't taking a WR is the 1st round anyway, but with this news how high does he go in the event that he fails at BB or changes his mind?

Drew Hensen went early 6th as I recall.

Holloway was a 4th or 5th rounder? Well the bad news about this is that one more top receiver goes off the board even if the Pats weren't planning to take him anyways.

So... Dwayne Jarrett anyone?

Holloway was a 4th rounder while TE Arthur Love was picked in the 6th during the same draft.

As for Jarrett... I highly doubt it. He's too slow supposedly and as a result everyone's comparing him to Mike Williams.

ditch a possible 10-15million contract for a 7.5 mill contract?

ditch a possible 10-15million contract for a 7.5 mill contract?

Troy Brown is considered "over the hill" at 35.
Curt Schilling is 40.

Tom Brady signed a 6-year, $60M deal.
Gil Meche got a 5-year, $55M deal.

$$$-wise, this makes one heck of a lot more sense for Samardzija.

idk...curt schilling is one of the best, maybe samar. will eventually make a lineup of SP or stay in the bullpen but he wont nearly get the exposure he would in football....instead of being a possible star in 2 or 3 years in footbal he chose to play in the minors for a few years...he might not even make the jump to be a SP in the majors...let alone be at the level of curt

samar. has the talents to become at the level or troy brown at his prime, maybe even better....but i really doubt he'll ever make it to the level curt's in.....

and plus...he couldve retired at 35...instead of 45 lol

and brady only signed a 60 mill deal b/c he wanted the other cap money to go to other players who could help him lead the team...thats why he was such an advocate to resigning branch...he wasnt going to force the staff to give him a 99 mill. deal like peyton b/c 99mil and the endorsement deals are all peyton will ever have...

if i was the guy who won the superbowls i think i would deserve a 99 mill contract over a 60 mil, but brady is a true player, doesnt care about the money and will play the game to play the game...thats what makes brady so great

any other player, of course, would ask for the money to play

Last edited:
orrrrr samar. can join the MLS and sign a 5 year 250 mill contract like beckham :p :p :p

idk...curt schilling is one of the best, maybe samar. will eventually make a lineup of SP or stay in the bullpen but he wont nearly get the exposure he would in football....instead of being a possible star in 2 or 3 years in footbal he chose to play in the minors for a few years...he might not even make the jump to be a SP in the majors...let alone be at the level of curt

According to ESPN Radio, Samardzija has a 95-mph fastball, and the Cubs believe he'll be in their starting rotation by the end of 2009.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe