PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots Miss Brooks Workout

Status
Not open for further replies.

mavfan2390

Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job
Reaction score
If the Patriots have a serious interest in former Virginia linebacker Ahmad Brooks, an entrant in the July 13 supplemental draft, they’re holding their cards awfully close to the vest.
According to agent Greg Williams, approximately 40 officials representing 22 teams attended Brooks’ pro day on the Charlottesville, Va., campus yesterday.
The Patriots were not among them.

http://patriots.bostonherald.com/patriots/view.bg?articleid=145123

I don't know if this is BB playing hardball (meaning he doesn't want it known he has interest), or if BB really doesn't have any interest. I guess we'll see soon enough.

mavfan2390 said:
I guess we'll see soon enough.
We may never know as what pick we may offer won't be public unless we get him. If the Dolphins get him with a #2, we could have bid our #2 and we wouldn't know. Now, if a team gets him with their #6, that would tell us a lot.

mavfan2390 said:
http://patriots.bostonherald.com/patriots/view.bg?articleid=145123

I don't know if this is BB playing hardball (meaning he doesn't want it known he has interest), or if BB really doesn't have any interest. I guess we'll see soon enough.

Interesting that the article wasn't as negative on the workout as Sirius Radio was yesterday. They came out and said he had a horrible workout.

As I've mentioned in other posts, I saw him play a few times for UVA and was completely unimpressed with his lack of nose for the ball. Out of shape. No nose for the ball. Character issues. Sounds like a Dolphin to me.

Even if we did get him, would he really contribute in '06 ? July 13th, then still have to sign him with 15 days to go before camp. Hasn't played or participated in any mini-camps, needs to learn the defense. Hell it too Beisel a year to feel comfortable, and he's been in the league for 5 years. I think Brooks would see plenty of bench time even if we do take him.

Don't get me wrong, the guy has a ton of talent, apparently his 40 times at the workout were no higher than 4.68, and as low as 4.53. Very good playing in a 3-4, weighed 260. If we get him, I'd be thrilled, but he won't contribute much in '06, at least that's what I'm guessing. Who knows, could turn out to be another Channing Crowder, or Odell Thurman or Lofa Tatupu and contribute a lot, but I don't see it happening. Marquise Hill has been here 2 full seasons and hasn't hardly seen the field. I wouldn't give higher than a 3rd rounder for Brooks, too risky for anything higher.

Either Belichick wants him or not. I think he'll either put in a claim for a first or second round pick to do everything he can to get him, or he won't put a claim in at all. I don't see him taking the half assed approach of "This guy can help the team at this pick, but not at this pick." Don't think of it like you would approaching the draft, think of it as a silent auction. If you really want something, bid to win it. If you don't want it, don't bid at all.

Last edited by a moderator:
mavfan2390 said:

Given the "secret" circumstances in which he was dismissed from his team, I'm guessing that BB got the lowdown from Al Groh, and is going to pass.

It's going to take a minumum 2nd round pick given the level of interest anyway, and for a problem child, that's just not worth it no matter how good he might be.

Miss Brooks Workout?

Attachments

• evearden7.jpg
    evearden7.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 281
dryheat44 said:
Either Belichick wants him or not. I think he'll either put in a claim for a first or second round pick to do everything he can to get him, or he won't put a claim in at all. I don't see him taking the half assed approach of "This guy can help the team at this pick, but not at this pick."
This is exactly how BB should do it. The guy Brooks can help the team, but not at too high a pick. Remember that the pick is from next year's draft. You must consider that the pick we use is gone if we get Brooks. You absolutely MUST consider what type of player you could have gotten with that pick in next year's draft. That's where the "but not at this pick" comes into play.

It's not half-assed to not use a #1 or #2 pick on a guy if they don't think he is a #1 or #2 talent.

There you go. Not interested.

Who is last LB that BB drafted with a #1 or #2?

JR4 said:
Who is last LB that BB drafted with a #1 or #2?
None. TJ was a #2 before BB came here.

Last edited by a moderator:
RayClay said:
Miss Brooks Workout?

You beat me to it. I was about to post....
brooks-poster.jpg

Can she play the 3-4 and what's her time in the 40?

NavinR.Johnson said:
At first glance I thought this was gonna be another cheerleader thread
Please don't encourage PATSNUTme to start a favorite actor thread, not with his Leon DeCaprio crush! :bricks:

Here is what I've read so far from Different boards

He was kicked off UVA because of the following issues:

"Brooks was arrested in March 2003 on a marijuana possession charge.

According to two sources, Brooks failed multiple drug tests for marijuana use during college.

That led to the school's dismissal of him from the team this winter."

Yes his workouts were stated from being "GREAT" to "BUST".. And people who claim to have seen him said he was either A MONSTER or BIESEL like (lost)

THEN People claim he could have challenged Hawk as a top LB this year..

My take is that teams/scouts/fans are looking at him differently.. He may be weak in a 4-3 but a stud in a 3-4..

We have a team full of veterans that can keep this guy in line (if character is an issue).. We've all been young and done the same stupid thing over and over again.. The guy has talent (top LB in the country in highschool).. And to the contrary to some saying "all in or nothing", I still think there is value here. We should get some good COMP PICKs this years with our FA loses.. a 3rd of 4th round offer going to hurt? I wouldn't think so.. But that is my take..

BTW BIESEL stinks.. :p

Did the Pats attend??

The local rag here in charlottesville had a story in the sports section about the work out. They reported that 31 teams had representitives present, the vikings being the one team missing.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes