PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: MangIdiot under fire for benching Pennington

Status
Not open for further replies.
Again, I'd stress, if Brady topped out at his 2001 short pass only routine, that would have likely been the only Super Bowl season.

That works for awhile but once defenses know for certain a QB can't burn them deep, that severely limits what the entire offense can do - including the short game, as defenses will stack guys on the line.

The only similarity to Brady circa 2001 is if Pennington was ever going to win a Super Bowl it would have had to have happend in 2002 before defenses knew what a limited QB they had on their hands.

I agree with you and understand what your saying. I was only making a comparison strictly based on the 2001 passing game i.e. Brady short passes not going deep and when he did he wasn't very accurate.

My point is he is not a horrible QB and he will start somewhere next season. To many truly bad QB's out there.

Interesting.

Monday on The Big Show, BB asked the crew as he was leaving "Here's my question to you: Clemens or Pennington?". It sounded like a shot at the Jets for not playing Pennington, and coincidentally, these reports came out the next day.

I personally think Chad is a good QB. When you look at the starting QBs around the league, you might even be able to fit him in the top 20. He can't stretch the field, but he makes good decisions (and hasn't had the best O-line) and is quite accurate. I would think most Pats fans were happy to see Clemens starting over Pennington.

While it's not an exact comparison, I do think that the same way Brady was a winning QB in 2001, is how Pennington is like, and it works. Pennington is basically Brady circa 2001, without significant improvement since then. And don't forget Pennington always got a few pass plays where his guys took it to the house off of short pass completions or off some sort of glitch.

Anyways, arm strength is severely over-rated. Pocket presence/movement, accuracy, and identifying the high percentage target are what make winning QB's.
Some scholar needs to do a study about this. I swear, even weak armed guys like Pennington are winners in the NFL. The name of the game is ball control, eating time, slowly moving down the field... this is so huge, it screws up the opposing offense and also rests your defense.

Tom Brady won the SB in 2001. Chad Pennington was benched by early Novemeber with his team eliminated from the playoffs in 2007.
I just cannot fathom how anyone is calling Chad Pennington a 'winner'. What has he ever won?

although not all his numbers stack up, pennington's completion percentage over his career is higher than that of brady and manning. chad's is 65.3, manning has a 64, and brady 62.9. yards per completion is up there with the best also at 7.1, mannings 7.7, bradys 7.2. the dude is not a complete bum. im not saying hes great, but there are certainly worse qbs in this league

Tom Brady won the SB in 2001. Chad Pennington was benched by early Novemeber with his team eliminated from the playoffs in 2007.
I just cannot fathom how anyone is calling Chad Pennington a 'winner'. What has he ever won?

Come on now, be fair. Brady wouldn't have won much of anything playing on those Jets squads while being coached by Herm Edwards.

Pennington isn't a starting QB in this league. At least he wouldn't be on a good team. He can't throw 15 yards downfield. Granted, he's incredibly accurate, and has great anticipation with his throws, but he's not taking anyone to the promise land. The Jets need to play Clemens, cuz Pennington is niether the present, nor the future.

if vinny testaverde, shaun hill, david carr, and BROCK BERLIN can start multiple games, chad pennington can most definatly be a starting nfl quarterback

I loathe Mangina that's all I will say on the subject the Jet's have always been far and wide the Patriots biggest adversaries that is until Peyton came around.
Now I'd have to call it even.

The point they're making - and I'm not disagreeing - is that Pennington when healthy was good enough to help get the Jets to the playoffs.

Seems to me that's pretty much the one and only goal of Woody Johnson (*giggle*) - not to have a winner, but to tease the fans enough to keep watching and attending and thinking they've got a chance to go all the way.

Hey - there've been quite a few mediocre teams that have gotten SB rings in my opinion - they could get lucky.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back