PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NEW ARTICLE: Ten First Impressions Following Sunday’s Patriots vs Colts Win

PatsFans.com Article

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
Sorry Ian, but not sure where you get the below from. It's not from watching Zappe play. Several analysts have talked about how he runs through his progressions. It's a myth that he only hits his 1st read. He's also played better than Mac UC, which is odd since he never did that in college. But most definitely, he doesn't look scared. Unlike our QB1.

"People calling for Zappe don’t realize that Zappe would also struggle in these situations. Instead, when he’s been on the field, most of his throws have come with plays where he’s got one or two quick reads on something relatively short or intermediate on routes that are part of the play call. Those plays don’t seem to exist for Jones, and the result has seen the Patriots struggle in the last two games."

Sorry Ian, but not sure where you get the below from. It's not from watching Zappe play. Several analysts have talked about how he runs through his progressions. It's a myth that he only hits his 1st read. He's also played better than Mac UC, which is odd since he never did that in college. But most definitely, he doesn't look scared. Unlike our QB1.

"People calling for Zappe don’t realize that Zappe would also struggle in these situations. Instead, when he’s been on the field, most of his throws have come with plays where he’s got one or two quick reads on something relatively short or intermediate on routes that are part of the play call. Those plays don’t seem to exist for Jones, and the result has seen the Patriots struggle in the last two games."
If Zappe had to sit back and read through progressions on downfield throws, he would have also gotten killed given the lack of protection yesterday. If he was in the offense where he had a couple of quick throws to make on guys coming across, that would have been a different situation. They don't - and are not doing that - which makes zero sense.

Again, they call things differently and run things differently while he's out there. Last year Jones hit guys on quick throws on intermediate routes on the run, and they picked up extra yards instead of throwing downfield as often as they are. We all have eyes. It's absolutely not the same, and Dan Orlovsky has been pretty clear about it, and he's broken down the play differences. Zappe did the same things Jones did last year when he was out there because they called it differently.

Last edited:

I'm writing something else now, but this quote from his press conference after the game also provides some context into how he's operating out there, which tells you what's called obviously plays a part also.

"Sometimes you miss things that people – you don't know if you missed it or not on the field You walk off and are like, darn, I looked at the picture. Looked like it was there, but my eyes were starting where they were supposed to start," explained Jones. "Sometimes that's how it is. A lot of those sacks too, it's just on me to get the ball out to the open guy. Doesn't have to be an explosive play every time."

"Like I said, I thought the guys stepped up with a lot of our – some of our starters out. That was really good. But got to watch the film and see how it really was. It's all about timing and footwork. Does it match up to the play? Does your drop match up to the route to where your eyes are? Like I said, there's good players on the other side of the ball. There's a clock going on in your head. You've got to be ready for it. Can't sit there and hold the ball all day."

That tells me Patricia is telling him where to look based on the play design, and it also sounds like it's also forcing him to overthink things.

I'm writing something else now, but this quote from his press conference after the game also provides some context into how he's operating out there, which tells you what's called obviously plays a part also.

"Sometimes you miss things that people – you don't know if you missed it or not on the field You walk off and are like, darn, I looked at the picture. Looked like it was there, but my eyes were starting where they were supposed to start," explained Jones. "Sometimes that's how it is. A lot of those sacks too, it's just on me to get the ball out to the open guy. Doesn't have to be an explosive play every time."

"Like I said, I thought the guys stepped up with a lot of our – some of our starters out. That was really good. But got to watch the film and see how it really was. It's all about timing and footwork. Does it match up to the play? Does your drop match up to the route to where your eyes are? Like I said, there's good players on the other side of the ball. There's a clock going on in your head. You've got to be ready for it. Can't sit there and hold the ball all day."

That tells me Patricia is telling him where to look based on the play design, and it also sounds like it's also forcing him to overthink things.
Mac doesn't have a complete feel for things and it shows in the games he's saying all the right things but not executing on the field. IF they can't figure things out in these two weeks its going to be a tough second half Offensively.

When you combine this with what Bourne was saying, it is clear from both players that things are not working out as designed.

• Agree
Reactions: Ian
In general, we have to acknowledge that playing offense this year has been rough even for teams with superstars on offense and potential HOF QBs like Stafford.

If Zappe had to sit back and read through progressions on downfield throws, he would have also gotten killed given the lack of protection yesterday. If he was in the offense where he had a couple of quick throws to make on guys coming across, that would have been a different situation. They don't - and are not doing that - which makes zero sense.

Again, they call things differently and run things differently while he's out there. Last year Jones hit guys on quick throws on intermediate routes on the run, and they picked up extra yards instead of throwing downfield as often as they are. We all have eyes. It's absolutely not the same, and Dan Orlovsky has been pretty clear about it, and he's broken down the play differences. Zappe did the same things Jones did last year when he was out there because they called it differently.
You make it sound like all he did was throw deep. Mac had 4.9 ypa & 7.4 ypc, putting him at #22 & #21 respectively out of 26 QBs in Week 9. All his deep throws were overthrows, like he's trying to make sure they can't get picked (so nobody gets to catch them). Don't tell me Zappe wouldn't have done way better on these short/intermediate throws. Also, Zappe's numbers on deep passes are way better than Mac's. By a lot.

It sounds like he's playing scared to not make mistakes. That sucks all the natural energy out of him. That's why Zappe is so much better, since he's not scared at all. He just goes up there and whatever Patricia calls, he just flings it. He sees the field clearly.

It sounds like he's playing scared to not make mistakes. That sucks all the natural energy out of him. That's why Zappe is so much better, since he's not scared at all. He just goes up there and whatever Patricia calls, he just flings it. He sees the field clearly.
The play calls are simply different when he's in there. I didn't invent this notion, it's painfully obvious, and everyone has been saying that since the Chicago game.

It has been my feeling that Mac is trying way too hard to do exactly what the coaches are asking for and not allowing himself the leeway to adjust to the instantaneous events. He seems a lot like the James MacArthur character in The Bedford Incident who gets so jumpy under his "coaching" that he winds up nuking a Soviet sub.

You make it sound like all he did was throw deep. Mac had 4.9 ypa & 7.4 ypc, putting him at #22 & #21 respectively out of 26 QBs in Week 9. All his deep throws were overthrows, like he's trying to make sure they can't get picked (so nobody gets to catch them). Don't tell me Zappe wouldn't have done way better on these short/intermediate throws. Also, Zappe's numbers on deep passes are way better than Mac's. By a lot.
He didn't throw deep, but the point is that what they're running isn't allowing him to operate. He's not under center, there was no quick drop, fire it out there like there was when Zappe was in there, or like there was last year.

I'm working on something to make it painfully obvious how different the contrast is, and you'll be able to view it with your own eyes rather than just take mine - or everyone else's - word for it.

The play calls are simply different when he's in there. I didn't invent this notion, it's painfully obvious, and everyone has been saying that since the Chicago game.
Three things have come out since Beddard started putting that narrative out there:

1. Mac is asking for more shotgun plays because that's what he did in college.
2. Mac is asking for more RPO plays because that's what he did in college.
3. Mac hasn't performed well since entering the NFL in PA UC plays (per Lazar).

This narrative is nonsense. Whatever plays Patricia is calling for Mac is what better suits his playing style. He's not sandbagging him with plays he can't perform. If he's calling plays different for Zappe, it's because he's a rookie with limited 1st team reps during TC and he only received 1st team reps during 2 of the 4 games he played in. The notion that a rookie is going to get the same plays that a 2nd year veteran who is way more familiar with the playbook (playbook hasn't changed) is laughable.

The notion that a rookie is going to get the same plays that a 2nd year veteran who is way more familiar with the playbook (playbook hasn't changed) is laughable.
The point you're missing is the style of plays they're running have been different, and obviously, it's not working.

Not that any of this matters. If it continues, Jones won't be here after this season. He'll be a peg they turned into a square that no longer fits in the round hole Patricia created, and it will be Zappe next season and everyone will just move on.

Speaking of which, SNF gave him a shoutout last night that will probably make you happy ;)

He didn't throw deep, but the point is that what they're running isn't allowing him to operate. He's not under center, there was no quick drop, fire it out there like there was when Zappe was in there, or like there was last year.

I'm working on something to make it painfully obvious how different the contrast is, and you'll be able to view it with your own eyes rather than just take mine - or everyone else's - word for it.

See above, he's not UC because he hasn't been very good at it. Unless Lazar (who's become a Patriots shill) is lying.

He was UC the entire 1st QTR. Results: 46 yards (w/ 24 coming from Jonnu's screen pass).

Edit: 46 yds incl. runs.

Last edited:
"...Thornton caught just one pass on four targets for a 5-yard reception on Sunday, with Jones continuing to struggle when it comes to targeting him on deep passing plays. It’s clear that IF they EVER do finally start connecting it will be electric given that Thronton has some amazing speed but to this point, it remains an issue..."

fify

Reactions: Ian

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3