PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Moving the Chains reviewed

Status
Not open for further replies.

ironwasp

Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job
Reaction score
I have just finished reviewing Charles Pierce's excellent biography of Brady on my blog. Rather than post the whole thing here, if you are interested in it, you'd be most welcome on the site and any feedback much appreciated.

Material Witness

Happy Thanksgiving.

I was just looking through a copy at a relative had bought at his house today. Looked interesting. I periodically work on Lavin's books, and I have yet to get to Halberstam's. But I do hope to get to this one some day as well.

A superb review which I much enjoyed. I will be coming back to your blog, since I too am a crime fiction addict (in recovery).

A question to those of you who have read the Pierce book. One of the charming things about Brady is that he is happy to be a playful little boy with his buddies (see the Tom-Matt Cassel wars). This is something that Americans like in their heroes (wouldn't go down so well in France, Germany, Italy). Is that side of Tom discussed?

I read the book about a month ago and don't recall too much about the 'boyish' side of Brady. I was actually disappointed that the writer didn't go more into the friendships he has since he as just a boy. He has two best friends from a very young age -one I actually met a couple of years ago at a game in the Club seats/area of Gillette. His name is Steve and he and Brady go back to pre kindergarden. He has another friend from way back that actually moved here about 3 years ago and works in the city as a stock broker -his name is Kevin -Kevin was there that day, but was preoccupied with some really hot girls at the time. This guy Steve, who seemed pretty cool, said that the 3 of them were inseperable growing up. They went to the same schools and played all of the same sports. Steve and Kevin were regulars at many Michigan games and Steve said that 'Tommy' has changed very little and even he was amazed at how normal he acts. One comment that struck me with Steve was that he said most of their fun times these days are now spent in New York or Vegas -both of which he said Brady loves and visits quite often in the off season. He loves both because he can melt into the scenery without much kaos unlike Boston where he said they usually hang out at his place or friends houses and play pool and watch movies where also Koppen and Paxton are regulars. The comment he made that had an impression on me was that Tom refers to himself as the 'freak show' when he goes out in Boston and hates how his presence affects his buddies and family and gets very uncomfortable for all of them. He hates being the center of attention and avoids it like the plague. Steve said that he goes out soley based on his mood and at times he is very relaxed and can handle it, but most times he feels like he is just a distraction and can't be himself with his friends and has to switch on the 'Tom Brady professional athlete' mode to 'Tommy Brady normal guy' mode. He is very concious of both personas he has to protray and almost has a split personality and Steve said that Brady even calls it his 'phoney side' versus the real him.

I was hoping the book would get both of these lifelong friends input because I think both would offer more about the person instead of the athlete, but I think the book only mentions them and really goes more into his teammates from college and of course his current teammats feelings about him. I talked to Steve for about 15 minutes and was fascinated by the conversation. To us Brady is a Godlike symbol of what we would all dream about being - the superstar Superbowl winning QB of our favorite team, but to him/they he is just Tommy, a pretty simple guy and no big deal.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents