PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Most likely cuts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Feep_FLA

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
We all know we have to cut some pretty good players and some bubble players.
Its a fact of life teams have to face year in, year out. Duane Starks: too expensive/ cap hit= see ya.... Tyrone Poole? I dunno if he's here next year. Dan Klecko? Surprised he's lasted this long. Anyone smarter than me care to post a list of possible cuts? I would like to see that. The mystery man coming going into this years camp for me is Claridge. He's on IR but no one has seen hide nor hair of him. Gus Scott? James Sanders? Hank Poteat? I could put a solid quarter of this team on the potential cut/release list..... Thoughts from y'all?

The only cuts that I would make before training Camp would be those who didn't cut it last year AND we can save on the cap.

So going by Miguels list there would be only 3. They are Starks, Poole, and Chad Brown. Everyone else I would take into TC because it makes no sense to cut them now.

I'm going to get some arguement about C. Brown but he showed me less than Biesel. Even when moved outside he didn't show anything.

PATSNUTme said:
The only cuts that I would make before training Camp would be those who didn't cut it last year AND we can save on the cap.

So going by Miguels list there would be only 3. They are Starks, Poole, and Chad Brown. Everyone else I would take into TC because it makes no sense to cut them now.

I'm going to get some arguement about C. Brown but he showed me less than Biesel. Even when moved outside he didn't show anything.

Thanks for the reply PatsNutMe

I meant after training camp..... when all is said and done. I should have made that clearer..... My error. Now that I think about it its a stoopid question anyway, so many variables. I just can't help myself from wonderin'.......

OK. I did think that you meant upcoming cuts. There are going to be a lot of cap casualties coming up during the FA period.

Still it's a perfectly interesting topic to predict who will be cut next August (if not sooner).

I think Guss Scott gets at least one more year to try to come up with a healthy year. Poole I expect is gone any way you slice it. Starks may get another look, and if he really was injured this past season (as an excuse for why the rough year), he may yet make the team in a big way. My guess is Claridge sticks around another year but plays so little that we still don't know how he's doing a year from now, sort of like Klecko this year. Last summer I predicted Bethel Johnson to be cut and he wasn't, but I still think he should have been, so I'll predict it again this year.

Sanders will stick, I think. Marquise Hill gets another year as a low-paid backup. Beisel stays for 5 more years, I predict. Chad Brown strikes me as gone in a close decision.

I think Fauria is gone, as much as I like him and maybe Bethel too, he has done almost nothing for us lately. It's a shame, with all of his talent, but he is fragile!

Sanders stays for sure.

Santonio Thomas will supplant Klecko.

Poteat will stick in favor of a more expensive Poole/C. Scott/Starks.

Depending on the Hawkins/Stone situation, G. Scott and Ventrone will duke it out.

Last edited:
Bill's Girl said:
I think Fauria is gone, as much as I like him and maybe Bethel too, he has done almost nothing for us lately. It's a shame, with all of his talent, but he is fragile!

At the moment we have two recievers undercontract and three tight ends. I don't think cutting one of each is going to help the situation out.
Amazingly enough, both Fauria and Johnson may survive.

fgssand said:
At the moment we have two recievers undercontract and three tight ends. I don't think cutting one of each is going to help the situation out.
Amazingly enough, both Fauria and Johnson may survive.

Actually we have 6 WRs (granted only Bethel and Branch are all that's left from the 2005 squad):

Branch
Johnson
Smith
Stone
McGrew
Musinski

-Both Stone and Smith have NFL experience, with Smith mostly at returner. Obviously, they'll have to be great in training camp to get a spot.

Bam is an ERFA and could be the #6 WR/CB/KR.

Cedric James is also an ERFA but most likely won't be re-signed just to be on the NFL-Europe Non-Football Injury Reserve list for a 3rd straight year after being drafted in the 4th round of the 2001 draft by the Vikings.

As far as TE's go, there's still only two. Graham and Watson. Fauria is an UFA.

Dan Klecko
Tyrone Poole
Matt Chatham
Michael Stone
Bethel Johnson
Heath Evans

Chad Brown, for the cap savings
Heath Evans, if we draft anyone remotely similar to a HB
Christian Fauria, unless he resigns for the min
Doug Flutie, that's a career
Bethel Johnson, his time is running out-- may go the way of PK Sam
Gene Mruczkowski, back to the shadow roster with you
Tyrone Poole, not reliable
Hank Poteat, back to the shadow roster with you
Duane Starks, for sure

I actually think Guss Scott is fairly likely to get a roster spot, based solely on ST ability and cap hit. And I think people seriously underestimate how highly the staff values Matt Chatham-- I think he'll be back, just like Don Davis was re-signed.

QB(3) Brady, Cassel, (Rookie or FA)
RB(4) Dillon, Faulk, Pass, (Evans or rookie)
WR(6) Branch, Givens*, (Johnson or Free Agent), Brown*, (Dwight or Smith), (Rookie or FA or Davis)
TE(3) Graham, Watson, (Fauria or rookie)
OT(4) Light, Kaczur, Gorin, (Ashworth or Yates)
OG/C(4) Mankins, Koppen, (Neal or rookie), Hochstein

NT(2) Wilfork, Wright
DE (5) Seymour, Warren, Green, Hill, (Klecko or rookie)
LB(10) McGinest, Colvin, Bruschi, Vrabel, Banta-Cain, Beisel, Claridge, (Brown or rookie), Izzo, Chatham, Davis
CB(4) Samuel, Hobbs, Gay, (Scott or rookie)
S(4) Harrison, Wilson, Sanders, Scott

... plus Vinatieri*, Miller, Paxton.

* = not under contract!

Interesting that, once again, the roster doesn't have enough room for a full class of rookies to make the 53-man. And in every case where a rookie could make the roster, we actually have a pretty good name to pencil in if we cant find an answer in the draft: Evans, Fauria, Neal, Klecko, Brown, Scott... I actually like ALL of those players.

Last edited:
4 OG/C is too shallow.

Mruczkowski, my friend, will stick on the roster. Hell, I hope he starts.

Thanx for all the replies

All the replies were well-articulated and have merit. I keep looking at all these players and realizing we have 9 picks in the draft, not even counting any compesitory picks and I think: where are all these gonna fit? This draft class is a strong defense field. If I was a bubble player on the team defensively I would gearing up for the fight of my life. I like the patriots chances in being dominant this 2006 season. For what its worth my sure fire cuts at the end of camp.

Dan Klecko: Can't find a role
Heath Evans: Pass beats him out
Tyrone Poole: Cap savings/injuries
Bethal Johnson: Given every chance
Duane Starks? I just don't know....expensive cap hit if he stays
Chad Scott: Gut tells me he's gone
Hank Poteat: gotta make room for rookies

Am I crazy? :eek:

I'm sure BB will trade away at least some of those picks.

For sure Pats1, I can't see them picking more than 6 players. 7 absolute max.
I think they stock-piled picks to more up and down the board this year with ease. I am really, really looking forward to this years draft. :rocker:

drew4008 said:
Dan Klecko
Tyrone Poole
Matt Chatham
Michael Stone
Bethel Johnson
Heath Evans

Why do people say that the Pats are going to cut players who are currently UFA?

And I have to disagree about Stone. The guy was the best special teamer that we had. Yes, better than Izzo and Davis and I believe that he will be brought back.

Fauria is a free agent, and even if he wasn't I'm not so certain he would make our team. While he has been a productive blocker, the biggest part of his game is being a clutch receiver. However, he has dropped a good percentage of the few balls thrown his way the past few seasons.

I agree...hard to cut what NE does NOT have...there are some I think will be brought back for short money...added to the mix...one never knows with injuries what COULD happen.. Bethel is still a possibility..but I would consider bringing ADavis back...(same role and seems to get it more than BJ..) Childress also SHOULD be back...gotta like his versatility...Fauria?? Maybe...
the two on the OL..Ashworth..Neal..needed..really...and they are NOT breaking the bank...Stone,,Hawkins Poteat??? Hank should eb brought back..(a real shadow roster guy)...Both Hawkins or Stone may be OK..but BB will have soething in mind..
Who may be cut?? Starks..Poole..maybe CBrown..but they may have a plan for him..more OLB than ILB...I do think they have to do something with WillieMcG..but again so many things depend on the CBA..but cuts??

Keep Hawk and Stone.

Hank is Team Captain of the shadow roster. We'll keep you're locker waiting again Hank, and the echos of Box's bongos will forever reverberate through the Poteat Bandwagon until you return.

Poole... gonzo. Starks... still not sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News