PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Linebacker: Who plays what role and how often?

NEPettyOfficer72

On the Game Day Roster
Reaction score
We can all concur that this is the most talented and deep group of healthy active linebackers since 2007, that form an intellectual and versatile corps capable of lining up all over the place. With that being said, who plays what position at linebacker? And how often will they be in that role? Any thoughts or feedback?

Capabilities and past positions whether in pros or college

Jerod Mayo - ILB/OLB, Coverage
Brandon Spikes - ILB/OLB and DE in college (Worked on Coverage this offseason, We'll see)
Don'ta Hightower - OLB/ILB/DE, some SS in college, Coverage
Jamie Collins - OLB/DE/SS Hybrid, Coverage, (Labeled beast in college)
Dane Fletcher - ILB/OLB and some DE in college
Steve Beaurharnais - ILB/OLB
/ Rob Ninkovich - OLB/DE Hybrid, Coverage
Michael Buchanan - OLB/DE Hybrid (Labeled draft sleeper pick)
Jermaine Cunningham - OLB, DT and DE (Very versatile guy, but never emerged)
Adrian Wilson - SS/OLB, in the box, Coverage (lost some speed to cover TE's, we'll see)
Jake Bequette - DE/OLB
Chandler Jones playing some OLB in a 3-4?
Marcus Benard - OLB/DE Hybrid

That's what training camp and then gameplans are for. Interesting puzzle, and there are a number of interesting possibilities, most of which will never happen, simply because there are so many possibilities. I suggest you break this thread out right before the first regular season game. It will make a good conversation then.

I think this is a great group with a ton of versatility. I really wish they were running a 3-4 because I think this group would be awesome. As it stands, it's going to be tough to get alot of these guys on the field together, especially in nickel situations.

I think this is a great group with a ton of versatility. I really wish they were running a 3-4 because I think this group would be awesome. As it stands, it's going to be tough to get alot of these guys on the field together, especially in nickel situations.

The biggest issue is how to not waste Spikes/Hightower.

Barring a JJ Watt dropping to us in the draft, I don't see any chance we keep Spikes AND do the 34 next season.

43 base
Hightower
Spikes
Mayo

Passing situations
Collins
Hightower
Mayo

Run Situations
Hightower
Spikes
Mayo

Nickel
Collins/Hightower
Mayo

Dime
Collins/Mayo

Yet to be seen if Collins will play any DE in passing situations

Here is a good read on Hightower that was just posted:

Dont'a Hightower enjoys versatile linebacker role | Boston Herald | Jeff Howe

Hightower’s physicality makes him extremely visible on the field, but his football knowledge and dedication allow him to succeed in the meeting rooms. He learned coach Bill Belichick’s system through Nick Saban at Alabama, and Hightower felt an instant comfort level the first time he even opened his playbook in rookie camp.

The responsibilities aren’t a burden, either — far from it, actually. Hightower has to learn how to play each of those positions, but he’d be doing it anyway. When Hightower breaks down plays, he doesn’t just zero in on his duties. He actually studies everyone’s assignments in order to better understand the entire defense.

Knowing your job is one thing, but understanding the entire concept can be integral to making the right decision when the offense changes the play on the fly.

“Really, that’s the only way that I’ve been able to learn any system,” Hightower said. “The best way to learn a defense and a philosophy is to learn why you’re doing that particular coverage — why you’re doing Cover 2, what can beat Cover 2 — because once you learn that, you’ll never forget what you have to do, your responsibility, where your help is.

“Being able to know what’s going on that specific play, that helps you and that can get you to play a whole lot faster.”​

Howe also had this to say:

Hightower told me he actually studies all 11 players' assignments for every play. Helps him grasp the entire defensive concept. Smart guy.

I really think this group of LBs has a chance to be a special unit. Lots of talent here, and young talent. Versatile, athletic, play-making group. Looking forward to seeing them gel this year.

Barring a JJ Watt dropping to us in the draft, I don't see any chance we keep Spikes AND do the 34 next season.

43 base
Hightower
Spikes
Mayo

Passing situations
Collins
Hightower
Mayo

Run Situations
Hightower
Spikes
Mayo

Nickel
Collins/Hightower
Mayo

Dime
Collins/Mayo

Ninkovich???

43 base
Hightower
Spikes
Mayo

Passing situations
Collins
Hightower
Mayo

Run Situations
Hightower
Spikes
Mayo

Nickel
Collins/Hightower
Mayo

Dime
Collins/Mayo

Right. We really have 4 LBs for 3 spots, and it's really the strength of the defense(could be 5 because I think C. Jones could play OLB in a 3-4). The problem is a lack of 3-4 DEs.

Weakside OLB: Mayo 99.9% of the time
MLB: Spikes 35%, Fletcher 10%, Hightower 55%
Strongside OLB: Hightower 45%, Collins 55%

Potential surprise: Beauharnais getting playing time at MLB.

I wonder whether Jamie Collins sees much time at DE when there's only two LBs on the field. Will it be Collins-Mayo at LB with Benard, Bequette, Buchanan etc as the sub pass rusher or Hightower-Mayo and Collins at DE. It's looking like the former, at least for now.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back