PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Larry Johnson

Status
Not open for further replies.

patriot lifer

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
LJ is scheduled to make a pittance of what he is worth this season and is expected to be the same workhorse he was last year (400+ carries). Seeing how running backs have the shortest careers of all positions and Herman Edwards is only accelerating LJ's demise in the NFL, is he actually very just in holding out?
It looks as if by the time he gets his first big contract, he will be running like a beat-up older back, essentially hurting his chance of capitalizing on all his success.

Do you remember the Curtis Martin situation?

Erily similar.

The Pats waited until his contract was finished instead of tearing up the 1st contract and signing him to a deserved extension.

Larry Johnson is gone from the Chiefs when his contract is over. Do you remember the Vermiel comment about the 'diapers' in his rookie season?

Larry Johnson is gone from the Chiefs when his contract is over. Do you remember the Vermiel comment about the 'diapers' in his rookie season?

I know if I were Larry Johnson, not making much now, I wouldn't want to play out my current contract like management wants me too. I know I am going to get beat and battered over the season and its not worth it. I would feel justified to sit out.
if they're planning on dumping him when the contract expires, then they're just going to "use him up" and give him another absurd amount of carries. I'd want outa there.

3 years at 400 carries a year won't kill a back. Remember, Johnson didn't see the field as a rookie and didn't become a regular until mid 2004.

Eddie George took a similar beating, and was an elite back for about 5 seasons. Even after that he remained a capable starter for 3 more years.

Barring injury, Johnson should have 3 elite years left in the tank.

3 years at 400 carries a year won't kill a back. Remember, Johnson didn't see the field as a rookie and didn't become a regular until mid 2004.

Eddie George took a similar beating, and was an elite back for about 5 seasons. Even after that he remained a capable starter for 3 more years.

ok. I'll buy it

I'm not so sure I buy it. I have never advocated hold outs before, however you can already hear the rumblings about LJ's mileage when it comes to trades. If this is the grief he gets for having the best 2 years minus LT a back has had in the last 5 years, then what will happen if he takes a step back. Plus Edwards is notorious for running his RB's into the ground. We all know the shelf life on RB's is not a long one, look at Dillon to see how quickly the wheels can come off on a back with mileage. I know LJ is young, but look how quickly Priest Holmes fell apart under the same workload in the same offense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft