PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Kirwan: Some people have Willis in the 2nd round

Status
Not open for further replies.

PonyExpress

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Kirwan has significant league contacts and is not one who simply stirs the pot to provoke a response. I take his comment that some talent evaluators consider Willis a 2nd rd talent at face value. This jives with the controversial views of some of our own (read: BOR). It provides another red flag to those who suspect Willis may be overrated, and hope to others who would love to see Willis drop. http://nfl.com/draft/story/10069968

Kirwan has significant league contacts and is not one who simply stirs the pot to provoke a response. I take his comment that some talent evaluators consider Willis a 2nd rd talent at face value. This jives with the controversial views of some of our own (read: BOR). It provides another red flag to those who suspect Willis may be overrated, and hope to others who would love to see Willis drop. http://nfl.com/draft/story/10069968

Here is the exact quate:
"14. Carolina: Patrick Willis, LB, Mississippi
-- Some people have Willis in the second round, but the 240-pound linebacker ran a 4.51 and the Panthers need linebacker help so they can stop worrying about Dan Morgan and his injuries."

That doesn't mean some league source told him "Willis is a second round talent" that just means some people have Willis in the second round. He could mean talking heads, or supposed "draft experts". Also, Kirwan must think he is pretty good to have the Panthers taking him at 14.

No prominent draft authority has even hinted since the combine that Willis is a 2nd rd talent- until Kirwan. In Kirwan's previous article (re: 3-4 prospects), he mentions that he has been calling around to team sources about various prospects. Therefore, by inference and/or process of elimination, the "people" Kirwan refers to are likely some of the same league insiders. This suggests that the draft boards of some nfl teams may not agree with the hype the public is being exposed to concerning Willis. I find this interesting; others may not. Then again, I am slightly deranged during draft season.:bricks:

Last edited:
This suggests that the draft boards of some nfl teams may not agree with the hype the public is being exposed to concerning Willis. I find this interesting; others may not. Then again, I am slightly deranged during draft season.

If you indeed are -- join the club.

I do agree wholeheartedly with your above post. This is the pre-draft time to pay special attention to risers and fallers. For years now, I've been saying that the most difficult facet of the draft process for fans, is the prospect projections -- not the talent evaluations.

When you consider the fact the scouts and coaches of each team are out there doing the legwork on each draft prospect, how much more informed are they than the average draft fan, or the internet draft expert? They're out there connecting with position coaches, and head coaches, from high school through the college ranks, doing character and coachability checks.

The Pats scouts are weeding out and assembling a list of the true 'football players' from the 300+ prospects, while the Pats coaches are attempting to find out which from the list can play for the Pats. I'd say that's just a tad different from what the fans do. :eek: :(

Let's not even mention film study...exactly how much access do we have to the pros game tapes? Some of us tape lots of games (from tv). Sure it's easy to recognize the impressive performances, but danged if I know if that college LB can play in the Pats defense. :confused:

So yes, it is possible (and likely), that those with 'insider' connections have the real and accurate scoop on these prospects. For myself, I continue to speculate until Gosselin comes out with his top 100 and mocks. Only then do I get a clearer picture. :)

Kirwan has Landry and Revis rising high, and Hall falling.

He also has the Patriots trading down three spots and taking the last of a group of CBs, who happens to be McCauley. Blechh. And he has a typo to boot (mixing up NO and Seattle).

He's also still giving Spencer to the Pats.

We can only hope that Willis drops to the late 1st round. Then we will see what the Patriots front office thinks when they have a chance to grab him.

I'm starting to come around on Willis or bust for LB in the first round. I was reading that Harris has short arms and Siler likes to run around blocks - both concerned me for our defense. The wildcard is Poslusny who I like if he has size potential (if he can get to 245) - that's only 7 pounds from his listed weight but he just looks frail in the lower body.

Again, though, I'll believe we take a first round LB when I see it.

I'm starting to come around on Willis or bust for LB in the first round. I was reading that Harris has short arms and Siler likes to run around blocks - both concerned me for our defense. The wildcard is Poslusny who I like if he has size potential (if he can get to 245) - that's only 7 pounds from his listed weight but he just looks frail in the lower body.

Again, though, I'll believe we take a first round LB when I see it.

You know what's strange? Willis is 242lbs, and Pos is what 238lbs, or something? Now doesn't he look smaller than that? When you see them both on the field they don't look anything close to the same size.

You know what's strange? Willis is 242lbs, and Pos is what 238lbs, or something? Now doesn't he look smaller than that? When you see them both on the field they don't look anything close to the same size.
It's like Dave Thomas. His listed size at his pro day was within an inch and 5 pounds of what Graham and Watson were listed as. But he looked smaller.

I should add the obvious, btw, Harris and Siler still interest me but I'm leery of reaching for them at the end of the first round now.

I think we should spread the word that Willis is a 2nd round talent :horn:

I think we should spread the word that Willis is a 2nd round talent :horn:

Actually maybe that is what we should do. Spread the word he sucks, so he'll fall right into NE's laps :singing:

2 years ago, when RUUD, THURMAN and company were THE LBs who were coming out, they started off beng touted as mid 1st round picks and by the draft, most people had them as mid 2nd to 3rd rounders.

So, I can legitimately that happening here with the weakness of this draft class in terms of top talent.

2 years ago, when RUUD, THURMAN and company were THE LBs who were coming out, they started off beng touted as mid 1st round picks and by the draft, most people had them as mid 2nd to 3rd rounders.

So, I can legitimately that happening here with the weakness of this draft class in terms of top talent.

Yea, but if a draft is weak in top talent won't players get somewhat over valued?
I mean, if Michael Griffin (example) would have been second/third round talent in last year draft, but this years draft is weaker, wouldn't that keep him from going on a slide?

I think guys falling from the top 15 to the 30-40 range happens more when a draft is solid, and deep at the top round levels. Last years draft was probably one of the most talented in recent history, and maybe in the entire history of the league.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes