" Just when you thought Boston sports fans were getting TOO spoiled...."

Status
Not open for further replies.

patfanken

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Just a quick stat I heard yesterday,

Since 2007, every single one of Boston's 4 major sports teams have been to their league's championship finals......TWICE. Think about that for a second. In just the last 8 years the Pats, Red Sox, Bruins and Celtics have not only won at least one Championship, they have all at least made it to the final 2 TWICE. Talk about an embarrassment of riches.

And if you really want to get crazy if you want you can add the Revolution and the local Lacrosse franchise as well. :eek:

It is crazy. Many of us went from 1986 to 2000 and got to see only 3 finals appearances. All for losses. Now we have 9 appearances in 8 years with 5 championships.

Last edited:
The "Loserville" term was coined by Gerry Callahan in a column in the Boston Herald, on Oct. 18, 2000. In it, Callahan wrote:

Boston has become the skid row of professional sports, a sad, squalid place where playoff pipe dreams go to die. Here we sit in Loserville, USA, wallowing in regret and misery, wishing someday we might find out what it's like to be Oakland or Seattle or even St. Louis. The only playoff team in our midst is the New England Revolution, although no one in this television market actually saw their final postseason game, a 6-0 humiliation in Chicago, judging by the ratings.

http://boston.sbnation.com/boston-c.../boston-bruins-celtics-playoffs-media-roundup

• Ha Ha
Reactions: ALP
The "Loserville" term was coined by Gerry Callahan in a column in the Boston Herald, on Oct. 18, 2000. In it, Callahan wrote:

Boston has become the skid row of professional sports, a sad, squalid place where playoff pipe dreams go to die. Here we sit in Loserville, USA, wallowing in regret and misery, wishing someday we might find out what it's like to be Oakland or Seattle or even St. Louis. The only playoff team in our midst is the New England Revolution, although no one in this television market actually saw their final postseason game, a 6-0 humiliation in Chicago, judging by the ratings.

http://boston.sbnation.com/boston-c.../boston-bruins-celtics-playoffs-media-roundup
What a great find, Unc. You could certainly see a negative puke like Callahan coming up with that kind of story. The 90's where certainly a desert of success for the area in all sports, just like the years since 2001 have been a rain forrest

I began following the Patriots when they drafted Jim Plunkett. I've worn the laundry ever since. I know disappointment. Sigh.

This is why I cherish every single championship, even just getting TO the playoffs. There were years when I (and so many others) went wild with excitement when the Patriots WON a game. Any game. So I get kinda of pissed when I read comments from some folks (especially in the game day threads) because it's obvious they've been spoiled. They've never known what it was like to live and die with New England's collection of misfit toys prior to Belichick. True, we had glimmers of hope in '86, and again when Parcells came onboard, and then Pete Carrol.

So I take pride in what this team has accomplished since then. I don't get TOO hyped up when they win, nor too depressed when they lose, because I (and so many others here) remember the Pre-Belichick eras.

Pretty decent results since 2007... NE/Boston teams which made finals or became champions:

Patriots
2007 – F
2011 – F
2014 – C

Celtics
2008 – C
2010 – F

Red Sox
2007 – C
2013 – C

Bruins
2011 – C