PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

John Lynch Q&A, 8/15

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/reiss_pieces/

John Lynch said:
I think I functioned well on such little sleep. I was out here early in the week, went home to discuss it with my family, felt good about the decision, came back and learned the playbook in one night, and got through it pretty good. That was a good first day

Can I call BS on Lynch? He's got to have a photographic memory and be a genius if he learned the Patriots Defensive Play Book in one night.

Can I call BS on Lynch? He's got to have a photographic memory and be a genius if he learned the Patriots Defensive Play Book in one night.

I agree but also wonder if could have been misquoted. Because, he mentions later in that interview (see below for specific Q&A) "...pulled it off for the first day" and so I think he might be referring to the plays assigned to him for that day.

----
"What was your first reaction to the playbook and scheme?
“You know, if you’ve played football long enough it’s all similar concepts, just different names for it. That can be hard because old habits die hard, and so you go through a translation. You see a defense and say ‘this is that’. But they did a great job getting me up to speed. As I said, I didn’t get a whole lot of sleep, but came out here and pulled it off for the first day. So it was good.”

----

What does he mean by his old stomping grounds?

I dont remember him playing in this area ever in college or high school - Isn't stomping grounds something you say to a place that you were there for quite a while before or an area you lived in?

Unless he means stomping grounds as to what the Broncos had done to the team during much of the decade - and thats getting stomped by them a few times :)

I wouldn't be surpised if "learned the playbook in one night" was a little tongue in cheek. It caught my eye on the first go-through. I can't imagine that a photocopier could learn that thing in one night.

I dont remember him playing in this area ever in college or high school - Isn't stomping grounds something you say to a place that you were there for quite a while before or an area you lived in?

Unless he means stomping grounds as to what the Broncos had done to the team during much of the decade - and thats getting stomped by them a few times :)

He's talking about Tampa, the next preseason opponent. :)

He's referring to playing at Tampa Sunday night. He began his career and won a SuperBowl with Tampa.

QB12

He's referring to playing at Tampa Sunday night. He began his career and won a SuperBowl with Tampa.

QB12

Oh,O.K. Thanks for answering that because the way he said that was confusing and I was like what the hell is he talking about?,But I forgot he was in Tampa when he said this - I probably would not have figured that out till sunday when I saw him on the field :)

He did go to Stanford :)

"You know, if you’ve played football long enough, it’s all very similar concepts, just different names for it."

The man has played long enough so that there is really not much you can show him that will be new to him. It takes most rookies a year to learn one team's playbook. If you already know the basic plays, all you gotta do is get the terminology down, and study the small variations that BB throws in there.
There is a good reason why BB loves picking up veterans; precisely this.

No I'm pretty sure John Lynch was lying in his press conference for no particular reason whatsoever.

Welcome aboard Lynch. We needed the safety depth when Tank Williams went down. And outside of Harrison and Meriweather we've pretty much got JAGs anyway.

The more I think about it, the more I love this signing.

Here's to it all ending where it all started for Lynch in professional football, in Tampa. Oh yes and most importantly with a SB ring!!!!

He can't even remember all his kids' names.

The other QB can throw him just by saying at the end of the cadence "Katie! Katie! Katie!"

But seriously: yeah me too... it's a serious "get" in my book

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore