Status
Not open for further replies.

pats1

PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/reiss_pieces/

October 31, 2006
Pats moves

The Patriots made two personnel moves today, releasing cornerback Chidi Iwuoma off their 53-man roster and guard/center Brian Barthelmes off the practice squad.

Iwuoma has been primarily a special teams contributor, working at the gunner position.

The Patriots didn't announce a corresponding roster move. The team's roster is now at 52 players. Running back Patrick Pass is one possibility to fill the final spot. He is currently on the physically unable to perform list.

With the release of Barthelmes, the Patriots have seven of the eight spots on the practice squad filled.

Posted By: mreiss | Time: 04:34:36 PM

Last edited:
A faint ... hint ... of a conjectural ... suggestion
that Neal and/or Hoch are ready to return.

Could P Pass be coming back??

pass may be back ...

Hoch and Neal already on roster, space cleared for Pass.

One of pats1's favorite Pats may be well on his way to returning! :D

ppass.JPG

With Yates already on the Squad, it does look like the Pats are ready to bring Patrick Pass in off the PUP list.

What I do find interesting is that there has been no report of him actually PRACTICING. My understanding (which I am sure will be corrected if wrong) is that he would have been allowed to start practicing after the Bills game and that the Pats would have until week 9 to activate him to the active roster or to IR him.

I wonder who the Pats will bring to the Practice Squad?

Willie Andrews return to health means he and Spann are the PR gunners and KR outside contain men, Iwuoma was superfluous and probably didn't show the CB skill set Collier and Pees are looking for.

Barthelmes is harder to quantify; either he didn't show the desired progress or he is just first off to make room for bringing a man down or bringing in a new skill set (like CB).

If the spot is not opened up for Pass. They move will be telling...
- if Graham will be out for an extended period they may look at a blocking TE... (Terry Jones worked out for the Pats earlier)
OR
- if Neal or Hoch are not healing it could be more O line help.... (Stevenson?)
OR
- it may also mean that Wilson is not getting healed and they need a Safety or a cover CB (Shulters, Carpenter, Strait, etc.)

If there is a more perfect system than the NFL please let me know! Where else would the last roster spot be over analyzed.

Box_O_Rocks said:
Willie Andrews return to health means he and Spann are the PR gunners and KR outside contain men, Iwuoma was superfluous and probably didn't show the CB skill set Collier and Pees are looking for.

Barthelmes is harder to quantify; either he didn't show the desired progress or he is just first off to make room for bringing a man down or bringing in a new skill set (like CB).

miDeuce said:
Could P Pass be coming back??
That's the logical answer, but why clear a 53 spot for him? They are allowed to let him practice with the team for three weeks brfore putting him on the roster or putting him or IR.

brady2brown said:
That's the logical answer, but why clear a 53 spot for him? They are allowed to let him practice with the team for three weeks brfore putting him on the roster or putting him or IR.

That 3-week period for practice/reactivation ends next Monday.

Obviously saving a little more cap space.

We'll beat you with 52!

Glad to see the recent OL player off the practice squad. With Yates and Stevenson, there is plenty of depth. A developmental LB or DB is much more important - a future TBC or Je'Rod Cherry type.

I also agree with the notion of a blocking TE. Pass is sort of superflous right now - plenty of running backs, kick returners, and midsize special teams guys.

pats1 said:
That 3-week period for practice/reactivation ends next Monday.
Yes, but activating him for practice only does not require a roster spot to be free. He can practice for 21 days after coming off PUP before he either goes on the 53 or goes on IR. Until then they only need to clear a spot on the 53 if they want him to play in a game.

Last edited:
cstjohn17 said:
If the spot is not opened up for Pass. They move will be telling...
- if Graham will be out for an extended period they may look at a blocking TE... (Terry Jones worked out for the Pats earlier)
OR
- if Neal or Hoch are not healing it could be more O line help.... (Stevenson?)
OR

If Neal or Hoch are not healing, then they wouldn't cut an extra C/G if they were planning on bringing Stevenson up. They would keep Barthelemes around unless he didn't show improvement, as Box mentioned.

cstjohn17 said:
- it may also mean that Wilson is not getting healed and they need a Safety or a cover CB (Shulters, Carpenter, Strait, etc.)

If there is a more perfect system than the NFL please let me know! Where else would the last roster spot be over analyzed.

If Wilson wasn't getting healed, then cutting Iwouma for Schulters or another Safety would make sense.

alamo said:
Yes, but activating him for practice only does not require a roster spot to be free. He can practice for 21 days after coming off PUP before he either goes on the 53 or goes on IR. Until then they only need to clear a spot on the 53 if they want him to play in a game.
That's incorrect.

From Miguel's page:

Q: What is PUP??

A: My answer is based on a Ron Del Duca's Agent Column on ProfootballTalk.Com and an Michael Fegler article regarding Rosevelt Colvin. A player who fails his club's pre-season physical at the start of training camp may be placed on the club's Physically Unable to Perform (PUP) list. A player on PUP is eligible to receive his salary, but is ineligible for games and practices; he is, however, allowed to attend team meetings. For a three (3) week period beginning with the day after the club's 6th regular season game and ending on the day after the 9th regular season game, a player on PUP may practice with his club and/or be restored to the club's 53 man roster (provided it is done before the day after the 9th regular season game). Note that there are two different types of PUP. Players that land on reserve-PUP are ineligible to play or practice for the first six weeks of the regular season. Players on active-PUP can be taken off the list at any point during training camp. Once a player is taken off active-PUP and returns to practice, he cannot be placed on reserve-PUP later. Please note that a player on PUP will count against the cap. I think but do not know for sure that players on active-PUP count against the 80-man roster limit and players on reserve-PUP do not.

Actually, based on what I've read elsewhere, that should be WEEK 6/9, not GAME 6/9.

So the earliest Pass could begin practicing was the day after week 6, or October 16th.

The LATEST he can be ACTIVATED and RETURN TO THE 53 is the day after week 9, or November 6th.

So there is only a 3-week practice period where the player doesn't count against the 53 IF the player begins practicing on October 16th. 3 weeks is the MAXIMUM.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes