PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Is Kirwan crazy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PonyExpress

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
First of all I enjoy reading Pat Kirwan. He may not have been a great personnel guy himself, and his "Kirwan Explosion Index" is goofy, but he brings enthusiasm every week and is as good as it gets come draft time for original material. What I find baffling are his mock drafts, which I have been following casually since he began posting them a few weeks back. Several times he has penciled in Ryan Khalil to the Pats at #28. This is peculiar for a number of reasons. First, Kirwan's best buddy is Pete Carroll, and if Carroll ever returns to the NFL it is a foregone conclusion that Pat will be his personnel guru. So Pat knows what Pete thinks, and most likely what Ryan Khalil thinks too. Second, it flies in the face of the Pats signing Koppen to a fat extension. I don't believe this will happen, but I find it intriguing that Kirwan has mentioned this same choice several times. Khalil would be the shocker of all shockers for me at #28.

It's not like he's suited to play guard either.
He's the classic NFL center as is Koppen.
Both are the perfect height being around 6-2 for nfl Centers and around 300 lbs.
Mankins and Neal are both 315 and 305 respectively.

First of all I enjoy reading Pat Kirwan. He may not have been a great personnel guy himself, and his "Kirwan Explosion Index" is goofy, but he brings enthusiasm every week and is as good as it gets come draft time for original material. What I find baffling are his mock drafts, which I have been following casually since he began posting them a few weeks back. Several times he has penciled in Ryan Khalil to the Pats at #28. This is peculiar for a number of reasons. First, Kirwan's best buddy is Pete Carroll, and if Carroll ever returns to the NFL it is a foregone conclusion that Pat will be his personnel guru. So Pat knows what Pete thinks, and most likely what Ryan Khalil thinks too. Second, it flies in the face of the Pats signing Koppen to a fat extension. I don't believe this will happen, but I find it intriguing that Kirwan has mentioned this same choice several times. Khalil would be the shocker of all shockers for me at #28.

Khalil is a USC guy, a pete carroll guy and Kirwan is Pete supporter. So he will pump USC players. He has not backed off the prediction lest it seem like he is pumping a USC guy for the sake of pumping a USC guy. Khalil did not get much other push running up to the draft, but now you are starting to see his name filter up into the late first/early second round. It got the name out there. There is abosultly no reason to look at center in the drat, the patriots just signed Koppen to a long term deal. He brings up great points, and would have expected him to eventually change the pick, but I think he picked up on the undercurrent of his mock being influenced by other things then BPA.

This is not too different to Harris's stock rising around the nflblogsphere right after A. Schien starting pumping the guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News