PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

If the NFL's officials don't know what PI is, then how should any player?????

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trot

Practice Squad Player
Reaction score
The NFL refs have no clue what PI is: they call it differently from game to game, quarter to quarter. That PI non-call in the Boys-Carolina game had WAY more more contact than many we've seen called throughout the year: the receiver was mugged, fer chrissakes. It's a fugging joke, it really is. The refs have NO idea what they are doing out there. It's just disgusting.

Last edited:
untill PI is reviewable, you shall be forever frustrated.

not sure if they could possibly screw it up more. if nothing else, it would be nice to see some kind of consistancy

Review would be horrible---ticky-tack this, ticky-tack that. They should just LEARN THE DAMN RULE and enforce it properly FFS.

C'mon guys ... the fix is in !!! The cowboys have gotten several non-calls like that blatant PI call over the last few games. Who are we kidding. The refs screwed the Pats last year in the AFC champ game ALLOWING the colts to get to the SB. They tried to screw them again this season playinig the colts. Jones is a very powerefull guy in the NFL.

The fix is in and it's disgusting to watch this sport sometimes because of it.

Review would suck: they would screw it up even more.

Yup ... it is what it is. So you make enough good plays to negate the B.S.

Yup ... it is what it is. So you make enough good plays to negate the B.S.

True dat, but it would be great to see professional refs earning their $$ out there. IIRC, NFL refs are not full-time--the only ones in pro sports who hold fulltime jobs on the side (I think this is still the case).

Review would be horrible---ticky-tack this, ticky-tack that. They should just LEARN THE DAMN RULE and enforce it properly FFS.

The games would just get longer with every pass play being reviewed

The games would just get longer with every pass play being reviewed

EVERY pass play? Nobody said anything about every pass play being reviewed. PI should be the only reviewable penalty as it is the only one (right?) that is enforced at the spot of the foul.

The should make it reviewable or make it a 15 yarder.

Do you think PI has become distorted since the Colts made a big stink about it? It seems the officiating has become worse the past three years starting with the Steelers SB run.

I've always stated I don't think PI should put the ball on the one yard line in the red zone. it should be half the distance.

As for the non-calls maybe they've been there all along, but you ahve to admit the Pats have been on the short end of alot of these calls in the PLAYOFFS. Not the regular season, the PLAYOFFS.

I thought there would be more commentary on last nights calls. Carolina got robbed. Even at full speed, that was an obvious PI. How do they miss that call and then supposedly get the catch by Smith right, which I still don't really understand.

Would the average NFL head referee even know how to review for PI if they went under the hood?

When is the last time any of the current NLF refs were a field judge or back judge? Most get promoted from umpire or head linesman. You probably have refs in the league who haven't thrown a PI flag, if ever, since high school.

It's one of the kicks I get out of football message boards. You'll see all sorts of griping about a crew that gets tagged on the ref, which demonstrates zero understanding of 7-man referee mechanics. People here love Ed Hochuli, for example. If he had to go under the hood and look for PI he probably wouldn't even know what to look for. The ref's job in 7-man on PI is to wait until the back judge comes up to him to tell him what the flag was for and then to call it.

that is why then need full time officals and then once they are there they need to be on the compation committee

that is why then need full time officals and then once they are there they need to be on the compation committee

They don't need full-time officials. They simply need consistent interpretations of certain key calls, such as pass interference.

Do you think PI has become distorted since the Colts made a big stink about it? It seems the officiating has become worse the past three years starting with the Steelers SB run.

Agree on both points, but I think they were actually separate issues.

For a while now, the Colts have gotten far more than their fair share of phantom calls. Either they're the most disciplined team in the history of professional sports and opposing teams just can't resist setting record penalties against them, or there's bias. Whether that bias is premeditated or not, who knows, but IMHO it's pretty obvious that it exists. And whether we (NFL fans, not just Pats fans) agree that there is bias in favor of the Colts or not, we should all agree that the makeup and operation of the competition committee is a huge, HUGE conflict of interest.

Information about the CC:
Composition of the Competition Committee

Now, Colts aside, let's move on to the Steelers. Super Bowl XL featured the most egregiously biased officiating I'd ever seen. Well, until the Pats-Colts game this year. I don't see how anyone who watched that Super Bowl could come away feeling anything other than absolutely disgusted. Steelers fans, too. No one should want to win a Super Bowl because the zebras gave you a helping hand.

With all of the ridiculous subplots, the fix was in from the start. Let's see, there was:
  • Jerome Bettis retires after winning Super Bowl in hometown
  • "One for the Thumb"
  • AFC wild card triumphing against all odds to beat the NFC top seed
  • Ben Roethlisberger becoming the youngest QB to ever win a Super Bowl
  • Bill Cowher finally wins a Super Bowl before retiring

And I'm sure I'm missing a few. Of course, Bill Cowher didn't retire until the year after and "Big Ben" broke the record for worst passer rating ever in a Super Bowl, but otherwise it all fell into place.

That farce of a championship still pisses me off. :mad:

Again, the refs have no goddam clue what is or isn;t pass interference. Absolute horses*it call on Samuel. Seriously. How does a player know what is or isn't allowed?

Last edited:
^brought up because Samuel play? i agree..another bad PI call

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes