PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

If NFL got its way, who would win Pats/Colts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
too bad for the NFL

it's going to be Brady vs Rivers :D

I'm not entirely sure what it means for "the NFL" to "get its way." Who all are we talking about?

Roger Goodell? Ultimately, he's just an employee, and his bosses, the owners, all have their own individual rooting interests -- especially Bowlen, Kraft, Irsay and Spanos.

The league's competition, business and finance committees are all part of one or another teams' organization, so they, like the owners, have their own teams' rooting interest.

So I'm not sure there really is an entity called "the NFL" that's sufficiently coherent to "want" a particular outcome.

At first I was going to say everyone would want the Colts, or specifically Andrew Luck, to set up a face-off between the old guard and the new guard, so to speak. Plus, I think the NFL or a large portion of its fans, is sick of the Patriots. But then as I read through the responses and thought about it more, I decided that those of you who said Brady vs. Manning, because it might be the last great face-off between those two, are correct.

Even though this year IS all about Manning, if it's Manning vs. Brady, they can set it up perfectly as, "Manning gets to vanquish his one true foe as a cap to his greatest year ever!" or some such horse crap. Plus, losing the Patriots fan base for ratings (many of whom probably could not bear to watch Manning v. Luck) wouldn't be an NFL ideal.

Contrary to the NFL's wishes, I am still hoping Philip Rivers has one good game (but only one, LOL) left in the tank!

I'm not entirely sure what it means for "the NFL" to "get its way." Who all are we talking about?

Roger Goodell? Ultimately, he's just an employee, and his bosses, the owners, all have their own individual rooting interests -- especially Bowlen, Kraft, Irsay and Spanos.

The league's competition, business and finance committees are all part of one or another teams' organization, so they, like the owners, have their own teams' rooting interest.

So I'm not sure there really is an entity called "the NFL" that's sufficiently coherent to "want" a particular outcome.

Oy, you must be an engineer...

Very true.

But for those that subscribe to conspiracy theories, the 'NFL' would be seeking to maximize profits, complete with back-room agreements that take care of individual interests. Or if you prefer, what pair of teams would achieve the highest ratings, so that the league can use that in the next round of negotiations for a television contract, or what pair of teams will result in the most sales of apparel and other NFL-licensed products?

I would assume a Pats-Broncos game would be their first choice, followed by a Colts-Broncos game; San Diego would be the one team the networks and other NFL business partners would least prefer to advance.

In the NFC it's much more difficult to speculate what they would like best. The 49ers would probably be the top choice of the networks because San Francisco is the largest television market of the eight teams remaining in the playoffs, and they have a now-familiar name and face to market the game with Colin Kaepernick. Seattle is the second largest NFC market and you have the revenge/rivalry factor, but New Orleans with Drew Brees has the most familiar NFC player to market to draw in additional casual fans. Another possible consideration would be an east market team (Carolina) versus a west market team (Seattle).

The NFL was obsessed w/Brady/Manning in the regular season and got an epic game. Imagine how badly they want a playoff rematch.

If the NFL could setup their perfect storybook AFC Championship Game, which one do you think they would prefer.......

Brady vs. Mannig - first time in the playoffs since the 2006 season and perhaps maybe the last time ever (if Brady or Manning retires following a Super Bowl victory)

or.........

Manning vs. Colts - Peyton going against the team that got rid of their future Hall of Fame quarterback. Peyton vs. his replacement. Revenge for getting rid of him, and revenge for the loss earlier this year.

I think the league would like to see another Brady vs. Manning. There are two more things that Manning needs to finish off his 'perfect' season: beating Brady for the first time in years and winning a SB.

Brady v. Manning. Hands down.

Two reasons:

1) Another face off in what is now and will long be the storied rivalry between the two greatest QB's of their and many generations. The Luck/Colts vs. Manning/Elway story line is only of immediate and strong interest to people in Indy and Denver.

2) (Pats fans won't like this one.) Outside of New England and Patriots Nation, a lot of guys like Manning (the Papa John's guy who makes fun of himself in commercials and speaks with a down home twang) and don't like Brady (the guy married to the Super Model who touts Uggs and gets his picture taken in designer duds at trendy restaurants and society events). So, from the NFL's perspective, you would have the added element of a lot of people actively pulling against one of the players; the more intense the interest, the more likely they are to watch the contest.

This... outside New England, Brady and Belichick are hated big-time.

This... outside New England, Brady and Belichick are hated big-time.
Exactly. A lot of people would want to watch the Patriots go down in that game and tune in just for that reason.

This thread just called me and asked for a poll.

I do not think they care where the Chargers travel to.:)

I'm sure the NFL just wants Manning to beat the Bolts and the media will take care of the rest. There's the two stories the OP already mentioned the media will beat us to death with. Brady v Manning: Good v Evil, HoF QB v HoF QB, Forehead v Beautiful Head. Or Luck v Manning and the Vet v New Sheriff in town crap.

No one outside of San Diego and maybe us Pats and Chiefs fans wanna see the Chargers win this weekend.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST