PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

How is 6 years at 36K different than what the pats offered

Status
Not open for further replies.

p8ryts

In the Starting Line-Up
2020 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
Supposedly they offered 3 years 18.75 K and 5 years 31K. They all average around 6K, so it could only be the bonus.

p8ryts said:
Supposedly they offered 3 years 18.75 K and 5 years 31K. They all average around 6K, so it could only be the bonus.
Guarantees + the extra year is probably ripping up the 2006 season which gives him an extra year at the $6M rate.

The Jets probably guaranteed more money.

For the approximately 72nd time....

The Patriots offers were extensions. They become effective in 2007. After he plays 2006 for the 1.045 million his contract calls for.

Branch and his agent want his old contract torn up, and for the new one to begin in 2006.

dryheat44 said:
For the approximately 72nd time....

The Patriots offers were extensions. They become effective in 2007. After he plays 2006 for the 1.045 million his contract calls for.

Branch and his agent want his old contract torn up, and for the new one to begin in 2006.

True - except wasn't the 4MM (plus another 4MM later) signing bonus to have been paid this year - as in right away?

I am not even sure if I will sign for 6K a year.

fgssand said:
True - except wasn't the 4MM (plus another 4MM later) signing bonus to have been paid this year - as in right away?

Yes. But any new contract will likely have at least that much in SB also, so it really doesn't figure into it.

I think the difference may be in the bonusses. The Pats seem to have adopted a strategy that bonusses must be tiered. That is, the entire sb bonus does not come up front.
That is a very smart move, because with the level of sb that are being paid today, the dead money risk is huge.

If all of the defections we have seen are based on a principle that says protecting against massive dead moeny in future years is the most essential factor in contract negotiations, I am very impressed with the Pats FO strategy.

The best, and perhaps ONLY way to stay on top long term in the cap era is to prevent or minimize dead money. BB dealt with dead moeny issues his first few years here, and has drastically minimized them. I think BB has seen how much more able he is to built a long term winner when he isnt straped with dead moeny as he was at the start of his time here.

The other teams must have agreed to rip up his current contract IMO.

The Pats offer was this year 1 million plus 5 year extension 31 millions so basically a 6 years 32 millions deal. Thats 5.33 millions/year.

A 6 year 36 millions deal would of course be 6 millions/year and this deal might also have more guaranteed money.

Unless you know the structure you can't comapre deals. 6 years 32 with 8 upfront is very similar to 6/36 with 6 upfront and very different from 6/36 with 15 up front.

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft