PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

HERE'S the free agent WR to bring in...

Status
Not open for further replies.

dryheat44

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
Barely worth a mention in the sports pages, but the Texans inexplicably released WR Derrick Armstrong yesterday. Playing with an ineffective quarterback and a terrible offensive line, who in limited playing time has produced way above most WRs in the league. I'll try to add some stats when I have some time a little later.

Year Team G GS No Yards Avg Lg TD 20+ 40+ FD
2003 Houston Texans 8 1 7 75 10.7 18 1 0 0 4
2004 Houston Texans 14 1 29 415 14.3 44 1 7 1 21
2005 Houston Texans 13 3 9 115 12.8 28 0 1 0 8

That last column is first downs. The guy definitely knows where the chains are. 33 out of 45 career catches for first down. 6'2" 215. Sounds like Givens' game, but a bit bigger.

As far as non-conventional stats, he's among the league leaders in catch pct. with 75%, and his footballoutsiders metrics of value per play and points over average are through the roof.

I'm generally lukewarm-to-ice cold regarding cut WRs, but I want this guy.

Last edited:
If I remember correctly he played at NC State or Clemson and I liked him coming out of college. I agree, he would be worth a look see.

Maurice Stovall is supposed to be a bubble guy with the Bucs, I would like to see what he can do also.

I wouldn't say he has "produced way above most WRs in the league" in his playing time. We are talking about a guy who caught 9 balls in 13 games a year ago.

He's definitely worth a look given the current state of our WRs.

dhamz said:
I wouldn't say he has "produced way above most WRs in the league" in his playing time. We are talking about a guy who caught 9 balls in 13 games a year ago.

He's definitely worth a look given the current state of our WRs.

Re-read the first post...stats are up.

He hardly stepped on the field in those 13 games behind Andre Johnson, Jabbar Gaffney, and Corey Bradford. He only played offense when they went four-wide. He got 12 passes thrown his way all year.

Last edited:
p8ryts said:
If I remember correctly he played at NC State or Clemson and I liked him coming out of college. I agree, he would be worth a look see.
He was a small school guy. Arkansas-Monticello, I believe, or Arkansas-Pine Bluff

I live in Houston so I've seen a lot of him. He makes nice catches, but he's no Givens.

Johnny Z said:
I live in Houston so I've seen a lot of him. He makes nice catches, but he's no Givens.

Probably because Carr is no Brady. But if you've seen a lot of him, as opposed to the 3-4 times a year I catch the Texans, do you think he can help us? And I mean be more than a practice body.

p8ryts said:

Maurice Stovall is supposed to be a bubble guy with the Bucs, I would like to see what he can do also.

stovall..he was their 3rd or 4th rounder..he is def not on bubble.

Does anyone have any idea why he was cut?

zippo59 said:

They signed Moulds as their #2, and Kubiak's rule is that WRs at #3 and lower on the depth chart must play on several special teams. Most HCs feel the same way, including BB. I don't know why Armstrong can't play special teams. But even if he doesn't, we seem to have enough LBs and DBs to play on coverage teams that an exception could be made.

Johnny Z said:

So you live in Houston, root for the Packers and spend a good bit of time on a Patriots board?

Why?

zippo59 said:

Yes, because he catches 15 balls a year and couldn't beat out Corey Bradford and Jabar Gaffney. That would be my first guess.

I'm Ron Borges? said:
Yes, because he catches 15 balls a year and couldn't beat out Corey Bradford and Jabar Gaffney. That would be my first guess.

Since neither Corey Bradford nor Jabbar Gaffney are on the Texans, what would be your second choice, jack@ss?

dryheat44 said:
Since neither Corey Bradford nor Jabbar Gaffney are on the Texans, what would be your second choice, jack@ss?

Try again. You just said in an earlier post that he couldn't get on the field because he was behind those two stiffs. I know they aren't there anymore but my point is how good can he be if he can't beat out those guys? Get it now? Hey, I'm game. I'll take his 12 catches and 7 first downs.

Remember this:

He hardly stepped on the field in those 13 games behind Andre Johnson, Jabbar Gaffney, and Corey Bradford. He only played offense when they went four-wide. He got 12 passes thrown his way all year.

Sounds like a real find.

I'm Ron Borges? said:
Try again. You just said in an earlier post that he couldn't get on the field because he was behind those two stiffs. I know they aren't there anymore but my point is how good can he be if he can't beat out those guys? Get it now? Hey, I'm game. I'll take his 12 catches and 7 first downs.

The question asked was why he was cut. You said he was cut because of two guys who aren't on the team.

Let's look at Houstons WRs

1) Johnson
2) Moulds

I don't think there's any argument there

3) Mathis - an all-pro kick/punt returner.
4) Walter - a free agent they've sunk some money into.

Now, is it worth keeping a fifth WR on the team who doesn't play Special Teams? Some coaches won't. In general, it's not good practice, and it's one of the reasons Fred Mitchell is out of the league. Kubiak said that he released Armstrong early so he'd have a better chance of catching on elsewhere. You don't do that to the bums on the roster. He's a young player and is getting better every year. We can't say that about any of the other WRs we've been talking about on the board.

Last edited:
They said he was cut because he does not make a significant contribution on special teams.

He's better than Donald Hayes - way better.

To be honest, it shocked me that he's being cut. There were times he was the only WR making WR moves, but the Texans wouldn't know a WR from a stump. It's not Carr; it's their concept of what makes a WR:

big tall uncoordinated

Johnny Z said:
They said he was cut because he does not make a significant contribution on special teams.

To be honest, it shocked me that he's being cut. There were times he was the only WR making WR moves, but the Texans wouldn't know a WR from a stump. It's not Carr; it's their concept of what makes a WR:

big tall uncoordinated

Well, to me, you guys are answering your own question. The Patriots aren't going to sign someone to be their fourth or fifth wide receiver if he can't play special teams. I'm sorry but I just don't see teams knocking down this guy's door to sign him.

Johnny Z said:

big tall uncoordinated

Now this stiff is better than Andre Johnson? I hope that's not what you are implying.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes