PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Hanson named AFC ST'er of the week

Status
Not open for further replies.

JSn

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
Good for him. Nice to see a few high-notes and some recognition on the way out of the season.

Hanson named AFC Special Teams Player of the Week

Despite sustained winds of 30-40 miles per hour with gusts to 55 miles per hour, Chris Hanson averaged 45.0 yards on his three punts in the Patriots' 13-0 win over Buffalo -- a game where field position was critical. Hanson's best punt of the day helped change field position and set up the Patriots' only touchdown drive. In a 3-0 game in the third quarter, with New England facing a fourth down at its own 18-yard line, Hanson booted a 46-yard punt directly into the wind to give the Bills possession on their own 36. Five plays later, Jarvis Green's strip-sack gave possession to the Patriots at the Bills' 49-yard line and set up New England's only touchdown drive of the afternoon.

HOLY CRAP. Even the most fundamentally AWFUL member of the Pats' 53 manages to take home a weekly award. Good work, Hanson! Seriously. Oh, also? You're fired.

Last edited:
And he wasn't even the Patriots' best punter that day. :D

maybe they confused matt cassel for hanson

Hanson has come in for his fair share of criticism. But BB seems to like him. Ever wonder, Why?

Overlooked in all the usual punting stats are some key reasons why BB likes him. He had only 41 total opportunities due to the improved Patriots Offense that led the league in long clock-killing drives and scoring opportunities.

But of those 41 punts, he made the most of it. Only 11 were returned. The next lowest punter's figure was over twenty returns. So thirty of the forty punts were non returnable. Only 11 were TBs, and the other 19 were kicked inside the 20. Fully 75% of his kicks resulted in no runback. And good field position for the Patriots Defense.

Extraordinary. :youtheman:

PS (Hidden statistics reveal a lot. But the leading Punter in the League with a 57.0 yard average is our own triple threat Matt Cassel. )

Last edited:
Now that is amazing - I had no idea he was that effective. I have to admit I was stunned by his kick against the wind on Sunday, especially after watching Moorman's (I think he was the Bill's P) miserable 13 yarder earlier.

Those stats says that Malone stays on the practice squad.

Nice to get two awards this week, it just adds to the pleasure this season has brought. Don't get me wrong, I am disappointed by not making the playoffs, but this season was so much more satisfying than last despite the records. Last season always had a bitter taste thanks to the media, ESPN (cant include them in the former), Goodell and Spector. This season started horrifically (first Tom and then Rodney - 2 of my 5 favorite player), and then gradually got better. The losses were tough but we always won the next one.

Definitely a season to savor and remember.

Now that is amazing - I had no idea he was that effective. I have to admit I was stunned by his kick against the wind on Sunday, especially after watching Moorman's (I think he was the Bill's P) miserable 13 yarder earlier.

Those stats says that Malone stays on the practice squad.

Nice to get two awards this week, it just adds to the pleasure this season has brought. Don't get me wrong, I am disappointed by not making the playoffs, but this season was so much more satisfying than last despite the records. Last season always had a bitter taste thanks to the media, ESPN (cant include them in the former), Goodell and Spector. This season started horrifically (first Tom and then Rodney - 2 of my 5 favorite player), and then gradually got better. The losses were tough but we always won the next one.

Definitely a season to savor and remember.

Moorman is also a probowl punter ...:eek:

I was there........ In those conditions, that kick was EXTRAORDINARY. Hell, Ghost, barely, and I mean by inches, made an extra point. Conditions were that bad.

Last edited:
Hanson has come in for his fair share of criticism. But BB seems to like him. Ever wonder, Why?

Overlooked in all the usual punting stats are some key reasons why BB likes him. He had only 41 total opportunities due to the improved Patriots Offense that led the league in long clock-killing drives and scoring opportunities.

But of those 41 punts, he made the most of it. Only 11 were returned. The next lowest punter's figure was over twenty returns. So thirty of the forty punts were non returnable. Only 11 were TBs, and the other 19 were kicked inside the 20. Fully 75% of his kicks resulted in no runback. And good field position for the Patriots Defense.

Extraordinary. :youtheman:

PS (Hidden statistics reveal a lot. But the leading Punter in the League with a 57.0 yard average is our own triple threat Matt Cassel. )

Pretty good for being "fundamentally awful", I'd say.:rolleyes:

And one great surprise kick is nice. Three kicks avg. 45.0 in those conditions = outstanding.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3