PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Fox sports mock.. thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

carolinatony

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
wE DO ADDRESS 2 NEEDS...........

Patriots(from Seahawks) Paul Posluszny LB Penn State Senior 25th (+3) 22nd / 25th
Posluszny recorded 100 tackles or more in three of his four seasons in Happy Valley, an unheard of statistic for a college player. The 2005 Butkus Award winner, "Poz" will undoubtedly be a first round pick. Concerns over his right knee, however, will cause him to slip out of the top ten. With New England's linebacker corps getting older and older, they'd be thrilled to see the All-American performer sitting in their laps at 22.

28. *Patriots Eric Weddle S Utah Senior NA NA 28th / NA
One of the more intriguing prospects in the draft, Weddle is a do-everything guy who could really make an impact at the next level. Though not the biggest or fastest guy on the board, he got the job done in every game he played at Utah. In 2006, Weddle not only had 58 tackles and six interceptions at safety, but also rushed for 144 yards and scored four touchdowns at tailback. Weddle's played both corner and safety for the Utes, but can probably play wherever he's needed in the pros. In other words, he's pretty much Bill Belichick's dream player. The 28th spot may be a bit high for Weddle, but I wouldn't be stunned if he went even sooner.

I like Poz, as a Junior Seau replacement-- a guy who can eventually move Vrable back outside.

But Weddle seems like a reach in the first. At that point in the draft, you want to draft a talent on par with a guy like Polamalu. I dont think this kid qualifies.

Funny, in the latest version of their mock, they have the Pats taking HB Blades (ahead of Ted Ginn, by the way) and Quinn Pit**** (not a need, but there's no way he should drop that low). BB would only draft Pit**** as a DE-- he's too light to fit the prototype for a first round NT. But, even with Hill, Green and Wright waiting in the wings, crazier things have been known to happen (like drafting Ben Watson, even with Fauria and Graham ahead of him on the roster).

I like the Posluszny pick, but I'm not convinced that he will fall to us.

Though Weddle is definitely a "Patriots-type player," he is a massive reach in the first round. I would have taken Marcus McCauley or...well, I would have taken Marcus McCauley.

Overall, I think that this is not a very well-forecast draft. I like that Baltimore takes Troy Smith and the Texans take Adrian Peterson. However, Schrager seems to overrate most of the linebackers and underrate many of the defensive lineman. Buster Davis at #20? ABOVE Posluszny? This doesn't make sense to me.

Other criticisms: Arron Sears is not a first-round pick. I also can't see the Falcons taking another wide receiver and the Bills taking another defensive tackle.

I like Poz, as a Junior Seau replacement-- a guy who can eventually move Vrable back outside.

But Weddle seems like a reach in the first. At that point in the draft, you want to draft a talent on par with a guy like Polamalu. I dont think this kid qualifies.

Funny, in the latest version of their mock, they have the Pats taking HB Blades (ahead of Ted Ginn, by the way) and Quinn Pit**** (not a need, but there's no way he should drop that low). BB would only draft Pit**** as a DE-- he's too light to fit the prototype for a first round NT. But, even with Hill, Green and Wright waiting in the wings, crazier things have been known to happen (like drafting Ben Watson, even with Fauria and Graham ahead of him on the roster).

Poz - I wasn't sold on Poz but I saw him in the bowl game (against Tennessee I think) and I was surprised. He is much more fluid than I thought and can drops back into coverage very well. I am not sure he has the bulk to play inside for the Pats but I don't think the Patriots would want a first year player to start at LB it gives them time to let him learn the system, contribute on special teams and nickel downs. Add some beef to him and with his instincts he could become a very good starter. This wouldn't be the worst pick in the world. I am interested to see if he goes to the combine at 228 or 238, the closer he is to 245 the better chance the Pats consider him.

Weddle - Seems like a reach, I know the Patriots like versatility but a first round player should have the potential to be a starter at one position instead of floating between positions. In round 2/3 a player like this makes more sense.

I think we need CB more and would like to see us take Marcus McCauley Fresno St. and LB I like Patrick Willis but he will be gone I'm sure

I think we have to look at a S too. Rodney is aging. E.Wilson is entering the final year of his contract. I consider Hawkins/Sanders backups. Would love to get Landry or R.Nelson. Doubt they fall to 24. I can see a cb at 24. Then a S at 32. Meriweather or M.Griffin. Can probably get a decent ilb at end of round 2 or 3.

I think we have to look at a S too. Rodney is aging. E.Wilson is entering the final year of his contract. I consider Hawkins/Sanders backups. Would love to get Landry or R.Nelson. Doubt they fall to 24. I can see a cb at 24. Then a S at 32. Meriweather or M.Griffin. Can probably get a decent ilb at end of round 2 or 3.

You would be suprised about the linebackers...there is virtually no linebacker depth in this draft class. Which, coincidentally, is exactly why we would pick one in the later rounds.

As for safeties, this draft had none of any worthy value available at #21 or #28 (now #24 and #28), so Weddle was apparantly the best choice? :confused: I would have taken McCauley.

I think we need CB more and would like to see us take Marcus McCauley Fresno St. and LB I like Patrick Willis but he will be gone I'm sure

i agree...asaunte might not come back, and seau is hungry for more nfl football...he's already had a year's experience under the BB defense, the pats have to do is sign back up lb's,

if the pats manage to resign asante...then i woudl say draft a S, then LB, then in the 2nd round, draft a CB to play in the slot for nickel to develop him more

if the pats manage to resign asante...then i woudl say draft a S, then LB, then in the 2nd round, draft a CB to play in the slot for nickel to develop him more

I agree. That would make a very good defense even better!
But; we all know BB will draft something different and most likey another TE

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore