PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Former Dolphin, Raven, Ram, and Patriot O.J. Brigance diagnosed with ALS

Status
Not open for further replies.

pats1

PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
http://www.palmbeachpost.com/dolphins/content/sports/epaper/2008/03/19/a1c_brigance_0319.html

Former Dolphin O.J. Brigance determined to beat Lou Gehrig's

By TIM GRAHAM
Palm Beach Post Staff Writer
Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Medical data says O.J. Brigance probably has another year or two left.

He doesn't agree with the cold facts, doesn't seem to care he's gradually being overtaken by an opponent as undefeated as death itself.

Brigance has faith he will be the first person to beat amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, the incurable neuromuscular disorder commonly known as Lou Gehrig's disease.

He forcefully declares he will survive, says he will raise children he doesn't have yet, will go back to school and get his MBA.

A cynic would say Brigance is in denial. But when you're a God-fearing man of 38, an overachiever who beat the odds to become special-teams captain for the Miami Dolphins and win a Super Bowl with the Baltimore Ravens, there's always enough time.

"I have a peace that surpasses all understanding," Brigance said. "It's not lying awake at night, staying up all night, anguishing, eyes red the next day. No, that's not it.

"I have a confidence that I will be healed. I have a confidence that this will not end in death."

Although Brigance chuckles as if he knows something others don't while discussing the future, his disease is terminal. One hundred percent who have had it died ... slowly ... cruelly.

An outpouring of support

Brigance initially wanted to keep his diagnosis private, but as he has gotten more involved in ALS fund-raising causes, word of his battle is starting to circulate in the NFL community.

"When I found out the news, it took the wind out of my body," said former Dolphins teammate and fellow Rice alum Larry Izzo, now of the New England Patriots. "To find that out about a person that you care for, it's a shock. Someone so young ... "

That's awful. Honestly I do not know who he is, but you hate to hear that. At least he's in some positive denial. I wish him the best.

Odd...that I was just going through the 02 roster seeing his name..remembering how he was a ST expert like Izzo...so so sad t hear that...VERY sad news indeed...

I remember him as a Patriot and a Dolphin, always played hard and with heart.

Prayers out to him and his family.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes