PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Flutie's Drop-Kick... this should be his legacy!

Status
Not open for further replies.

USFLflutie

Rookie
Reaction score
I've been a fan of this guy since the "Hail Mary" - I loved the USFL and was happy to see him join the Generals in 85.

We got to see him in action during the 96 Grey Cup in Hamiltion in the CFL and I followed his herky jerky jaunt through the NFL.

One thing he always did was bring excitement to the game.

NOW FOR HIS LEGACY:

Okay, yesterday's drop kick was pointless (pun intended) and Doug himself said that the play has no real application in the NFL.

But, what if the NFL rules committee enacted a "FLUTIE RULE" - that is, make the drop-kick extra point another option for the two point conversion.

This would probably have the effect of making the overall 2-point conversion rate go up as defense would have to defend again a pass, run or kick...

and, the NFL would have an exciting new play with a "real application" that draws from its past.

I like the idea, but it seems too easy to score with to give it that extra point.

I hate you Flutie Flakes. But this is a pretty intriguing idea. :)

To be honest, yea, good for the guy, but we're in the playoffs. I'm glad he got his record, I'm glad he's happy, people are happy, but I think we got bigger things to worry about. Felger hit it right on the head when he said it was "neat". Unfortunately, all the media guys are going to talk about Flutie's drop-kick rather than actual match-ups the whole week. I'll never understand it but I personally can't stand the guy. I'm happy for him and his record but seriously, I really think half the Patriots fans would prefer Flutie over Brady just because of his one shining moment (BC hail-mary). The guy is done, he's a homer, for sure, but other than that, some people just need to get off of it. Cassel was trying to put together a good drive (I was at the game) and all you here is the crowd booing and yelling to put in Flutie...ala Michael Bishop days. Just not a fan at all.

USFLflutie said:
But, what if the NFL rules committee enacted a "FLUTIE RULE" - that is, make the drop-kick extra point another option for the two point conversion.

I like it. I'd say it's on par with difficulty with a regular two point conversion. And I'd love to see the name stick - the Flutie Rule.

It's more likely that Bill Polian will find some reason to compel the rules committee to pass a "Flutie Rule" that bans drop kicking outright - ensuring that Flutie is the last player to ever attempt it

I, however, would prefer not to see this be his legacy - there's really nothing wrong with a 20 year professional football career, including more than 14000 yards passing 1600 yards rushing, 96 TDs in the NFL being one's legacy

I seem to recall he did ok in the CFL as well. (41,355 passing yards and 270 touchdowns, holding professional football's record of 6,619 yards passing in a single season. He still holds 4 of the CFL's top 5 highest single-season completion marks, including a record 466 in 1991. His 48 touchdown passes in 1994 remains a CFL record. He earned three Grey Cup MVP awards, and was named Most Outstanding Player a record six times (1991-1994, and 1996-1997).)

Having him remembered for a drop kick in an insignficant game is slightly insulting IMO.

Last edited:
JoeSixPat said:
Having him remembered for a drop kick in an insignficant game is slightly insulting IMO.
Granted, I'm not a huge Flutie fan, but I don't see it like that at all... to me it would be a little, but sweet, shining cherry on the top of a pretty respectable banana-split. Just enough to call a bit of attention to a listing in a long column of stats, and give a bit of a smile to those who can appreciate the history and the uniqueness of the moment.

nhpatsfan said:
I like it. I'd say it's on par with difficulty with a regular two point conversion. And I'd love to see the name stick - the Flutie Rule.

Never happen. It's far too easy. Try it.

TOzgood said:
I'll never understand it but I personally can't stand the guy. I'm happy for him and his record but seriously, I really think half the Patriots fans would prefer Flutie over Brady just because of his one shining moment (BC hail-mary).

You're showing your age! If you were around to watch Flutie's career at BC, you would know that it was amazing because he kept on performing miracles, week after week after week. The oft-replayed Flutie-to-Phelan pass was noteworthy partly because it showed that Flutie could do to Miami what he had been doing to everyone else for years. In his day he was the first-ever (at a major college) to throw for 10,000 yards. etc., etc., etc., won the Cotton Bowl, etc., etc.

If you really saw all he did at BC (and for that matter Buffalo, Canada, and even the first year at San Diego), you would understand why I'm only 99% joking, but 1% serious, when I say "Bench Brady. Put Flutie in for the postseason."

P.S. Before any knee-jerk posts stream in, we should play Brady!

JoeSixPat said:
It's more likely that Bill Polian will find some reason to compel the rules committee to pass a "Flutie Rule" that bans drop kicking outright - ensuring that Flutie is the last player to ever attempt it

It's not like he did it against Indy or anything. If that were the case, I'd definitely agree there would be a new rule to ban it.

Since the BC pass when he was at the beginning of his career was called the "Hail Mary" and he's now a dad at the end of his career we should refer to the drop kick as the "Our Father".

why not

Michael said:
Since the BC pass when he was at the beginning of his career was called the "Hail Mary" and he's now a dad at the end of his career we should refer to the drop kick as the "Our Father".
by the way that hail mary against miami was by no means the beginning of his career. he played 2 1/2 spectacular years at BC, zipping around all over, making outstanding throws, running the ball up the field like no nfl QB would ever do.
more important, he had "it"--- that thing you can't define, but he could draw people at a party or in a bar start watching the game.
in the stands, he made you laugh out loud with some of the sideline-to-sideline running.
the love this region has for him is not about the hail mary. it's about the wild stuff he did every saturday for years. hail mary was just the cherry on top.

TOzgood said:
To be honest, yea, good for the guy, but we're in the playoffs. I'm glad he got his record, I'm glad he's happy, people are happy, but I think we got bigger things to worry about. Felger hit it right on the head when he said it was "neat". Unfortunately, all the media guys are going to talk about Flutie's drop-kick rather than actual match-ups the whole week. I'll never understand it but I personally can't stand the guy. I'm happy for him and his record but seriously, I really think half the Patriots fans would prefer Flutie over Brady just because of his one shining moment (BC hail-mary). The guy is done, he's a homer, for sure, but other than that, some people just need to get off of it. Cassel was trying to put together a good drive (I was at the game) and all you here is the crowd booing and yelling to put in Flutie...ala Michael Bishop days. Just not a fan at all.
Fans (so-called :enranged: ) booing Cassell fill me with contempt for such idiots. Thanks for reporting on what was happening at the game, of course I'm now grumpy, but I'd rather know. :explative

ilduce06410 said:
by the way that hail mary against miami was by no means the beginning of his career. he played 2 1/2 spectacular years at BC, zipping around all over, making outstanding throws, running the ball up the field like no nfl QB would ever do.
more important, he had "it"--- that thing you can't define, but he could draw people at a party or in a bar start watching the game.
in the stands, he made you laugh out loud with some of the sideline-to-sideline running.
the love this region has for him is not about the hail mary. it's about the wild stuff he did every saturday for years. hail mary was just the cherry on top.

Uhm it was just a joke. And I only meant it was early in his career and before he had kids and all. Sheesh.

Michael said:

Lol!!!!!!!

Box_O_Rocks said:
Fans (so-called :enranged: ) booing Cassell fill me with contempt for such idiots. Thanks for reporting on what was happening at the game, of course I'm now grumpy, but I'd rather know. :explative

That made me mad too. I understand fans wanting to see Flutie, but to take it out on a kid is wrong.

'Specially considering that Flutie's mentality these days seems to be such that there is nothing he'd like to see more than Cassell doing well.

ilduce06410 said:

I've heard that so often: all he ever did was throw a hail mary. But, of course, he did much, much more.

Most importantly, though, he's become an icon largely because of what he represents, as a symbol of what can be achieved by persevering against the odds. That's something that speaks to everyone,which is why his fame has transcended football.

The media seem to have a love hate relationship with him. Whenever he accomplishes anything, however slight, that becomes the convenient hook for media coverage and hype. By the same token, however, he is a lightning rod for ridicule whenever he messes up and for condescension when he doesn't.

It's been a unique and in my opinion, great career. I think the drop kick was a nice tip of the hat.

And who knows - maybe it could be useful in a game?

yES, useful as another 2-point option, someone call the NFL rules peeps and pass it on - GO PATS!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye